All Frosted CD are not created equal! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old February 24th, 2005, 06:55 AM   #31
Major Player

Just a thought - to make the unit smaller, has anyone tried using those mini CD's? Since the area is only about 18/24, I wonder if the until would be miniturized, but still keep the same picture with a mini-cd? I haven't seen them around in a while, but I am sure they are out there!
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2005, 06:28 PM   #32
Major Player

Leo, for my first 35mm adapter, I cut the CD to a size just a bit bigger than a mini CD. It worked.
I've just bought the window foil mentioned somewhere and tomorrow I'll make a new GG. I'll post the results if they are any good. (Yesterday I started shooting indoors, but my current GG is too dirty and light absorbing)
Oscar Spierenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2005, 11:32 PM   #33
Major Player

I've built my adaptor!

Hooray - finished tonight. Not able to post yet - nothing thrilling yet - I have serious vignetting. The press 'n seal is great - tomorrow before I commit to some sort of box to seal the contraption, I will refine distances and test by "mummifying" the apparatus in aluminum foil...

The weak link for me is confidently fixing unit to end of camera - might "borrow" some of Jon's ideas at his site www.aqua-web.com - the best use of washers I've seen in a long time...

Important side note: I used "Goop" to secure my cut-out back lens cap to the pegboard and let it dry overnight - man, that stuff rocks and now my 35mm lens is on great... too bad I can't glue the setup to the camera... well, I could... but...

Wow... I'm amazed though how something I myself built can actually work so half-decent... Maybe I should take on building the extension on the house solo after all? My wife would love that! Yeah, right!

Ok, I will search for vignette hints...

Cheers!

Will refine tomorrow and try to post footage/pics this weekend...

Mark
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2005, 07:34 AM   #34
Major Player

Mark,

You need to focus in tighter to get rid of vignetting, if you camera starts to blur after getting in too tight, you need to move the camera back away from the GG (at least that is what I do).
Old February 25th, 2005, 10:52 PM   #35
Major Player

Okay, I'll try that!

I have footage - serious hotspot/vignetting, but nevertheless, I have footage!

I also have pics of my aluminum foil wrapped system - bwhahahaha - it looks like something from the Apollo project...

I'm still working on setting up the website - if I didn't have the hotspot/vignetting issue, I'd be 100% happy - the press 'n seal is good and getting the system to confidently stay attached to the camera (once I set up the block/rail system) is the big challenge.

Wow, right now, it looks just like Super 8 footage!

Very interesting looking!
Old February 27th, 2005, 07:05 PM   #36
Major Player

Mark,

I am getting closer and closer to a final product myself. I am trying to find the Window Foil stuff and test all the different GG's that I have. I also want to find a condenser and a glass-smith to work on a CD type GG - which I can use instead of the CD. Keep up the work, Mark.

Remember, www.250free.com give a free website.
Old February 27th, 2005, 11:10 PM   #37
Major Player

I've got hotspot problems...

I've hunted around here for solutions and believe it's mostly the SLR lens I'm using - Canon EOS zoom 28-105mm f3.5...

Dan D. posted somewhere here (I believe) that prime lens with f1.something would give better results...

I added another layer of press 'n seal to make the CD surface more "diffuse" and that helped - although I have considerably darker image...

sounds like I'll need the condenser too.

My macro, a 72mm Canon close up extender called the 500D, doesn't give me enough magnification - I'll need the 72mm to 52mm step down ring and then something like the Hoya +2 or +4 or maybe more.

Still, I'm encouraged to be getting an image from something I myself built with minimal tooling and investment. Gosh, I'd love the p+s technik - I gather it's an excellent product but sheesh, the price is kinda silly for what it does?

Obviously, that is why there is so much discussion here I think in this forum on this topic - hey, I'm excited to see the various adaptors that will be offered for sale soon by the ones posting here... I'd happily plunk down a few hundred bucks, maybe even a grand or two if it worked really "well."

Okay, just some ramblings...

I'll look into the free website and give it a go tomorrow
Old February 28th, 2005, 06:54 AM   #38
Major Player

OK, I've made the GG with window foil suggested by Filip Kovcin. Thanks very much Filip!
Here is an example(highly compressed):

http://s01.picshome.com/1db/033.jpg

It's is shot with just one 500W pointed at the ceiling and one 300W pointed at the actors. It could use a bit more light, of course, but I’ve gained about 50% more light over my previous GG.

Leo, try to look for this:

adhésif décoratif transpatente or:

adhesive foil transparent
Oscar Spierenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2005, 03:14 PM   #39
Major Player

It looks amazing - first double cam film footage!

The problem isn't the name of the product so much Oscar, it is finding it. I have tried Home Depot and a few other local home fix it places, nothing - I have tried places that just sell windows - nothing. I am in Canada and don't know where the heck to find this stuff!

I have found something like it at Canadian tire, but it has a grid pattern on it - obviously can' t be used.

Have you tried the Press and Seal stuff - I would like to do a side-by-side comparision to see how they match up. The Glad Press and Seal works well, in my opinion and much better than wax paper or the heavy tracing paper I have.
Old February 28th, 2005, 05:43 PM   #40
Major Player

Here is a new comparison with the Press & Seal (ala Mark Kubat). This was taken at night, no lights - one with the DOF using the Press & Seal and one with just the DV camera, no DOF.

Still a little too dark, but maybe that is normal loss that most people get, not sure?

Going to go for the window foil next and then start on the real thing!

http://dvstuff.250free.com
Old February 28th, 2005, 06:32 PM   #41
Major Player

I too find it dark

If I stay with press and seal, I'll need a "faster" lens because yes, I have darkness issues...

one layer with my current lens = not diffuse enough, so hotspots. 2 layers is great, but much darker...

Well, it's a start.

Mandy, you're in Canada? Where? I'm in Toronto - close enough for us to hook up?

I'll be going to Henry's tomorrow to return my expensive macro extender and try to follow the pattern set here by others with 72mm diameter cameras: 72mm to 55mm step down and then Hoya type macro's...

Argh, I wish the guys building "pro" systems would just hurry up... *Big smile, big wink*
Old March 6th, 2005, 09:02 AM   #42
Major Player

Mark,

It sounds like you are on your way. I think two press and seals is going to be way too much light loss. The GG, that I am using now, is one layer of Press and Seal and looks really good - but I still need the condenser lens to avoid hotspots (which aren't really that bad).

Yes, I am in Canada, but not very close to Toronto
Old March 6th, 2005, 09:57 AM   #43
Major Player

I'm temporarily abandoning the home-made project..

Hi Mandy - long time no see!

Well, I've returned the in-effective macro adapter/extender that I got from Henry's - it was a Canon 72mm type 500D that just didn't allow me to get in close enough...

I see from the various posts that for someone like me with 72mm lens, 72-55mm stepdown with 55mm (or so) Hoya macro adaptors is the way to go...

No one in Toronto readily has 72-55 stepdown on hand - not even Vistek (our T.O. camera superstore)

That being said, I'd have to get a condenser too to reduce hotspots and from other posts here, seems like the type of SLR lens even comes into play...

So I'm putting the home-built version on hiatus because James Hurd really seems to be coming down to short-strokes with the micro 35 and I can wait a month or two. If summer rolls around and I still don't have something, I'll throw myself in head-first and go all out to make the best homebuilt system I can - I'm confident it can be achieved: the results so far are equal to like Super 8 footage... I see enough potential in the "filmic" look that this type of system derives that I want to follow it through to the end...

Mandy, I'll continue to be watching for your updates - you seem quite determined to have this system working to also realize your "vision."

Good luck!

Mark
Old March 6th, 2005, 10:47 AM   #44
Major Player

Thanks Mark. I hope your idea works out as well, whether you wait for James or not.

I have recently come up with a new oscillating idea that works, quite by accident. It is very unlike the one that was posted recently (which was great, BTW). This one allows for a much smaller GG (that doesn't have to be round and moves in a nice like vibrational, small circles manner.
I am still working on my prototype, trying to get it done now with padding to stop the noice and building a rail for it. But as of right now, I am ready to shoot, even though I am continuing to hone it (I am still trying to get the transparent foil for it).
Old March 6th, 2005, 12:05 PM   #45
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Mandy Leo : ...The problem isn't the name of the product so much Oscar, it is finding it. ... -->>>

mandy - if you still need this foil, just send me your private address on my mail, and will send you 2meters of it for free. i have the whole roll (10meters), so since i do not produce frosted CDs, for mases - i do not need such a big amount of it.

filip

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods