wireless mic comparison at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 21st, 2004, 02:36 PM   #1
New Boot

wireless mic comparison

i'm looking at a camera that comes with a sony diversity wireless mic kit (up to 300ft.) i'm wondering if this would be a good choice to start off with for what i need. (i do short docs and occational weddings.) i was looking at a lectrosonics 100, which goes for about $1300 and up to 1000ft. i wouldn't mind saving that extra thousand dollars if the sony would be a good system for starters. any thoughts?
Emily Rumsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2004, 04:09 PM   #2
Major Player

Sony and sennheiser make nice sets in the 500 to 800 buck range with plenty of frequency choice and transmission range.

As for the extra 1000 bucks for the 1000 foot range, I would keep the 1k buck in my jeans. Unless of course you are using a telescope for a video camera and your talent were so stage frightened to have to be that far from the camera...

Just kidding ... that 1000 foot range has it's uses for live events in large venue halls and big zoom broadcast cameras.
So unless your weddings are at the most grand of locations, the money might best be saved for other gear.
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2004, 04:12 PM   #3
Trustee

It's been my experience with my 2 Lectro 100 series sets that the usable reliable range is only about 100 feet. Lectrosonic's higher end units are a much better investment in my opinion.
I don't have any experience with the Sony units, but generally speaking, diversity units are more reliable than single-antenna sets.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2004, 12:46 AM   #4
Inner Circle

there was no comparison between the Sonys and the Senns when i went shopping..

The senn wins hands down.. the EW series have to be some of the most robust packs and frequency flexible mics i have EVER had the pleasure of owning..

(frequency flexible as in dunamic range being WIIIIIIIDE... absolutely HUUGE basses are picked up with a head about the size of your pinky nail..

CANNOT be faulted
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2004, 04:24 PM   #5
New Boot

thanks for the senn suggestion. i looked into it and found something new to question...

what about this mic system from sennheiser?

Sennheiser Evolution 100 Series - Camera Mountable UHF Lavalier Wireless System with EK100 Receiver SK100 BodyPack Transmitter and ME4 Microphone (B 630-662)_
Emily Rumsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2004, 04:59 PM   #6
Trustee

I have the same setup only with the extra plug in transmitter for separate mics and I've never had a problem. I would recomend the ME2 omni lav rather than the ME4 hypercardoid. It's all the same price, just a different polar pattern... The hypercardoid is very directional.
Old April 25th, 2004, 11:08 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I use 2 EW100's on seperate channels depending on the job (if im doin stage or orchestra, im wired remotely for stereo.

I also use the ME2 omni lav's... absolutely BRILLIANT heads.. theyre omnidirectional, however with clever monitoring, u can work with this to your benefit

I would only recoomend a uni mic to those shooting is a controlled environment, like an interview or studio setup.

Personally, i am yet to have the need for that type of head (on a lav that is)
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio