XL1 S and Travel - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 5th, 2003, 04:35 PM   #16
Major Player

I'm going to go for the Kata Case for my XL1S. I can't bring myself to check it for a cross country flight.

I'm finding the Kata XL1 case for about $234.00 (US) --- anyone know any places I should specifically look?
Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2003, 04:57 PM   #17
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Don Libby : Kevin - Simin - X Have you considered an extre large hard cases that some folks use for fishing equipment? I've seen some around that sound be large enough yet not too large as to cause undue damage to the tripod. Of course that will have to go in the belly of the beast. -->>>

Don, interesting idea, I'll look into that.

I figure most of you who fly with their kit end up paying extra at check-in, what with the film gear and regular luggage. One should also take a change of clothes!
Simon Plissi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 02:33 AM   #18
Major Player

During the last five years I have been fortunate to travel all round the world the last four with an XL1 ,I never put it in the aircraft hold but take it as hand luggage. With the exception of tapes ,batteries ,extender every thing else including tripod and Pag light is pack in our normal cases.
For the camera I use a softish camera case . I break the camera down and wrap each part with bubble wrap.
To date I have had no problems even in the US

Regards
Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 06:06 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Just be careful packing tapes in your cheched luggage. The CTX machines used at US airports to x-ray checked luggage will harm film. There are signs at each screening location.

Someone posted earier a very good suggestion of putting your film in a plastic baggy and taking that with you as you undergo screening at the passenger checkpoint. So far, the machines in use there will not harm fim or computer drives.

Whenever flying, be safe and call the airline you are traveling and let them know what you have and get their suggestions for their airport.
Old March 6th, 2003, 07:02 AM   #20
Warden

Don, you seem to refer to video tape as film
Quote:
Just be careful packing tapes in your checked luggage. The CTX machines used at US airports to x-ray checked luggage will harm film. There are signs at each screening location.
Are you saying the video tape is possibly harmed by x-rays?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 08:20 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Jeff - I would not take the chance of sending DV tapes through the machines used to screen checked baggage. I just double checked with my partner who agree with this recommendation. You'll see notices posted at all these machines to remove film from you checked baggage prior to screening. I'd add tapes as well. These machines are way more powerful than those at the passenger checkpoint. These machines may disrput the tape itself to the point that it could be damaged (blank or not). My primary day job has beeb security related items for the past 31 years - I've always insutructed my people to plan/train for the worse case. I believe that shipping DV tapes (for that matter any type of film/tape) in checked baggage nowdays is like playing with fire - I simply just would not do it. Remember times have changed now - all checked baggage is screened using more powerful x-ray machines. These machines must be powerful enough to penetrate heavy packed bags normally associated with checked baggage.
Old March 7th, 2003, 09:32 PM   #22
Warden

Don, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to challenge you, but this is kind of startling. The general consensus is the X-rays do not damage video tape. Video tape is an entirely different process and is not sensitive to various wave lengths of light (non visible like X-ray). Do you have any information or personal experiences you can share on this topic?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old March 8th, 2003, 06:43 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Jeff, Up till last Aug I was the Sr Special Agent for the FAA's Civil Aviation Security Division in the Great Lakes Region (covers 7 states). Now I am the training coordinator at Midway Airport in Chicago for the TSA. Everyting I've heard from the manufactors of the CTX machines was that they could damage any type of photographic film/tape. Give a little while to do more research on the subject of DV and I'll post here shortly. Prior to us doing 100% baggage screening this was never a real problem - now it might be due to the type of machines being used. Again let me call some people who know some people.
Old March 8th, 2003, 11:10 AM   #24
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Bob Safay : ... I also carry a very cheap piece of electrical gear such as a hair dryer (my wifes, not for me). I use this to "test" the current. The first night I was in Nirobie I did this and fortunately for me I blew the hair dryier instead of the charger... -->>>

Great idea. Adding this to my list.

I also saw these in a mail order catalogue:
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...%2Eotection%2F

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...%2Eotection%2F

Looks like a good idea to use to remain protected after "testing" the current.
Simon Plissi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2003, 04:08 PM   #25
Regular Crew

<I'm finding the Kata XL1 case for about $234.00 (US) --- anyone know any places I should specifically look?>

Kevin,

If you mean the Kata CCC-1, I think that's a real good price. It's $249 at B&H Photo.

If you mean the Kata CCC-10, B&H has it for $189.
Old March 20th, 2003, 12:12 PM   #26
Major Player

Just bought the CCC-10.

Thanks to everyone who suggested bags and solutions.

I'm still a little nervous about having to deal with the rocket scientists at the security check at the Newark airport but thanks to you all I've got a good idea that it should all be okay.

Now that this is out of the way I can sit back and plan what stock footage of Arizona I'm going to shoot and how I can use it later.
Old March 21st, 2003, 06:27 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Kevin - You'd be suprised at the education level of some if not most of the screeners that are currently employed by the TSA. I know I have been. BTW there is at least one retired rocket scientist at work at an airport in MI. Just goes to show you never know .....
Old March 21st, 2003, 06:46 AM   #28
Warden

I agree with Don. I know several people who have left mid level management jobs for positions with the TSA.

Old March 24th, 2003, 12:46 PM   #29
Major Player

I got my KATA CCC-10 today and -- Wow.

This is a fantastic bag. I can't believe how well my XL1S fits in it and how sturdy it is.

I moved around the dividers inside to give a little distance from the camera in the front and back and have room for a pile of batteries,filters, tapes, my portabrace weather cover for the camera and more. And that's only on the inside.

Outside there is a nice pocket at each end and one on the side.

The material and workmanship is EXCELLENT.

I would recommend this bag to ANYONE.

This reduces my stress about traveling with my XL1S by about 200%.

Rating it for Bang for the Buck, I would give it a 10 out of 10. (I'll see if I feel the same when I return in a week.)
Old March 31st, 2003, 01:30 PM   #30
Major Player

Hey from Arizona,

just to give you an update on the flight from Newark to Pheonix:

I was all ready with a charged battery to fire up the XL1S to show them but they ran my CCC-10 through the regular xray machine and didn't even open ask me open the bag. (shrug)

We'll see how they do going the other way.

The major problem here in AZ is that it's incredibly windy and all I brought was a Monopod and I'm having to do stuff like sit up against the car and do static shots or I'm getting bounced all over the place.

VERY ANNOYING.

But getting some good stock footage.
Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog