Is this reasonable price for a Sennheiser ME66? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 23rd, 2002, 02:46 PM   #1
Trustee

Is this reasonable price for a Sennheiser ME66?

I was doing some enquiries into the ME66 as it's been suggested as a good mic for entry level and the only place I've found so far in my city that stocks it was selling it for $1600.

This is about US$700 and was the mic, and a phantom power adapter that he said I needed I don't think it included a capsule for the mic but could have.

Is this a reasonable price? (Even with the capsule cover)

Cheers
Aaron
Aaron Koolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2002, 05:04 PM   #2
New Boot

I purchased the me66 in the states for around $380.00 (not including shipping) at bhphoto.com

I used it first time this weekend on a dv short and it performed flawlessly.

Here is the details for the mic at BHPhoto.

ME 66K6 Super-Cardioid Shotgun Condenser Microphone Capsule with K6 (Battery/Phantom) Power Supply

Mfr Catalog # ME66K6 B&H Catalog # SEME66K6
http://www.velocitymg.com
"High Performance Media"
Andy Konopacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2002, 11:18 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks andy, it looks like that place I called is charging a tad too much :) If I have no luck finding a supplier here I think I'll order from overseas.

Cheers
Aaron
Old April 24th, 2002, 09:50 AM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Aaron,

NervousGolfer's price is accurate in US dollar terms.

You should note, however, that the ME66 is one of Sennheiser's "modular" mics which feature a separate power module. The K-6 module, for example, provides battery power to the ME66. You will need to also purchase one of these unless you already have one.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2002, 05:59 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Sennheiser ME66

Aaron have you tried Digital Video Technoliges in Auckland, I have found their prices very good.
Barry Uddstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2002, 06:39 PM   #6
Trustee

Hey Barry. Another New Zealander I see. Yeah those are the guys that quoted me $1600. I will have to recheck what they said was in that quote cause it must have been something expensive in there although All I can remember was the mic, phantom power supply and mic cover capsule.

Barry, are you in Auckand? If so, do you have any of the Canon XM1, Xl1s or Sony vx2000 or PD150 that you wouldn't mind showing me a few of the ins and outs of? I've found it hard to source these cameras in store for a play and the place I did find some weren't very helpful - they didn't know much about them at all. If not I'll understand :)

Cheers
Aaron

BTW:I'll buy you some beer or something for your trouble :)
Old April 19th, 2004, 08:23 PM   #7
Regular Crew

About a year ago, I was shopping around for an ME66/K6 combo but never bought it. Now I'm in the market again. Visiting B&H, I see that B&H# SEME66K6 goes for $565. IIRC, these were going around $400. Has there been a price increase?

Can someone recommend a US source with better pricing now? TIA.
Edward Seid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2004, 08:41 PM   #8

"Has there been a price increase?"
Probably. The dollar's value has slid significantly against other major currencies, such as the Euro, over the past months. So German good, such as this, will likely be more expensive in US dollar terms.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old April 19th, 2004, 08:42 PM   #9

"Has there been a price increase?"
Probably. The dollar's value has slid significantly against other major currencies, such as the Euro, over the past months. So German goods, such as this, will likely be more expensive in US dollar terms. Dealers with older inventory (i.e. slower sales) may still offer lower prices.

You might look for a used mic in our Classifieds or elsewhere.

Old April 19th, 2004, 09:43 PM   #10
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Edward Seid : About a year ago, I was shopping around for an ME66/K6 combo but never bought it. Now I'm in the market again. Visiting B&H, I see that B&H# SEME66K6 goes for $565. IIRC, these were going around $400. Has there been a price increase?

Can someone recommend a US source with better pricing now? TIA. -->>>

The SEME66K6 includes the K6P (pahantom only) which is more expensive than the dual purpose K6. If you look carefully at the B&H page you will see the "email me for a better price" The better price is $468

A standard K6 will work with either battery or phantom. All buying a straight, garden variety K6 will do is save you money. The price marked is $565 and when you clicked the email me for a better price or click the "add to cart" button the price changes.

The ME66 with K6 is $399.95

The K6P is a lower production item so it's more money.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2004, 10:01 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks for the advice, guys. I overlooked the "email me for a better price" link on the B&H site. The >$500 price tag was enough to scare me.
Bryan, for both the SEME66K6 and SEME66K6P (phantom only), the listed price at B&H is $565. I guess you have to select the email option to get better pricing, which I didn't do.
Taking Ken Tanaka's advice, I visited the sponsors' websites and found the ME66/K6 for $374.95 + shipping at EVS. Just placed my order online :)
Many mahalos from Hawaii!
Edward Seid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2004, 10:44 PM   #12
Trustee

It's also a good idea to check shipping. B&H charge peanuts for shipping which will sometimes make a big difference in total price.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2004, 02:22 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Have you tried Malcolm over at Panavision? When I bought mine it was less than a grand for the ME66 and K6 together. If you get stuck let me know and will see what I can get it for.
Jon McLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2004, 09:44 AM   #14
Major Player

I buying my first XLR mic setup so I have a real basic question and then something more advanced.

I am buying the Me66/K6 to connect to my Gl-2. I also need a cable. Basic question: what gender connectors do I need on the cable? I am planning to run it through the Shure A96F on the camera end so I need a male connector on the camera end of the cable. But what gender needs to be on the mic end of the cable that connects to the K6? I assume the TecNec SC cables Markertek sells are good ones.

I have just enough funds to go for this package on the mic:

Sennheiser ME66 - Kit Including ME 66 Capsule, K6 Power Module and Rycote 18cm Softie / Pistol Grip

Which B&H is offering for around $650US when you call for their price. This means the Rycote part of the package is about $250. Does this seem reasonable as a package price for decent quality stuff?

I will use this setup on a boom for an upcoming shoot. There are some outside scenes so I would like to have the softie. Some of the indoor scenes will be in a very "live" room which I realize the ME66 may not be the best choice for. At least I have 16 foot ceilings to work with. I plan to ad mic. modules as future budgets allow.

I want to make the purchase in the next 24 hours so I appreciate prompt replies.
Bill Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2004, 09:49 AM   #15

"Which B&H is offering for around $650US when you call for their price. This means the Rycote part of the package is about $250. Does this seem reasonable as a package price for decent quality stuff? "

Yes, it is a correct price. The Rycote Softie and the shock mount/pistol grip are top-of-the-line accessories. You'll find very little, if any, variation in Rycote's prices. I think you'll be very happy with this setup.

Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio