DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   rode ntg3 and oktava mk012 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/212501-rode-ntg3-oktava-mk012.html)

Amos Kim April 18th, 2009 04:22 PM

rode ntg3 and oktava mk012

So I'm trying to combine a ntg 3 for outdoors and mk012 for indoors for short films. I was wondering if anyone had any opinion about this combo... would the two work well in terms of compatible quality of sound, or would the ntg3 be much more superior to the point where one would notice a sound quality discrepancy moving from indoor scene to outdoor scene?

thanks

Rick Reineke April 18th, 2009 06:47 PM

All other components being the same, I would anticipate no problems due to those mics. Indoors and outdoors are so different anyway.

I use AT 40 series shotguns and (Sound Room) Oktava without issue.

Dana Love April 18th, 2009 06:53 PM

I use NTG-2 and the MK012. There's a little finesse to blend the sounds, though I'm discovering there is no limit to the complexity of audio. They both sound great, and sound very credible together.

Chris Swanberg April 18th, 2009 08:01 PM

Like Dana I use the NTG-2 and MK-012 and thinkg they are both great. I think they play together nicely. IF (!) we assume the NTG-3 has similar sound characteristics... you should be fine.

Amos Kim April 19th, 2009 01:49 AM

what accessories do you use with the oktava? I hear it's very sensitive and needs some precautionary accessories.

Toenis Liivamaegi April 19th, 2009 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amos Kim (Post 1110878)
what accessories do you use with the oktava? I hear it's very sensitive and needs some precautionary accessories.

Rycote - InVision Suspension (really cheap)

I'm using NTG3 and Oktava too - but I've found that NTG3 is usable in about every situation and the Oktava stays in the bag - that is I've never been recording in really tight rooms. Specially for novce boom ops the NTG3 is more forgiving.

T

Amos Kim April 19th, 2009 04:12 AM

Thanks for reply Toenis. I'm thinking for tight rooms, oktava would be better choice than the rode. Anyways, how is the ntg3? I hear it's amazing.

btw my favorite foreign film takes place in estonia... lilja 4 ever... very powerful sad film.

Rick Reineke April 19th, 2009 05:18 PM

"what accessories do you use with the oktava? I hear it's very sensitive and needs some precautionary accessories."

Yes, that's one of the the weak points of the Oktava 012. They are prone to handling and wind noise... Quality control is another issue, counterfeits aside.

They need a really good shock mount to attenuate the handling noise. However in "normal" indoors situations, a foam windscreen should suffice unless you whip it around.

The Rycote Softie system shock mount is pretty much useless with the 012 for boom work.
I would look for an elastic band type mount. Though I have not tried the newer Rycote InVision.

Chris Swanberg April 19th, 2009 10:11 PM

I agree with Rick... a slim rubber band type of suspension is best. The Mk-012 is a terrific interior hypercardiod, but it does pick up handling noise pretty easily.

As an interior mic... you really do not need any foam wind protection though I made one of of open cell foam for mine... but rarely use it.

ps. If you have not had your Oktava modded, do it.

Toenis Liivamaegi April 20th, 2009 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Swanberg (Post 1114274)
I agree with Rick... a slim rubber band type of suspension is best. The Mk-012 is a terrific interior hypercardiod, but it does pick up handling noise pretty easily.

No no no :), Rycote InVision is much better than any rubber band mount when used indoors and without full wind protection. I'd recommend that one that fits NTG3 too.

Amos, the NTG3 really is a terriffic mic. I had one with sub 300 serial number last summer that was faulty and it was replaced directly from Australia and it came back with S/N 2500.

Amos Kim April 20th, 2009 01:02 PM

hey chris, what kind of mod, and where do I get it done? Toenis, I'm a newbie to sound, can you list all the accessories u would recommend to use the ntg3 and oktava? thanks for your help guys.

Rick Reineke April 20th, 2009 04:05 PM

The "Dorcey" modification
http://www.billsrecording.com/BSRS/Mod012.html I think Bill's sells the kit and service on e-bay too.

www.oktavamod.com (Micheal Jolly).

Amos Kim April 26th, 2009 05:17 PM

thanks rick

Chris Swanberg April 27th, 2009 09:24 AM

Bill's Recording service did mine....but the mod is more or less the same by either... I'd shop on pricepoint. I was quite pleased with the quick turnaround and responsiveness I got using Bill Sitler though.

Amos Kim May 18th, 2009 05:53 PM

Anyone know if the RODE SM3 Shockmount would hold the oktava?