Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 9th, 2003, 05:59 PM   #1
Warden

Key differences between FCX and FCP

Some key differences between FCX and FCP:

1. Final Cut Express is DV only (NTSC and PAL frame rates only, no 24fps support).
2. Final Cut Pro supports 3rd party capture cards.
3. Final Cut Pro supports timecode, Final Cut Express does not present timecode information to the user.
4. Final Cut Pro allows you to LOG and capture.
5. Final Cut Pro includes support for RS-422 control.
6. Pro users can use OfflineRT, Express can not.
7. Pro includes three-way color correction and other advanced tools that Express does not.
8. The key-framing model is substantially different in Express. Only Motion tab items can be key-framed. Filters cannot.
9. Final Cut Pro has a Media Manager, Express does not.
10. Final Cut Pro supports EDL I/O.
11. Final Cut Pro can be extended with Cinema Tools.
12. Final Cut Pro includes Audio OMF export.
13. Pro supports Edit To Tape and Insert editing.
14. Pro can do a Batch Export.
15. FXScript is not in Express.
16. AE plug-ins are not in Express.
17. Undo: FCP = 99, FCX = 32

This is preliminary, but I believe it to be correct.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2003, 03:24 AM   #2
Major Player

So Jeff do you think it still might be some pretty good software anyway? Or would it be better to try and get the full package?
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2003, 05:48 AM   #3
Warden

Truthfully what FCX is, is iMovie Pro. The majority of the missing features are for people or studios that do major editing. The two big features are Timecode and RS-422 control. Without those, no serious editor wil look at the package. That's not to say that professional looking DV projects can't be done. It would work great for any home editing job, students learning the interface, small companies that only shoot and edit DV.

Jeff
Old January 10th, 2003, 06:09 AM   #4
Regular Crew

As i see it FCX is a great port into the FC system. Just like Avid wish with their Free DV initiative. Get the users comfortable with the system, and they will buy the bigger product when it is time to choose pro system.

Though, in FC's case, going from FCX to FCP isn't going to make you mortage the house, the car, the dog and the boat.
Old January 10th, 2003, 07:49 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Ye, but is there an upgrade path?
Simon Plissi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2003, 07:57 AM   #6
Warden

Don't quote me on this, but I think you'll be able to upgrade to the full version for the difference in price. In other words, FCX costs $299, pay an additional $700 ($999 total) and you get the full version of FCP. The upgrades will only be through Apple care and there will not be any retail upgrades. At this pont it is only rumor, but it is from reliable sources.

Jeff
Old January 11th, 2003, 08:12 AM   #7
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald : Don't quote me on this, but I think you'll be able to upgrade to the full version for the difference in price. In other words, FCX costs $299, pay an additional $700 ($999 total) and you get the full version of FCP. The upgrades will only be through Apple care and there will not be any retail upgrades. At this pont it is only rumor, but it is from reliable sources.

Jeff -->>>

I called Apple and the tech said he didn't think you will be able to upgrade. But like he said it's so new he could be wrong.
I went to the apple website and did some of the tutorials and all the specs on Express and it looks really good. It might not have a few things, but for my small business I don't need that stuff right now anyway.
Old January 15th, 2003, 11:59 AM   #8
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Zimvg304 : <<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald : Don't quote me on this, but I think you'll be able to upgrade to the full version for the difference in price. In other words, FCX costs $299, pay an additional $700 ($999 total) and you get the full version of FCP. The upgrades will only be through Apple care and there will not be any retail upgrades. At this pont it is only rumor, but it is from reliable sources.

Jeff -->>>

I called Apple and the tech said he didn't think you will be able to upgrade. But like he said it's so new he could be wrong.
I went to the apple website and did some of the tutorials and all the specs on Express and it looks really good. It might not have a few things, but for my small business I don't need that stuff right now anyway. -->>>

I'm cornfused... FCP is $299 on the apple edu sight and FCX is $249... is EDUCATIONAL pricing that different?

Because I was thinking "why pay $249 for FCX when FCP is only $50 more?"

hmmm...
Old January 15th, 2003, 12:55 PM   #9
Major Player

It makes you wonder!!! But with either one you sign agreement that you will not sale anything you make with FCP or FCX. I guess you could anyway but I'd hate to get into legal problems down the road.
Old March 11th, 2003, 10:15 AM   #10
Regular Crew

DOES FCX CAPTURE 4 CHANNEL SOUND... David LeBlanc
Old March 11th, 2003, 11:02 AM   #11
Warden

FCX is software limited to 8 tracks of audio (hardware may limit you to fewer). FCP has unlimited number of tracks. Both only allow for two channels of audio to be input and output. Additional audio hardware can be added to allow fro more I/O options.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old March 11th, 2003, 11:31 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Thank for the reply So if have 2 wireless system hooked up to audio 2 on the ma200 would FXC be able to capture the on board camera mic plus the left & right of audio 2 on the ma200 thanks David LeBLANC
Old March 11th, 2003, 11:38 AM   #13
Warden

You would have to lower your audio quality to 12 bit, 32KHz. This will give you the 4 channels you desire. However, you can only capture 2 channels at a time (2 channel I/O). You would need to sync the second capture yourself in the timeline.

Jeff

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old March 11th, 2003, 11:55 AM   #14
Regular Crew

could go alittle farther on sync second capture thanks dave
Old March 11th, 2003, 04:25 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Henrik,

You're right, the purpose of both FC Xpress and Avid Xpress dvFREE is to introduce the user to the interface, and entice them to move up.

Regarding the mortgage however, Avid Xpress DV now lists for $999, the same as FCP.

Remember, it was Protools (Avid) who introduced Protools Free, which raised the bar for audio programs.

Great article regarding this marketing strategy in the new DV mag.

-Bill
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite