Adobe Media Encoder exports empty files at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old August 14th, 2009, 10:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Adobe Media Encoder exports empty files

Media Encoder randomly exports empty video files (0 KB in size). Some of these renders take over two and a half hours and this problem is waisting a lot of my time. Any ideas?
Mitch Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 11:04 PM   #2
Trustee

Did you turn on 'Artificial Intelligence' in Preferences?
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2009, 09:48 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I can't seem to find that option. So that must not be the problem.

P.S. I'm using CS4
Old August 15th, 2009, 10:10 AM   #4
Major Player

start adobe media encoder separate and try to export and it would work. Or just import premier sequence to media encoder.
Kiflom Bahta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2009, 01:49 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Hunt View Post
I can't seem to find that option. So that must not be the problem.

P.S. I'm using CS4
Mitch,

I was kidding, because 'randomly exporting blank files' is so unlikely, that it defies human intelligence. Hence my remark about artificial intelligence. You must be giving some command to export through AME to a certain format to a certain file. It can't be random or of its own accord, at least not to my knowledge.

My intent was to trick you into giving more relevant details about what you did that resulted in this strange behavior. Sorry for this completely failed effort. But if you can tell us more about your workflow, maybe we can offer some suggestions.
Old August 15th, 2009, 02:37 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Ha ha, now I get it. I often take people's jokes too literally :).

Approximately every one in four exports AME will create an empty video file. It is very strange. It encodes like normal but it's almost like it "forgets" to attach the video to the file afterwards. I'm encoding HDV footage from a Premiere Pro project.
Old August 15th, 2009, 03:32 PM   #7
Trustee

Mitch,

Have you updated to 4.1? With 4.00 and 4.01 I think I have had very occasionally a similar behavior, but not with 4.1. With the previous versions I may have encountered something similar, but always attributed that to my own mistakes, never to a 'bug' in the program, for the simple reason I could not replicate it in a systematic way. Can you?

Going from HDV and exporting, what settings do you use? To BR, FLV, MPEG2-DVD, etc.? Can you post a screenshot of your export settings?
Old August 15th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Yes, I have updated to version 4.1. I have been exporting to MPEG-2, 1440x1080, progressive, 30 Mbps, maximum render quality turned off. Which leads off to another question, what is the optimum lossless data rate for HDV footage? I think Mini DV tapes have a data rate 25 Mbps, so 30 would be more than enough right?
Mitch Hunt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite