DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 6th, 2003, 09:50 PM   #16
New Boot

FCX to FCP upgrade

An upgrade to FCP 4 from FCX is available from the Apple Store for $699.
Kevin Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2003, 04:08 PM   #17
Machinist Mate

Hmmm...no timecode, sounds like a major inconvenience! Plus no keyframes on filters, means you can't use Joe's Filters. But it's good that you can upgrade to FCP4.
Old April 29th, 2003, 04:21 PM   #18
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Mike,

According to the Joe's Filters site, his filters are compatible with Final Cut Express.

Joe Maller is actually a member here. Perhaps he'll chime-in.

I agree that this filter set is the best value for the Final Cut users today. I use them frequently and am grateful to John Locke for pointing them out to me.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2003, 05:19 PM   #19
New Boot

Final Cut Express

Jeff, you mentioned that FCX does not read out time code to the user. Does this mean that each new scene in a project therefore
starts at 00:00 and counts up from there? My only experience was with an earlier version of Premier, and I believe this is what it was doing. Richard
Richard Sanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2003, 10:34 PM   #20
Warden

I don't use express, I compiled the comparison from existing literature after FCE was released. FCE uses TC, but doesn't display it. I believe it shows Total Run Time (TRT) or elapsed time.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 09:32 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Apple never said FCX was FCP..... they always said FCX offered "some" of the same features as FCP .... Pro is for the PRO and Express is nothing more than the poor man's version of Pro. What you get is what you get for 1/2 the price, and for some people, it's enough.
Rick Tugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2003, 09:27 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Here's a link to a post in another forum that covers iMovie, FCE and FCP (note the dollar amounts are Canadian...)

Comparing iMovie, FCE and FCP
Old January 19th, 2004, 08:11 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Jeff,
is it possible to do split screen editing with DC Express, without additional plug ins?
thanks, Ed Kelly
Ed Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 04:26 AM   #24
Warden

What do you mean by split screen editing? That's not really a term Apple uses in describing their editors.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old January 21st, 2004, 07:35 AM   #25
Regular Crew

FCE Split Screen

Hi Jeff,
my idea of split screen is a picture within a picture, such as in a demonstration type video, where you are watching a long shot of say a person nailing a board on the side of a house, and in the corner would be a smaller box of the same person, but zoomed in on the hammer and nail.
the tutorial with fce sort of shows this by usind wireframe, but its not contunious, just appearing in maybe one clip.
thanks, Ed K
Ed Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2004, 09:00 AM   #26
Warden

Yes, FCE does picture-in-picture, but their are limits on setting key frames. Again, I don't use this software, so you might want to post a question to the mac forum about FCE and key frames etc.

Old August 12th, 2004, 09:12 PM   #27
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald : FCX is software limited to 8 tracks of audio (hardware may limit you to fewer). FCP has unlimited number of tracks. Both only allow for two channels of audio to be input and output. Additional audio hardware can be added to allow fro more I/O options. -->>>

8 tracks of audio? I believe my copy of FCX claims 99 tracks of video and 99 tracks of audio. Haven't tried to push it yet. I haven't needed more than six tracks or six video tracks so far.
Old August 12th, 2004, 09:52 PM   #28
Warden

Waldemar, parts of this discussion are over a year and a half old. FCX has been updated to version 2 and the audio capabilities improved since the post you quoted.

Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite