Is this reasonable price for a Sennheiser ME66? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 24th, 2004, 03:03 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Stupid after-the-fact questions.

I have a Sony PD150 and just received my ME66 capsule and K6 power module. I thought this was all I needed, but apparently I'm wrong. First, it doesn't come with a foam screen. Second, I need a short XLR cable to connect the mic to the camera. Third, do I need anything additional to mount the thing, for example a shockmount? Keep in mind all I have is what came standard with my PD150.

For windscreen, I think I need either the MZW 66 or MZW 66 PRO. For XLR cable, I'll take Bob Severs advice and order a 12" right-angle type XLR cable.

I need help on the camera mounting. Do I need anything additional to mount this on a PD150? Any other comments/advice is welcome.
Edward Seid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2004, 12:36 PM   #17
Trustee

There are a few good ones, the AT 8415 is only $50 and multi purpose. You'll need an adapter to mount it to the hot shoe.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=68143&is=REG

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=68160&is=REG
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2004, 12:27 AM   #18
Major Player

Edward, you may also want to take a quick peek at Bill Ball's post. He's on the right trail for a total working package to support that mic.

The stock foam windscreen for the me66 will be limited mostly to indoor use and very still conditions outdoors... anything more then a light breeze will rumble that mic even with the stock foam.

The Rycote Softie is a pretty good solution for it at a fairly reasonable cost (believe it or not THIS is "reasonable")... click HERE to view. You'll need something along these lines if you want to be safe in typical outdoor shooting situations... and more then likely you'll just leave it on ALL the time. I did.

I have both a Rycote mount which you can see HERE as part of a complete kit and I also have a K-Tek mount which you can see HERE that I use on smaller mics... but it may work on the me66 for camera mounting.

A guaranteed alternative would be to use the larger K-Tek or the PSC mount that you will see ON THIS PAGE and you'll also notice that the PSC is pretty cheap for what you get! Which is good news 'cause I'll bet your head is spinning since you didn't know you'd need all this other stuff!

Sorry to be one of the bringers of bad news... but you were bound to find out on your own pretty quickly. BTW you also need the little adapter Beas posted a link for... THIS THING HERE.

And HEY! Anytime you want to see the ACTUAL price of an item from B&H just click "ADD TO CART" and you'll see the discounted price immediately... after that you can just "EMPTY CART"...

Why do you want to wait for an email that says the same thing?
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2004, 11:52 AM   #19
Major Player

>Edward, you may also want to take a quick peek at Bill Ball's post. He's on the right trail for a total working package to support that mic.

Just got the k6/me66 with the Rycote softie windscreen and mount and Shure adpater for my Gl2. I plugged into the camera and opened my front door to check out the wind issue, audio levels on manual at about 50%. Was expecting to pick up some ambient noise but was shocked to hear (loudly) the buzzing of a bee hidden in the flowering tree branch a good 8 feet from the door. Wow. I have only spent 15 minutes or so with it so far, but gentle breezes and boom handling noises are no problem. I spent most of my time listening to the (normally) inaudible sounds of cold air coming out of my ice dispenser, the ballast hum in the flourescent lighting, the fabric friction of my pants legs, etc. I guess I'll be setting the mic levels much lower to record dialog :). I look forward to using this thing for real, altough it broke the bank so it will be mounted on a painter's pole for now.
Bill Ball is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio