How to make Premiere CS5 work with GTX 295 and possibly all 200 GPUs - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old May 3rd, 2010, 07:22 AM   #31
Trustee

yeah unless im doing something wrong my performance isnt much of a "game changer" with and without CUDA if I simply take 2 streams of AVCHD and setup a PIP Premiere simply stops.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:01 AM   #32
Major Player

Randy:

That the new CS5 works very well for some, doesn't work well for some, and is utterly unstable for others seems unfortunately typical. It is working very well for me. Maybe, I'm one of the lucky ones? I've applied the patch with a PNY nVidia GTX260 (896 mb), imported a project that was choking CS4 (multi-cam project with four HDV streams and one AVCHD) and got something very much like editing standard def DV. Better yet, rendering subjectively seems to be about twice as fast with CS5 with two color correction/matching video effects that used to really slow things down in CS 4.

David Cherniak:

What did you do to get the MXO2 mini to run with CS5? I tried uninstalling it before installing CS5 and then reinstalling it afterwards. It still works with CS4 but doesn't seem to show up in any presets under my CS5.
Jay West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 12:06 PM   #33
Major Player

Randy,

What is your hard drive setup that your AVCHD files reside on? That might be an important factor. Are you using a single drive or a RAID array?
Craig Coston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 12:56 PM   #34
Trustee

I am using a single drive, I can try a RAID. You know I havent really had a chance to really put it through its paces yet but so far it doesnt seem that fast. Id hate to buy a $500-$1000 video card and have it still be clunky. I noticed when I scrub sometimes it freezes when I hit play and I have to hit play twice to get it to play. Is that normal?
Old May 3rd, 2010, 12:59 PM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
I am using a single drive, I can try a RAID. You know I havent really had a chance to really put it through its paces yet but so far it doesnt seem that fast. Id hate to buy a $500-$1000 video card and have it still be clunky. I noticed when I scrub sometimes it freezes when I hit play and I have to hit play twice to get it to play. Is that normal?
Ah you really need a 3 disk setup,

I have:

OS 74GB 10,000rpm
MEDIA 2*400GB 7,200rpm RAID 0
SCRATCH 750GB 7,200
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 02:45 PM   #36
Trustee

oh I got 10 drives but I dont have any of them setup as a RAID.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:31 PM   #37
Regular Crew

People you need a raid system to work with AVCHD and a fast CPU!!!

Hello fine people

You need a raid system with 3 or 4 hard drives in a raid 5 or 0 to be fast enough for high compressed video and a fast cpu. This has nothing to do with MPE!!!.

I have a dedicated raid card (adaptec 3085) with it's own Intel CPU on it, this with 4 x 1TB disk in a raid 5. This with 12GB of DDR3 Corasair in speed of 1600. Then an i7 920 and it's flying.

Regards
Mikael
Mikael Bergstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:51 PM   #38
Trustee

good to know, thats not a big upgrade for me. I just dont like putting all my eggs in one basket with a RAID.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 04:02 PM   #39
Major Player

I wouldn't use RAID 5 for my editing PC, I'd use RAID 5 for storing final videos. AC&NC | RAID.edu - RAID Levels - RAID Level 5 - RAID 5

Best option

SSD OS Disk
RAID 0 for MEDIA ( AC&NC | RAID.edu - RAID Levels - RAID Level 0 - RAID 0 )
Scratch Disk could be anything really min 7200rpm though.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 04:04 PM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
good to know, thats not a big upgrade for me. I just dont like putting all my eggs in one basket with a RAID.
Of course if you mean RAID 0 then yes but as long as you take backups you'd be fine. I use Windows Home Server has has a RAID 5 setup that can restore my PC via USB pen and network. - Works as well!
Old May 3rd, 2010, 04:23 PM   #41
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Guitar View Post
I figured out how to activate CUDA acceleration without a GTX 285 or Quadro... I'm pretty sure it should work with other 200 GPUs. Note that i'm using 2 monitors and there's a extra tweak to play with CUDA seamlessly with 2 monitors.

Here are the steps:

Step 1. Go to the Premiere CS5 installation folder.
Step 2. Find the file "GPUSniffer.exe" and run it in a command prompt (cmd.exe). You should see something like that:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Device: 00000000001D4208 has video RAM(MB): 896
Device: 00000000001D4208 has video RAM(MB): 896
Vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer string: GeForce GTX 295/PCI/SSE2
Version string: 3.0.0

OpenGL version as determined by Extensionator...
OpenGL Version 2.0
Supports shaders!
Supports BGRA -> BGRA Shader
Supports VUYA Shader -> BGRA
Supports UYVY/YUYV ->BGRA Shader
Supports YUV 4:2:0 -> BGRA Shader
Testing for CUDA support...
Found 2 devices supporting CUDA.
CUDA Device # 0 properties -
CUDA device details:
Name: GeForce GTX 295 Compute capability: 1.3
Total Video Memory: 877MB
CUDA Device # 1 properties -
CUDA device details:
Name: GeForce GTX 295 Compute capability: 1.3
Total Video Memory: 877MB
CUDA Device # 0 not choosen because it did not match the named list of cards
Completed shader test!
Internal return value: 7
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you look at the last line it says the CUDA device is not chosen because it's not in the named list of card. That's fine. Let's add it.

Step 3. Find the file: "cuda_supported_cards.txt" and edit it and add your card (take the name from the line: CUDA device details: Name: GeForce GTX 295 Compute capability: 1.3

So in my case the name to add is: GeForce GTX 295

Step 4. Save that file and we're almost ready.

Step 5. Go to your Nvidia Driver control panel (im using the latest 197.45) under "Manage 3D Settings", Click "Add" and browse to your Premiere CS5 install directory and select the executable file: "Adobe Premiere Pro.exe"

Step 6. In the field "multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration" switch from "multiple display performance mode" to "compatibilty performance mode"

Step 7. That's it. Boot Premiere and go to your project setting / general and activate CUDA

Hope this helps ;)
Do you know how to run a command prompt in windows 7? The box opens and then quickly closes.
Marc Brackhahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 04:44 PM   #42
Regular Crew

David what "I wouldn't use RAID 5 for my editing PC"????

You also get a very good safety if something goes wrong (has occurred several times for me where I could easily just replace the failed disk without losing material)

I and my Colleague have used this raid 5 in 3 years now and it's fast enugh with no problem what so ever!!

This is our last film we made with one such raid system with over 4 hours of material in the bin and timeline.

(in Swedish thought)

Mikael Bergstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 04:45 PM   #43
Major Player

Quote:
Click Windows key and R
type "cmd" without the ""

and then at the prompt type
c:
cd "c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS5"
GPUSniffer.exe
Old May 3rd, 2010, 09:03 PM   #44
Trustee

Wow I converted my footage to DVCpro HD using a free tool from Panasonic. I know it uses lik 4X the space but Wow! thats some performance! VERY smooth.
Old May 4th, 2010, 05:05 AM   #45
Regular Crew

Using the GPU hack with a GTX 260 works fine in most conditions, but I have a problem when I import HDV material (m2t 1440*1080i) to a Blackmagic 1080i59 8-bit YUV project. The video is downscaled by a factor of 1.33. If I switch to non_GPU mode, the scaling is correct. 1920*1080 footage is OK in GPU and software mode. I don't know if this effect is related to this hack, a decklink driver problem or a general bug.
Heinz Bihlmeir is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite