All Frosted CD are not created equal! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old February 10th, 2005, 09:36 PM   #16
Major Player

Strange, I have checked it on two different computers here. You might have to cut and paste the url - and if you get - Cannot create a Direct Show player, just hit enter to get rid of that and continue onto the page.
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2005, 03:05 AM   #17
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Mandy Leo : I wonder if there is another place that would sell it by the foot or yard instead? Anyone had any luck finding this stuff? -->>>

i bought mine in a shop with similar things - with different sticker foils for windows etc. small shop in the large kind of "shoping center" with all things needed for building a home or renewing a flat etc.
but i beleive that you can find it in chain similar to "leroy merlin" - at least in this part of europe is there. more in places like stuff for decoration of your furniture, interior, kitchens etc. if you REALLY cannot find it - send me your private addres by mail and i can send you say one meter of it 1mx45cm. no problem. i have it like 10m...

filip
Old February 11th, 2005, 06:57 AM   #18
Major Player

Cheers Filip!

I am going to look around, but thanks for the offer, I still might take you up on it!
Old February 11th, 2005, 07:42 AM   #19
Major Player

no problem - just send me an email.

filip
Old February 14th, 2005, 06:30 PM   #20
Major Player

Ok, a new sideXside comparison is up at my site. I have taken three shots - one with a homemade GG, another a factory Frosted CD and one without anything. Big differences. The homemade GG has a nice grain to it, but massive light loss. the Frosted CD has more light, but I can see the spinning grain.

http://dvstuff.250free.com

I am going to go the WAX paper and Tracing Paper (ala Oscar Spier's design). Testing right now is at night with a single light (60W). There is no evidence of a hotspot, but I will have to wait until I get outside during the day to confirm.

Should I be doing this test with a colour chart of some kind?
Old February 14th, 2005, 07:31 PM   #21
Major Player

or

http://dvstuff.250free.com/comparisons.jpg

Newer light loss comparison up now. Using
1) Frosted GG/CD
2) Homemade GG/CD
3) Wax paper GG/CD
4) Tracing Paper GG/CD
5) nothing at all.

The comparison are quite remarkable and a good indicator of the way things need to go. This is using a single lamp (night time).

As always, comments welcome.
Old February 14th, 2005, 10:33 PM   #22
Major Player

Great work!

Mandy - great comparisons! I like the homemade GG and wax paper ones the best - wow - you've really proven something here - the effect is comparable to putting a different filter on the camera... Nice to know that different effects are possible...

I'm encouraged enough by your results with this mediachance method to actually give it a go myself - I will try later this week!

Hafta get my SLR lens off my sister and get a macro... then it's hi-ho, hi-ho - off to work we go!

Please, keep up the grrrrrreat work!
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2005, 10:33 AM   #23
Major Player

Thanks for the support Mark. I am getting there, but each step forward seems to bring a new set of challenges. Check out my latest tests :

or

http://dvstuff.250free.com/comparisonsday.jpg

I keep coming back to the Frosted CD - which is ok, but going to continue to try and find another method.

Also, my focus on infinity is still bothering me. I really need two people to do this - one to adjust the screws and another to watch the LCD for sharpness. Also, shooting out the window leaves alot of contrast and makes it hard to see. I think Bob Hart said to shoot out a window from a dark room?

Any comments, always welcome that will steer me in a right direction.
Old February 20th, 2005, 09:00 AM   #24
Major Player

Well, I think I am moving away from the frosted GG/CD.

In recent tests, I noticed that with the tracing paper, I get a much large viewing area for the DV camera, which is great!

BUT with the tracing paper, in low light, it is much darker and therefore more light loss - so there has to be a happy medium (which I think would be commercial GG like James is getting).

