Quick Tip - Use labels! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old May 14th, 2008, 09:34 AM   #1
Major Player

Quick Tip - Use labels!

Hi, anyone using Labels to speed up your workflow? They are nearly unknown (I haven't seen this in Adobe Premiere Bible, nor any tutorial video I've ever seen), but they can be very effective.

For example: When editing an interview shot from two angles, you might make clips from left angle blue and clips from right angle Red. This way you can have better grasp of your pacing in timeline, but you can also color correct your clips faster. You can also define labels for closeups and MCUs and apply single CC preset to all respective shot sizes at once.

Adobe hides this pretty well, but once you have your clips Labelled, you can automatically select all clips with the same label (=color) on timeline, and apply effect (or multiple effects) to every one of them. You just have to apply the clip(s) to any clip and then Edit - Copy it (them).

Then just go to Edit - Label - Select Label Group (you can make a keyboard shortcut) and Edit - Paste. Your effect is applied to every selected clip on current timeline. This can be a HUGE timesaver.

You can also set your own colors for labels, since the defaults are bit bland and similar. Now Adobe should enable Prmeiere to automatically import Bridge's labels and make label colors visible in Thumbnail mode and it would be perfect.
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 06:11 AM   #2
Major Player

So this works for clips that are already in your timeline? Ok, that's good to know.

But let's say that I have a bunch of different clips in my time line. I've broken them up and stacked the different kinds of clips together in different areas of the time line. (I didn't know about labeling them, I'll look into that now.)

But now that I have all of my clips organized on the timeline, is there a way to take all of these trimmed clips and drop them back into my available media window?

When I import HD footage it all comes in as one big clip and I need to trim and cut out all of the important pieces. I want a way to organize these pieces. Does this make sense?
Will Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 10:11 AM   #3
Major Player

I know what you mean. I don't think that is possible. But you will be better off this way:

Just doubleclick your long clip in the Bin. This opens it in the Source monitor. Now just mark In and Out points where you want your new clip to begin/end and drag it back from Source window to Bin.

This creates a new Subclip. You can rename/label/whatever these as you want. Afterwards, you work with these subclip in the same way you do with any other clips.

Repeat this action (In-out-drag into Bin) for every piece of the long clip you want to work with afterwards.
Old May 15th, 2008, 01:27 PM   #4
Major Player

Are you kidding me?!?!?

I've been double-clicking the original, long HD file and watching it in the Preview pane. Then I have been setting in-and-out points and dragging the subclips into the timeline and organizing them down there. I had no idea I could drag the subclip from the source window into the bin.

Now I've got a timeline clogged up with (I'm guessing) close to 100 subclips that I'm trying to shuffle and organize so that I can actually work on my project in the timeline too.

So I've got my project (with my song, the audio track) way on the left of the timeline and a ton of clips (organized in bunches) elsewhere on the timeline.

And I just finished color-correcting them all!

See attachment of my messed up, clogged timeline.
Attached Thumbnails
Quick Tip - Use labels!-my-f-d-timeline.jpg  
Old May 15th, 2008, 01:29 PM   #5
Major Player

It didn't work for me.

Ok, I just tried setting in-and-out points in the Preview pane and dragging the subclip into my bin. This didn't work. It gave me the circle with a line through it emblem (no dice.)

So that process doesn't work either. Maybe it's because I'm using Premier Elements. Can you do this in Premier Pro?

I was really psyched about this but it seems that it won't work for me.
Old May 16th, 2008, 09:00 PM   #6
Major Player

Yeah, Elements are different beasts. Subclips are advanced feature, Premiere Elements is a good, but consumer, basic software.
Old May 17th, 2008, 09:02 PM   #7
Major Player

Hey Jiri, are you finding that the subclips are slowing down at playback?

I've also tried this method, but found it helpful only in certain circumstances.
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 10:18 PM   #8
Major Player

Hi Peter, I don't use subclips that much, but they don't slow down work as much as nested sequences do.
Old May 19th, 2008, 09:38 AM   #9
Major Player

Looks like I need to get the higher-ups to pony up for some new software. Perhaps Premier Pro!
Old May 20th, 2008, 01:14 AM   #10
Regular Crew

This tip is great. Once I saw someone using them and it seem to be useful. Now I'm using them also. It help identifying the clips faster.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite