Multi clip trimming? at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old January 10th, 2012, 09:41 AM   #1
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 576
Multi clip trimming?

Is there a way to trim more than one clip at once? I have some timelapse clips from a DSLR I want to reduce the duration but there are so many of them so I would like to trim them all together in tandem, how can I do that in CS5?
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 11:33 AM   #2
Trustee
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Miami, FL USA
Posts: 1,483
Re: Multi clip trimming?

You could put each clip on its own video track, select them (mouse a box around them all) and right-click, select group. You can manipulate the in and out points as a group. You have to blade each track individually, if you need to trim, but that is only a few mouseclicks. Having aligned, say, all the end points, you can then manipulate them as a whole. You could nest the tracks but you can't un-nest them, so this probably would not be applicable in your case.
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 11:38 AM   #3
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Preston England
Posts: 147
Re: Multi clip trimming?

Stack all the clips on top on one another with the beginnings or ends level. Draw box round them with left mouse(select) and then put selection arrow at beginning or end this will change to edit tool symbol, hold left mouse down and shorten them. Does that make sense. I know what I mean...

Peter

Battle, you beat me to it.
Peter D. Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 02:23 AM   #4
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 27
Re: Multi clip trimming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalan Salur View Post
Is there a way to trim more than one clip at once? I have some timelapse clips from a DSLR I want to reduce the duration but there are so many of them so I would like to trim them all together in tandem, how can I do that in CS5?
I might be missing something, but couldn't you stack them then use the razor blade, hold down shift and cut all the clips at once?
Chris Hsiung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 01:46 PM   #5
Trustee
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Miami, FL USA
Posts: 1,483
Re: Multi clip trimming?

Chris is right, I completely forgot about the shift-blade function, thanks Chris!
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 09:08 PM   #6
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Split, Croatia
Posts: 189
Re: Multi clip trimming?

There's even a better way, you can use (customizable) keyboard shortcuts for cutting all or selected tracks at the timeline cursor.
Zoran Vincic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 10:37 PM   #7
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 85
Re: Multi clip trimming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoran Vincic View Post
There's even a better way, you can use (customizable) keyboard shortcuts for cutting all or selected tracks at the timeline cursor.
Ctrl+k will cut all selected tracks at the timeline marker.
Yossi Margolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 08:42 PM   #8
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Split, Croatia
Posts: 189
Re: Multi clip trimming?

Yeah, I don't even remember the default shortcut as I change it to a single stroke key.

Default shortcuts in premiere are way too slow for me to work with in a fast paced workflow.

My left hand rarely leave the left side of the keyboard as I assign zoom in and out to "Q" and "W", delete to tilde key, razor all at cursor to "<>" key and so on...

And my right hand is either on the mouse or on the right side of the keyboard, JKL, cursor keys for frame precision editing or pgup pgdn for jumping to the cuts...



but that's really a story for another topic...
Zoran Vincic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 10:12 PM   #9
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 576
Re: Multi clip trimming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hsiung View Post
I might be missing something, but couldn't you stack them then use the razor blade, hold down shift and cut all the clips at once?
I tried that Chris but after using razor all the clips beneath the last clip dissappeared or merged into the last clip. ;)
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 05:32 PM   #10
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 27
Re: Multi clip trimming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoran Vincic View Post
Yeah, I don't even remember the default shortcut as I change it to a single stroke key.

Default shortcuts in premiere are way too slow for me to work with in a fast paced workflow.

My left hand rarely leave the left side of the keyboard as I assign zoom in and out to "Q" and "W", delete to tilde key, razor all at cursor to "<>" key and so on...

And my right hand is either on the mouse or on the right side of the keyboard, JKL, cursor keys for frame precision editing or pgup pgdn for jumping to the cuts...



but that's really a story for another topic...

Now that'd be a story I'd follow. Great hotkey suggestion ideas! Maybe you'll start a thread for that, or is there an existing one? :-)
Chris Hsiung is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:09 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network