Also with the Frosted CD there are alot of spinning artifacts when shot in certain lights (brighter). Right now I am going to try Wax paper again with a CLEAR CD. My previous test was with a Green tinted CD - which I didn't realise was tinted until after I took all of the coating off.
Old February 20th, 2005, 12:00 PM   #25
Major Player

New tests with the Macro 7+ up on my site. Light and colour testing using the Wax Paper, Frosted CD, Tracing Paper and my own Rolling Pin GG.

I don't want to continue to use the Frosted GG, but each time it outperforms the others in test, so I might have no choice! Going to try Press and Seal like Mark suggested today -- but I am running out of clear CD's!!!

Comments welcome.
Old February 20th, 2005, 08:02 PM   #26
Major Player

I think Press N' Seal rocks!

Ok, I'm on night shift at my job at the t.v. station so I've run out of time - but just testing the "setup" in my darkened kitchen with CD motor and 35mm lens, the imagery on the diffuse Press 'N Seal on clear CD seems to look grrrrreat!!!

Mandy, definitely give it a go!

I'm going to your site to see the latest now...

By the way, I plunked down big bucks on 72mm macro extender (I think it's about +2, +4 range) for my DVX - it's made by Canon and the quality is excellent... It also fits the HDV cam made by Sony: FX1/Z1... The latter has tremendous low-light capability so wow, if you're losing light through the SLR lens, it'll compensate...

I'm starting to suspect that my "project box" is going to be a bit longer given the optics of the bigger 3-CCD video cameras with 72mm lens...

I like the idea of first building with wood because I'm going to glue washers to the boards so I can have "thread" to finely adjust the distances between the elements. Once I get the distances down, it's just a matter of building a shell around it...

I'm building tomorrow. I've switched computers here at home and have to re-establish my ftp access to my web domain so I can start posting results like Mandy...

More this week!

Cheers!
Old February 20th, 2005, 09:47 PM   #27
Major Player

Good job Mark. I am looking forward to seeing your stuff.

Right now I am at the point where fine tuning is coming into play. Still at the prototype stage, but ready to start working on the rail for the tripod. A pretty simple setup of a piece of wood for the bottom and an adjustable sled for the camera to enable it to move towards the dof machine and away. AFter that, I am looking into cylindrical housings for the GG and the motor. The project box won't work, so I am returning that for sure. The cylindrical housing will hopefully fix the problem with length from the DV to the GG with is a lot longer than I thought.

Got the Press and Seal tonight. It looks pretty good! I will post pics tomorrow of the test. Getting the focus to infinity is crucial, but it is only one step in the process - next is getting it to stay with all the vibrations of the motor and CD running!

Keep me posted.
Old February 23rd, 2005, 11:32 PM   #28
Major Player

I've started building my adaptor...

Just an update as I've started assembling my adaptor...

I'll be setting up a website with details on my adventure probably this weekend - right now, I'll just mention I'm at the stage of having prepared the board with the CD motor and the 2nd board with the lens cap for the 35mm lens - I'm waiting for glue to dry and will resume tomorrow (Feb 24)...

Observations so far, helpful notes:

*for the "boards" I'm using "pegboard" from Home Depot - easy to cut even with a utility knife and has pre-drilled holes to allow for screws etc.

*stove bolts seem to do the trick...

*press 'n seal so far on clear CD for ground glass - will confirm how "good" this is tomorrow...

*tough to find a good "project box" - but Home Depot sells cheap flashing (flat sheetmetal for roofing) that I'll use to "plate" the casing I customize from some wood - maybe even said pegboard...

More tomorrow.

I can't wait to get this done... Will post footage asap.

Mark
Old February 24th, 2005, 06:40 AM   #29
Inner Circle

As an alternative to project boxes you could try an electrician, electrical installer or parts wholesaler to find a suitable sized PVC junction box for house or factory mains wiring.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2005, 06:50 AM   #30
Major Player

Funny that you actually mentioned that, because I was looking at one in the garbage the other day and it got me thinking - can I use that?! Awesome Bob - hitting an electrical supply store today to see what they have.

Mark

The Press and Seal stuff works really good - that was a good call on it!
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods