How to make Premiere CS5 work with GTX 295 and possibly all 200 GPUs - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old May 27th, 2010, 03:34 PM   #106
Tourist

How do I do this on a Mac?

Anybody know how to do this hack on a Mac? Thanks.
Jeremy Saville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 03:41 PM   #107
Trustee

yes, but it won't do you any good because the 3 mac cards that will work for CUDA - 285, 3800 4800 5800 are already on the list. is there another nV card that works in a mac NOT on that list ?
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 06:52 PM   #108
Regular Crew

In case anyone missed the Ppro 5.0.1 update post - apparently this increases the number of tracks you can use with the MPE above the prior cap of 3. This is FANTASTIC news and now gives you the option of choosing a far more affordable GPU to get the same work flow as a Quadro.

Did I mention before that I have a LOT of love for Adobe right now?
Paul Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 12:59 PM   #109
Regular Crew

Just finish bulding my CS-5 Workstation

Dual Opteron 2300 CPUs, 2.6 GHz, 12 cores total, 3 TB drive space (2 x 1.5 TB), 8 GB RAM (128 GB max) and a PNY GTX 470. Using a SuperMicro mobo with SATA and SAS RAID capabilities.

Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread for making this easier. (Particularly the advice on how to overwrite the CUDA supported carts text file.) I'm adding the Neo4k Cineform codecs and will report how (hopefully) well everything is working.

Thanks again.
Old May 28th, 2010, 03:43 PM   #110
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cook View Post
In case anyone missed the Ppro 5.0.1 update post - apparently this increases the number of tracks you can use with the MPE above the prior cap of 3. This is FANTASTIC news and now gives you the option of choosing a far more affordable GPU to get the same work flow as a Quadro.

Did I mention before that I have a LOT of love for Adobe right now?
Adobe has become a GREAT company, that is listening to its customers, giving speedy updates when needed, for an already fabulously stable release with utter commitment to make this the best release ever.

I have seldom seen such dedication, commitment and communication during the beta and pre-release stages, and continuing for the next point release.

ADOBE has done great and my heartfelt congratulations go out to all team members who have done a tremendous job under heavy duress. The time pressure was great, but they managed it and delivered.

THANK YOU ADOBE.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 05:30 PM   #111
Regular Crew

Hi guys,

I have a I7 940 and a ATI 4890 Card. After I updated to CS5 I have good playback with my HDSLR files but when I enable a second monitor (a plasma TV) for full screen preview everything gets choppy. It's normal I guess.

My question is:

With an Nvidia Card (CUDA enabled) will my second monitor playback (full screen) improve?

Thanks!
Sergio Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 07:48 PM   #112
Tourist

Geforce GT 320M 1 gig laptop card now supported

i have a hp dv7t laptop with the above listed card. there is now an official nvidia beta driver for it that support cuda 3.0. you must do a nvidia beta driver search to find it. it raised my cpu, and gpu temps 4 or 5 degrees, but in hp suggested power mode temps are still fine. now the gpusniffer approves the card, but you must type a capital M as in 320M when you edit the card txt file. i am up from 3 layers of xdcam ex w/PIP to 5 layers of video w/PIP effects running in real time with yellow bar. i honestly would not need more than that for a laptop project. thanks for posting the hack. i think its brilliant!
Stephen Weller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 11:06 PM   #113
Tourist

Just trying things out:
Upgraded to PP 5.0.1
Upgraded nVidia driver to beta 257.15 for the GTX470

I placed on the same timeline as 3 PIP clips (UL, UR, LR):
- 5DII 1080p30
- 550D 720p50
- HMC150 720p50

Playback on the Mercury hovers around 95% cpu usage, some choppy moments here and there but indicator stays yellow. Software playback is at 100% red timeline immediately.

I brought the GPU/Memory clock all the way down to 405MHz/418MHz (from 607/1674MHz). Playback was not affected not even 1% in terms of CPU usage.

Something tells me, it's either a driver issue, or the MPE is not optimized for the GTX470 yet.
Ezzat El Halabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 11:28 PM   #114
Trustee

you should still be using the 197.x driver. all I can say is, just take my word on it ! the newer drivers are not blessed for use with CS5 yet

also CUDA / MPE aren't doing anything to decode h264 right now. that is still all on the CPU. less intensive codecs like DVCproHD which is natively supported should yeild more streams... but ya I know who is using DVCproHD anymore !
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2010, 03:33 AM   #115
Trustee

Completely agree Steve.

To see that the 257.15 driver is buggy, add a Gaussian Blur to a clip and set blurriness to something larger than 5, for instance 15. This behavior can be replicated on different hardware and with different Fermi cards and with different effects.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2010, 05:12 AM   #116
New Boot

As I was used with CS4 to convert the native H264 files of the 7D/550D to an intermediate codec like Photo-Jpeg I just gave that a go in pp 5.01. And, sadly, it seems that the MPE doensīt work as well as with the native H264/RED files. Just after I added a second layer with an mpe-accelaterated effect the playback became quite stuttery. So, is it possible that the MPE doesnīt work together with intermediates such as Photo-Jpeg, Cineform HD...? Any thoughts on this?
Uwe Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2010, 07:33 PM   #117
Tourist

HP DV7t quad Geforce GT 320M 1 Gig update

i posted about a beta driver that supported cs5. i noticed a 4 to 5 degree cpu, and gpu temp increase and after a day decided 3 layers with effects running cool with the old hp driver was preferable to me. i rolled back my driver, but it did not install the latest hp release. so i clicked on update driver in device manager, and it found a driver that is not on the hp site, nor the nvidia beta i was using. temps are normal, and cs5 is supported. this is the driver number: 8.17.12.5715 nvidia driver dated 5/21/2010. i used the top option in the driver search box, not the one that said find a driver on this computer. it seems to work great. i don't know why its not listed on the hp or nvidia site. maybe this will help all the dv7t quad owners that need cuda support.
Stephen Weller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 10:51 AM   #118
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Hansen View Post
As I was used with CS4 to convert the native H264 files of the 7D/550D to an intermediate codec like Photo-Jpeg I just gave that a go in pp 5.01. And, sadly, it seems that the MPE doensīt work as well as with the native H264/RED files. Just after I added a second layer with an mpe-accelaterated effect the playback became quite stuttery. So, is it possible that the MPE doesnīt work together with intermediates such as Photo-Jpeg, Cineform HD...? Any thoughts on this?
I use MPE with 5D files converted with Cineform - runs smoothly with several layers.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 01:30 PM   #119
New Boot

Thanks Charles - which graphic card do you have? I didnīt try it out with cineform, only with photo-jpeg. Could you do me a favor (or somebody else) and give it a go with that codec? With H264 it works smoothly in rt too, up to 4 layers with accelarated effects. But it doesnt do it with photo-jpeg... weird..

My system:
Quad 2.4
GTX275 with hack
8gigs ram
vista64
Uwe Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 03:39 PM   #120
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Hansen View Post
Thanks Charles - which graphic card do you have? I didnīt try it out with cineform, only with photo-jpeg. Could you do me a favor (or somebody else) and give it a go with that codec? With H264 it works smoothly in rt too, up to 4 layers with accelarated effects. But it doesnt do it with photo-jpeg... weird..

My system:
Quad 2.4
GTX275 with hack
8gigs ram
vista64
Uwe, I have a GTX 260. The system is a Q6600 (quad 2.4), 8 GB, Win 7. It is basically like your system. I don't run photo-jpeg so I can't test that, but I think you already have the answer.

--Edit. The photo-jpeg files will be much bigger than H.264 files so the disk read requirement is quite a bit higher, and goes up proportionally with layers. You might check your disk read speed.

Last edited by Charles W. Hull; May 30th, 2010 at 03:46 PM. Reason: add comment
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite