Multi clip trimming? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Adobe Creative Suite
All about the world of Adobe Premiere and its associated plug-ins.

Old January 10th, 2012, 09:41 AM   #1

Multi clip trimming?

Is there a way to trim more than one clip at once? I have some timelapse clips from a DSLR I want to reduce the duration but there are so many of them so I would like to trim them all together in tandem, how can I do that in CS5?
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 11:33 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Multi clip trimming?

You could put each clip on its own video track, select them (mouse a box around them all) and right-click, select group. You can manipulate the in and out points as a group. You have to blade each track individually, if you need to trim, but that is only a few mouseclicks. Having aligned, say, all the end points, you can then manipulate them as a whole. You could nest the tracks but you can't un-nest them, so this probably would not be applicable in your case.
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2012, 11:38 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Stack all the clips on top on one another with the beginnings or ends level. Draw box round them with left mouse(select) and then put selection arrow at beginning or end this will change to edit tool symbol, hold left mouse down and shorten them. Does that make sense. I know what I mean...

Peter

Battle, you beat me to it.
Peter D. Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 02:23 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalan Salur View Post
Is there a way to trim more than one clip at once? I have some timelapse clips from a DSLR I want to reduce the duration but there are so many of them so I would like to trim them all together in tandem, how can I do that in CS5?
I might be missing something, but couldn't you stack them then use the razor blade, hold down shift and cut all the clips at once?
Chris Hsiung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 01:46 PM   #5
Trustee

Chris is right, I completely forgot about the shift-blade function, thanks Chris!
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 09:08 PM   #6
Regular Crew

There's even a better way, you can use (customizable) keyboard shortcuts for cutting all or selected tracks at the timeline cursor.
Zoran Vincic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2012, 10:37 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoran Vincic View Post
There's even a better way, you can use (customizable) keyboard shortcuts for cutting all or selected tracks at the timeline cursor.
Ctrl+k will cut all selected tracks at the timeline marker.
Yossi Margolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 08:42 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Yeah, I don't even remember the default shortcut as I change it to a single stroke key.

Default shortcuts in premiere are way too slow for me to work with in a fast paced workflow.

My left hand rarely leave the left side of the keyboard as I assign zoom in and out to "Q" and "W", delete to tilde key, razor all at cursor to "<>" key and so on...

And my right hand is either on the mouse or on the right side of the keyboard, JKL, cursor keys for frame precision editing or pgup pgdn for jumping to the cuts...

but that's really a story for another topic...
Zoran Vincic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 10:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hsiung View Post
I might be missing something, but couldn't you stack them then use the razor blade, hold down shift and cut all the clips at once?
I tried that Chris but after using razor all the clips beneath the last clip dissappeared or merged into the last clip. ;)
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 05:32 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoran Vincic View Post
Yeah, I don't even remember the default shortcut as I change it to a single stroke key.

Default shortcuts in premiere are way too slow for me to work with in a fast paced workflow.

My left hand rarely leave the left side of the keyboard as I assign zoom in and out to "Q" and "W", delete to tilde key, razor all at cursor to "<>" key and so on...

And my right hand is either on the mouse or on the right side of the keyboard, JKL, cursor keys for frame precision editing or pgup pgdn for jumping to the cuts...

but that's really a story for another topic...

Now that'd be a story I'd follow. Great hotkey suggestion ideas! Maybe you'll start a thread for that, or is there an existing one? :-)
Chris Hsiung is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Adobe Creative Suite