Letus35XL - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old March 27th, 2006, 10:56 PM   #106
Inner Circle

Quyen.

If you are looking for easy materials to make a pin lock for the Nikon mount, have a look at the needle rollers out of automotive drive shaft universal joints.

They are chrome finished and have rounded ends which should not gouge the aluminium on back of the Nikon lenses. One of those, in a hole drilled right through your Nikon/Canon reversable mount might do the trick. You would need to have a simple flat leaf spring about 1.5" long, fastened at one end to the case to push the pin forward.

To stop the pin from falling out through the hole you would need to have something like the small electrical screw and clamp wire connectors you find in electrical switches, clamped on to one end or a simpler piece of plastic tube pushed over one end and tacked with glue.

A few little scratchmarks from a little grinding disk on a Dremel cut into the end to be glued should make sure the piece of plastic tube stays put.

There would have to be another button in the case to push against the flat spring so the pin gets pulled back in to release the lens.

I did not engineer a pin lock as I found that using the Nikon circular spring alone was enough for my purposes. The spring also keeps the lens flange firmly against the mount face.

Your dual purpose mount would have to be re-designed into two pieces to accommodate the Nikon spring and there would then be no advantage from a manufacturing standpoint to doing this over making two separate mounts for Canon and Nikon.

The method I described was the way I was going to go about making a pin lock.

There are also very useful little coil springs inside of every disposable cigarette lighter which uses a flint and wheel. The spring is under the little flint which rubs on the wheel to make the sparks to light the gas.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 05:56 AM   #107
Regular Crew

Quyen, would you kindly shoot something in 16:9 and upload? Would be awesome to see =)
Andreas Rylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2006, 03:19 PM   #108
Regular Crew

Sorry if this has been asked before: does the flipmodule degrade picture quality?
Christian Schmitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2006, 04:36 PM   #109
Major Player

Andreas Rylander

I don't have XL2 to shoot 16:9, my betatesters will do that for you.

Christian Schmitt

I don't think of any quality issue with flipping, just little bit of light loss, thanks.

Quyen
Old March 29th, 2006, 04:53 PM   #110
Major Player

What could possibly be the issue with 16x9? If all the other canon XL series lenses work fine with the XL2 in 16X9 mode why wouldn't the relay lens work properly? The 16X9 ratio is derived from the chips in the camera not the lens. The XL series lenses even work with the new XLH1(albeit not resolving as high as the camera demands). It would seem to me that the flange distance and the lens diameter is the same for all Canon XL series.

I don't think it would be a problem at all, but I'll post some results once I get my Letus35XL.
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2006, 07:08 PM   #111
Regular Crew

Is anyone planning to use the Letus35XL with the new Canon XLH1? That is the footage I really want to see.

Quyen, just let me know when the Letus35HD100 is ready. My money is ready. Thanks for the great work. Just got my upgraded Letus35flip and it seems great so far.
Old March 29th, 2006, 07:19 PM   #112
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Cross
Is anyone planning to use the Letus35XL with the new Canon XLH1? That is the footage I really want to see.

Quyen, just let me know when the Letus35HD100 is ready. My money is ready. Thanks for the great work. Just got my upgraded Letus35flip and it seems great so far.
I ordered the LETUSXL last week and will be posting footage with the CANON XLH1 and the CANON XL2.
Shane Valdez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2006, 08:17 PM   #113
Major Player

ill be posting xl1s
Old March 29th, 2006, 09:27 PM   #114
Regular Crew

Hey guys,
I look forward to seeing the XL2 footage especially, and the H1 footage will be an added bonus.
Old March 30th, 2006, 01:38 AM   #115
New Boot

Quyen,
One question ,can the adapter be sent back to you guys to be fitted for another camera?

For example ;lets say I got the xl adapter ,then down the road I got a jvd hd 100.Could I send the adapter in to get it fitted for that for an extra charge?
Or would I need to get a whole new adapter?

We have 2 xl2s now.
We might be getting in a HD100 though in a few months.
Im not sure.

Definitely like the hd100 a little better.
Jeremy Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2006, 02:51 AM   #116
Major Player

I am making HD100 adapter now. The XL and HD100 are quite different in design, so the adapter for HD100 camera is the whole new design and cannot be interchanged with XL parts. If you want HD100 adapter, I think you should wait another month, thanks.

Quyen
Old March 30th, 2006, 03:55 PM   #117
Trustee

Just jumped in from an H1 forum thread...

Sorry if this has been discussed but I don't have time to read through all 116 posts.

I love the mini35 concept, I just wanted to know if by buying either of the adapters will render the Canon factory adapter for still lenses obsolete?

Obviously these adapters do more than just fit the lens to the body.

Haven't bought the Canon adapter yet but it was on my list.

Ken.
Ken Diewert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2006, 04:06 PM   #118
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Diewert
Sorry if this has been discussed but I don't have time to read through all 116 posts.

I love the mini35 concept, I just wanted to know if by buying either of the adapters will render the Canon factory adapter for still lenses obsolete?

Obviously these adapters do more than just fit the lens to the body.

Haven't bought the Canon adapter yet but it was on my list.

Ken.
I would say it was obsolete before it was made. Yeah it allows you to use those other lenses, but it does nothing for the DOF, and adds 7.7x magnification to your zoom. Unless you're shooting from large distances and need to zoom in a lot, I'd reccomend not getting the Canon adapter. The Letus35 will allow you to mount the same lenses, but take advantage of all their 35mm properties like DOF.
Jacob Ehrichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2006, 04:41 PM   #119
Major Player

once this comes out my 16x lens will become absolutely obsolete as well.. i havent shot once without my letus since i got it.,
Old March 30th, 2006, 09:07 PM   #120
Regular Crew

Hey Quyen,

I was looking at the footage and I just had a quick question. I have a mad slow connection so it takes a while for these things to load but as i was looking at the beginning second or so it looked really soft, and i was kind of disappointed, and then the next second loaded and there was this, what looked like, a fade transition, and then it was crystal clear. My question is just what was going on with the beginning.

Also, a request to the beta testers. can you guys do some resolution tests against the stock lenses (16x and 20x and what ever came with the H1).

So far the footage looks really good (cept for that first second or so) and im pretty excited.

]:-( --->

http://geocities.com/anarchist_lb
Jon Laing is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods