XL1 S and Travel at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 12th, 2003, 08:52 AM   #1
Tourist

XL1 S and Travel

We're getting an XL1 S at my office this week and we'll be travelling a great deal with it and I need some advice.

We're getting a PortaBrace carry one case and based on past experience, I'm comfortable with it for protecting the camera carrying it on planes and moving it in cars. But there are going to be some times when it would be easier to check the camera with my luggage and other equipment. Can anyone recommend a hard case that can withstand the rigors of baggage handlers?

Also, I've seen in other threads that the new x-ray security equipment should not damage the camera's electronics or DV tapes. Anyone with solid experience with that?

Thanks for any help.
Rob Thibault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2003, 11:19 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

You'll find several tips on the main Watchdog site at this page.

My personal favorite is the CasesPlus case. I bought mine at Zotz Digital (one of our site's sponsors). It's a top-drawer commercial shipping case.

My 1st runner-up would be a Pelican or a Storm case. See Cases4Less.com for a good selection and good prices.

Bon voyage!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2003, 11:33 AM   #3
Wrangler

That Cases Plus case does look nice, but at $360 it's quite a bit more expensive than PortaBrace's CTC-2 softshell. Also, the caption says "No need to take your camera apart" but from the pictures it looks like you do--what's the scoop? And what does the exterior look like? Do those "molded in colors" say "XL1 inside!"?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2003, 11:37 AM   #4
Tourist

Price

I'll have to make sure my accounting department doesn't see this post, but price, is at best a secondary concern. $300-400 for a hard case seems a realtively small price to pay to protect $4,000+ worth of equipment.
Rob Thibault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2003, 11:51 AM   #5
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Re: the CasesPlus case...
The interior is made of 2 deensities of foam. The central cavity is designed to allow you to drop-in the standard XL1/XL1s intact. You will have to remove an MA-200 if you have one, but a little X-Acto-customizing will easily allow the MA-100 to remain on the camera. There are small cavities for accessories. A bit more X-Acto work will enable you to also pack a second lens and even more accessories. The shell is relatively light-weight (much lighter than most transport cases) but molded to be strong as steel. It also features wheels and a rolling handle as well as a carrying handle.

This case, even at a top-dollar price, represents a 10% investment in shipping protection. Certainly not unreasonable.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2003, 02:11 PM   #6
Trustee

Rob, I also travel alot with the XL-1/ XL-1s. First, NEVER, NEVER check it as luggage. Second, no matter what kind of case you use, when on an airplane always take the viewfinder off. That is the most delicate part of the camcorder. It takes less that a minute to take it off and pack it inside the case. With security the way it is always have a charged battary so yo can turn it on for security. I fly out of Atlanta and believe me, they do check. I have never had a problem with the X-ray machines messing up a tape or the electrinics. If you feel strongly about it you can put the tape in a small zip lock and hand carry it through.In airports run the shoulder strap through the arm of a chair. Makes it a lot harder for snatch and run. In cars, put it on the back seat and run the strap through the head rest. Carry insurance. Carry the phone number of the Canon service department. When overseas I generally carry an international adapter for the charger but, I also carry a very cheap piece of electrical gear such as a hair dryer (my wifes, not for me). I use this to "test" the current. The first night I was in Nirobie I did this and fortunately for me I blew the hair dryier instead of the charger. In the field I always carry a medium size trash bag. Great for putting the camcorder into in case of rain or, dust while on the road. In addition to that I carry smaller zip lock bags. Also, in an old film canister I carry a tube of super glue, large rubber bands and plastic tie downs. With that you can fix a lot of problems. Good luck. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2003, 04:01 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I bought the Canon case, but when I check it s luggage, I put the box inside the cardboard box the case came in. The case actually came in a cardboard box that was inside another cardboard box; the outer box has no printing on it.

It has worked out great for me because it is very lightweight unlike most real road cases. Plus, it's just a cardboard box on the luggage belt with no clue what's inside.

Prior to using the hard case, I've travelled with a soft bag and carried it on the plane. That worked O.K., but I was constantly pulled out of line and searched.

"I'd do it for free but I don't!"
John Paulsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2003, 09:55 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Travel

Our XL-1 and XL-1s travel by commercial airline nearly every week. For many months we took the camera as carry-on in a Portabrace bag (as we had always done with our Betacams) but with the recently increased security checks it became a hassle...plus it was wearing us out. Since purchasing two Pelican cases, about $400 each, we check the cameras on every flight and have no problems whatsoever. Each case is just large enough to hold the camera, an additional lens, a tripod, a light or two, tapes batteries, and wireless mics. Plus, it has an expandable handle and wheels for easy movement and two points for attaching padlocks for added security. (We have learned to not put the padlocks on until the case has gone through all the screening.) It is amazing how liberating it is to not lug a camera into the cabin of an airliner and hope that there is an overhead bin available and large enough. The case rides easily in the trunk of a mid-size car and the lid is large enough that we frequently leave the case in the trunk and use that as a base of operations when locations are outdoors and change quickly.
Mike Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2003, 05:10 PM   #9
Major Player

I'm getting ready to travel and can't pass up the chance to shoot some stock footage of the Arizona Desert but am pretty leery of trooping my XL1S across country.

Right now I'm afraid 3-400 for a case is out of our budget range this month, does anyone have any other suggestions for lower end protection for taking a camera with you as Carry On?

I've got a Canon HC300 case but it's too big I think to take on and I'm not about (like others here) check it as luggage.

Does anyone have a suggestion about which Storm Case might work? They look good price-wise.

Thanks
Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2003, 05:29 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Kevin, be very careful about the size of the carry-on. Most airlines are now enforcing the two bag rule as well as their size. Would hate to get to the plane to find they say it's got to ride underneath. Double check with the airline first - if you have the time actually go to the airport with the case and ask to speak with a supervisor. If there's no problem then you're okay next step is to make certain that your battery is fully charged as you might have to domestrate to the TSA screeners on duty at the passenger checkpoint. Also remember that all checked baggage is now being x-rayed. Do not lock your bags until after they have been screened - also take the extra time to take them inside instead of curb-side, safer all the way around. One final thought is the safety of your film. Most CTX machines (those mini-VW's used for baggage screening) will eat film. Carry that with you through passenger screening. If all else fails do what we do - drive.....:>
Don Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2003, 05:33 PM   #11
Regular Crew

XL-1s and travel

Oops. My memory misfired on the price of the cases. I purchased 2 Pelican model 1650 cases from Cases By Masco (www.casesby masco.com) for a TOTAL of just under $400. The price per case with shipping and sales tax came to $197.30. These are serious, professional cases. When you consider the cost of repairing a camera and the cost of being out of business while repairs are done, $200 is cheap.
Mike Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2003, 05:38 PM   #12
Regular Crew

All my hard sided cases (cameras and rifles) are Pelican. Wouldn't have any other. I picked up a KATA for the XL-1s as an inbetween way to transport. So far looks like it was worth it. Bottom line is why be cheap on the case when it's just good insurance? The percentages just aren't there.
Old March 3rd, 2003, 06:22 PM   #13
Major Player

Mike:

Thanks for the correction and that price is good if I'm looking to check the camera and pack a lot of stuff in there. I'd rather carry it on but this is a good option should I have to check it.

DON:

Are you talking about the "Canon Kata Brand Case for XL1 / Sturdy XL1 Soft Case" which I see.... it looks like it's the right size. Have you flown with it much?

Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2003, 04:45 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Include me as another XL1 owner who plans on travelling. These kind of threads are most interesting.

Based on what others have been saying I've so far decided on this as my best option, use my Kata case, I think it's the CCC-1 (I forget), to transport my XL1 as onboard luggage. The rest of the kit can go in the hold in a Pelican case, things like lights, cables and so on. At a recent video show I saw their range and think the best option would be something like the 1610 the one with a trolley handle and wheels. The rep at the show suggested this reasoning that a fully loaded case would be heavy to just carry and the size below is without the trolley. So that's what I'm leaning towards now.

My next concern now is for the tripod. I use a Cartoni action Pro with the fitted, padded case. But I still wouldn't want to send this into the hold. I suppose a rigid tube to hold the tripod in its case would be the way to go. I used to use them at college but I can't find who makes them. Any ideas?

And to top it all I also want to take my Powerbook with me. I've a laptop case for that I can use to carry. I also plan on making small padded sleeves for the accessories, especially for my new 200Gig Firewire hard drive, to further protect everything.

Now all I need is a team of Sherpas to carry it all!

Any suggestions or tips would be most appreciated.
Simon Plissi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2003, 06:31 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Kevin - The KATA is the large size (3333 or somenumber like that). No I haven'e had it on an airplane yet. I wouldn't have any problems taking this with me as carry-on - don't think that it would be too large to fit in the over-head. I would remove the view finder and pack that in a more secure location (hard suitcase, pelican case etc) and let it go in the belly.

Simin - X Have you considered an extre large hard cases that some folks use for fishing equipment? I've seen some around that sound be large enough yet not too large as to cause undue damage to the tripod. Of course that will have to go in the belly of the beast.

For all that do air travel: Up to August 2002 I was a Sr. Special Agent for the Civil Aviation Security Division of the Federal Aviation Administration, now I work with the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) - you know the folks that are now in charge of screening all persons and luggage.

First tip: If you just have to have the camera on board with you - make sure you have at least one fresh battery to power up at the passenger screening checkpoint. If you decide to carry it on with you let the airline know in advance you have it and what size the bag is so that there's no problems/surprises when you attemp to board and are told that all the overheads are full and you'll have to check the bag.

Second tip: Take you film with you on the aircraft. This is independant of you decision to carry the camera on board or not. The x-rays currently in use at the checkpoints should not harm the film. You can always ask for a physical search without them being x-rayed.

Third tip: No curb-side check in. Go into the terminal and check in there. DO NOT LOCK YOU LUGGAGE. You luggage will be sent through a very large x-ray machine. Once on the other side you can give the keys, padlocks, etc to the screeners to lock the bags in front of you.

Fourth tip: DO NOT PUT FILM IN CHECKED LUGGAGE. The machines used to scan the checked bags are way more powerful that those used at the passenger checkpoint (they have to be in order to sample/scan dense objects). These machines will chew up you tape. There should be all kinds of warnings at or near these machines.

Final tought: If it were me - I'd find the largest hard sided case (Pelican etc) place everything in the case except the film and let it go as check baggage. That way my hands are free while in the terminal building and much less chance of someone likeling my bag more than I do. Theft is much more a problem inside the terminal building than in the belly of the aircraft.

Hope this helps.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog