Letus35XL - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old March 12th, 2006, 12:43 PM   #31
Major Player

Leuname Ereh

If the demand on the 1/2" chip Sony's XDCAM-HD series or the 2/3" chip GV Infinity or GY-HD7000 is high, I will make some for them.

Michael Maier

To know the spec of a lens like mini35 relay lens is not that hard since I have spent a lot of money and time into it. There are some things you should look at when you want to learn the spec:
- Distance from the last element to CCDs
- Diameter of that element
- Maximum/minimum IRIS opening.
- Ratio

When compare the spec, it's not necessary to compare quality here. For example 1 Canon FD lens and 1 Vivitar FD mount lens have the same spec of f2.8 doesn't mean that they have the same quality. I will let the testers tell you what quality my relay lens is.

Thanks.

Quyen
Old March 12th, 2006, 04:44 PM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Winter
Leo, I'm not sure exactly how it affects the focal length but if you had the depth of focus numbers it could be determined if infinity focus is still available. All i know is that it seems to work quite well for me without having to fuss with the distance of the GG.
That is interesting. Great to hear, I want to get one myself, and not having to fiddle around with the grommets and white plastic is a bonus. Got any new footage with the lenses?
Old March 12th, 2006, 06:03 PM   #33
Trustee

Leo, a bunch of shots in my movie "broken minds" were shot with the 28mm M42. The in-car shot, for example, as well as a few shots in the bedroom by the desk.

http://media.frozenphoenixproduction...enminds_hi.mov
Old March 13th, 2006, 06:20 PM   #34
Major Player

the letus35xl pics are up www.adapterplace.com
im so anxious to get my hands on it
Old March 13th, 2006, 06:31 PM   #35
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Todd
the letus35xl pics are up www.adapterplace.com
im so anxious to get my hands on it
All I see is the normal flip version. Not the XL.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 08:00 PM   #36
Major Player

my mistake.. its only a new pic of the new flip version.. sorry
Old March 13th, 2006, 09:23 PM   #37
Major Player

Picture of Letus35XL prototype

I know some of you want to see the pictures of the Letus35XL to see if how big it is, how will it look on the Camera, so I uploaded the pictures of my prototype here. The final unit will look very close to what you see here, thanks.
http://letus35.com/35XL.JPG
http://letus35.com/35XL1.JPG

Quyen
Old March 13th, 2006, 10:11 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Looking great! One thing that may be a problme to me is the wire going from the battery housing to the motor. I seem to get my cables caught on everything and this would likely be no different. Any chance we'll see some type of hardware integration? Not necessarily integrating the batteries into the housing though.
Jacob Ehrichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 10:21 PM   #39
Major Player

I can custom made the plug for it if it's what you like. Please keep in mind that this one is not the final one and the final unit's picture can be slightly different. Thanks.

Quyen
Old March 13th, 2006, 10:41 PM   #40
Major Player

looks good quyen. More compact than i expected. It will be alot easier getting those tight shots now. Shooting in cars has been a challenge with the 16x lens
Old March 13th, 2006, 11:57 PM   #41
Regular Crew

Can't wait!!! :)
Jason Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 01:27 AM   #42
Major Player

I want one...now!!!
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 04:01 AM   #43
Regular Crew

Maybe this is a silly question, but can someone explain the advantage of having the Letus in a relay configuration? How is it superior to the standard fixed lens + Letus configuration? Does it let in more light? I use a PD170 + Letus35a, and I'm starting to feel vaguely jealous of the XL... ;)
Gabriel Chiefetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 04:13 AM   #44
Major Player

Excellent work, Quyen!
Old March 14th, 2006, 04:37 AM   #45
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Chiefetz
Maybe this is a silly question, but can someone explain the advantage of having the Letus in a relay configuration? How is it superior to the standard fixed lens + Letus configuration?
The adapter looks great. But my opinion is that it won't be superior in anything. Maybe less light loss. But sharpness and resolution will most likely be not as good as the Canon 20x. Neither will be level of distortion or chroma. Just think, Canon is a big company with years of experience in optics. If anybody could go out and make a better lens for much less than them for a XL2, everybody would be doing it. Not even Optex, which also had years of experience in optics and actually made lenses adventured in making a lens for the XL series. They knew that to make something good would cost a lot and people would most likely not pay for it. What they did was convert an existing Fujinon lens. A relay lens needs more than just focus the GG image in the CCD. I don't mean to rain on Quyen's parade here. I really hope I'm proved wrong and the relay is awesome and sharp, so I can buy the HD100 version when it comes. But I'm realistic and know of the difficulties of making a lens. Besides if it was easy and cheap, we would have dozens of different companies like Optex (I know they went under), Cavision, Tiffen, Century and even Fujinon or Canon, making a set of primes for the XL series and for the HD100. Because the demand for it is sure there, specially for that cheap. