Using both Line level and a Mic level input. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 12th, 2007, 09:42 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Using both Line level and a Mic level input.

I'm shooting an interview tomorrow and plan on using my wireless Senn with lav for primary audio and a boomed Rode NT3 for backup.

My A1 only allows for either mic level or line level to be recorded, but not both.

Unless I'm mistaken, the Senn receiver is a line level device and the NT3 (without battery) is mic level.

What options do I have for ensuring that both channels will record good sound? (Phantom power on/off, go with a battery in the NT3, etc.).

Sorry for the newbie questions, but I've just gotten the Senns and have never recorded two channels before.

Thanks!
Dave Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 10:01 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I don't have an EW100 G2 receiver here in front of me, but as I recall the audio level can be attenuated as much as 30db in the receiver menu. That should then be in the ballpark of mic-level as seen by your cam.

Do try it today, though. If you're not able to get both mics close enough you'll probably need a mixer.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 10:17 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum View Post
I don't have an EW100 G2 receiver here in front of me, but as I recall the audio level can be attenuated as much as 30db in the receiver menu. That should then be in the ballpark of mic-level as seen by your cam.

Do try it today, though. If you're not able to get both mics close enough you'll probably need a mixer.
Just found an online copy of the G2 manual and yes, the receiver can be adjusted for mic level inputs. One problem down.

I suppose this means that I can disable phantom power for this channel? Or is it auto sensing and not really an issue?

Thanks!
Old July 12th, 2007, 11:47 AM   #4
Major Player

You should shut down the phantom if the connected device does not need it.
Petri Kaipiainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 11:48 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petri Kaipiainen View Post
You should shut down the phantom if the connected device does not need it.
Thanks.

Is this just a "good housekeeping" practice or is there really an adverse effect to leaving phantom power on?
Old July 12th, 2007, 01:07 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Sennheiser Receiver is Mic Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, the Senn receiver is a line level device and the NT3 (without battery) is mic level. Thanks!
I think your mistaken. I use my Sennheiser with the Sony VX2100 as a mic level device.
Old July 12th, 2007, 11:22 PM   #7
Major Player

Sennheiser's reciever output level can be adjusted from line to mic level. Better use line level, less chance of interference, unless you are forced to use mic level signal (like with XH-A1 with mic in the other input).

Phantom: Feeding 48 volts to devices that do not deed it is never good, even though many things do survive it, like dynamic mics and pro electronics. You also run out of battery much faster with phantom running.
Petri Kaipiainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 03:57 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Unless I'm mistaken, the Senn receiver is a line level device and the NT3 (without battery) is mic level.

Thanks!
The NT3 is mic level whether you're powering it with its internal battery or with phantom. Without either one, its output is no level at all.
Old July 13th, 2007, 05:52 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petri Kaipiainen View Post
Sennheiser's reciever output level can be adjusted from line to mic level. Better use line level, less chance of interference, unless you are forced to use mic level signal (like with XH-A1 with mic in the other input).

Phantom: Feeding 48 volts to devices that do not deed it is never good, even though many things do survive it, like dynamic mics and pro electronics. You also run out of battery much faster with phantom running.

Thanks for the explanation.
Old July 14th, 2007, 06:25 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Thanks.

Is this just a "good housekeeping" practice or is there really an adverse effect to leaving phantom power on?
Hello Dave,

There can be significant problems with some battery powered mics and some phantom supplies.

Even taking a feed from a house mixer to a camera mixer with the camera mixer's inputs set with the Phanton Power on can result in some very nasty audio.

Booming with an NT3!? So you have Superman as a boom op? I don't know many boomers who are capable of booming an NT3. It's way to heavy.

Regards,

TyFord

Last edited by Ty Ford; July 14th, 2007 at 06:28 AM. Reason: more info
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio