Sennheiser ew122p or ew112p? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old July 14th, 2002, 11:37 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sennheiser ew122p or ew112p?

It looks like the Senheiser 100 series is about as good as your going to get for the money. Since I'm just starting out I was wondering which would be best, the ew112-p with the omni microphone or the ew122p with the cardioid. Also, which frequency block (A, B, C, D) should I choose?
Old July 15th, 2002, 09:33 AM   #2
Wrangler

Depends on how you use the mic.

I have the omni mic and it has worked very well for me. The omni mic is much more likely to pick sound from speakers near the miked talent. This is useful say in weddings where you might hide the on the groom's dark tux to pick up both the groom's and bride's vows.

As far as which block you should select, that a case of where you plan to shoot. Not all blocks are legal worldwide. You may also want to use a block that is not used by lots of other users. There may also be some interference issues in your area on some of these blocks.

I think I am use block C which runs around 740MHz (I do not have the unit with me right now so I am not sure). I have had almost no problems with it.

Nathan Gifford
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2003, 04:04 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I have the exact same questions. For following someone around or doing interviews which is the best for the application? Omni-Directional or Cardioid? It would seem that if you wanted to capture some ambient sound as well, the omni would be better.

Also, how am I supposed to figure out which of the 3 blocks are going to be best for my area? I'm in the Chicago area so I would imagine that all 3 are heavily used.

Can someone shed additional light or expand further on this topic?

Thanks

Carl
Carl Slawinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2003, 04:12 PM   #4
Wrangler

Usually the mfgr's tech support people can tell you which frequencies should be best for a given area/region..
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2003, 01:08 PM   #5
Wrangler

Check with the manufacturer what't the best block for your region.

Omni are nice when you have to pick up the sound from mre than one person. For example, if you are shooting a wedding either the bride or groom will wear the mic. If positioned correctly you probably will pickup the voice of the bride and possibly even the priest.

If you want to exclude most of those sounds then use a cardioid. The important thing here in this configuation is to make sure you place the mic correctly.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog