Another Rode NTSM3 Shock Mount Broken - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 7th, 2010, 06:14 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Rycote Invision Hot Shoe Shock Mount - Pictures

Well the Rycote Invision Video Hot Shoe Shock Mount arrived about 5 minutes ago. Just tried mounting the NTG-3 and it's WS7 on it and seems pretty good - only a hint of a droop with the weight of all that hanging out front. I prefer the design and it seems very rugged yet wonderfully isolating for the microphone - which I'm sure experience will confirm.

I'll post some pictures shortly - if I get time! EDIT: Snaps below.
Attached Thumbnails
Another Rode NTSM3 Shock Mount Broken-ex3-ntg3-ws7-invision-1.jpg   Another Rode NTSM3 Shock Mount Broken-ex3-ntg3-ws7-invision-2.jpg  

Another Rode NTSM3 Shock Mount Broken-ex3-ntg3-ws7-invision-3.jpg   Another Rode NTSM3 Shock Mount Broken-ex3-ntg3-ws7-invision-4.jpg  

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; June 7th, 2010 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Adding snaps
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 07:12 PM   #17
Major Player

called Rode today b/c I had a little time - they said they're sending me out a replacement SM3 .. hopefully the part is better on the new ones (called the # on their support page on their US site) ... we'll see when it arrives, I called months ago but no shock mount .. I'll post when it does come in.... at least they didn't give me any difficulty when I called, just took my name & address and said they'd send it out
Dave Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 12:31 PM   #18
Major Player

replacement arrived from Rode .. entire new SM3 shockmount ... that's excellent service!!
Dave Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2010, 12:03 AM   #19
Inner Circle

UPDATE: I've posted more information about the Rycote Invision Video here (rather than extend a thread that has the Rode NT-SM3 as its title).

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...ml#post1572639
Old September 25th, 2010, 08:17 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
UPDATE: I've posted more information about the Rycote Invision Video here (rather than extend a thread that has the Rode NT-SM3 as its title).

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...ml#post1572639
Thanks Andy - Interesting review.

I like your suggestion of the little spring.

Regarding your complaint about the clip - I use the Rycote S-series XLR tail with all my mounts. Vibration easily travels up the cable to the mic. and the thin and flexible S-series tail effectively eliminates this noise - and the clip is perfect for that cable - retails at only £15 +VAT in the UK so is pretty cheap.
Old September 25th, 2010, 07:12 PM   #21
Major Player

I see you've already done it, but I was going to suggest you write Rode. I did the same thing and they sent me out a new one, and didn't ask for the old one.

I also recently got the Rycote Universal Camera kit for my EX1 and NTG-3, it seems good, though I don't like the drooping in the front. I haven't tested it yet. I plan on making a video. The price is cheaper than a mount and a softie, yet it's got more mounting options and cuts the wind better.

YouTube - Rycote
Old November 21st, 2013, 08:04 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Re: Another Rode NTSM3 Shock Mount Broken

I helped Rycote when they were developing the Lyre for the TLM 103. From that, I learned that the mass of the microphone has to be taken into careful consideration when designing the Lyre specs. There's a sweet spot where the suspension works very, very well. If the mic is too heavy or two light, it doesn't work anywhere near as well. Choose carefully for best results.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2013, 12:35 PM   #23
Trustee

this is hilarious:)
I just today took a look at this thread, i had the same mount and after about a month of use it got broken at the same very spot as it is on the first picture:))
Old November 23rd, 2013, 11:34 AM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
I helped Rycote when they were developing the Lyre for the TLM 103.
Ahh - so did I - I went to some meetings there with Chris Woolf and Hugh Robjohns and the Rycote crowd.
Old November 28th, 2013, 11:28 AM   #25
Regular Crew

I'm late to this discussion as well, but wanted to confirm I've experienced the same breakage issue with the Rode shock mount. There is a design deficiency with the plastic material used in the pivot joint. Rode needs to consider changing the material spec. It could be a decent mount. In its current state I would advise using something different. I'm using the Rycote Mike (first page) referenced and it is good except its hard to get tightened enough to stay put. Ended up using some small o-rings to make it grip better.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio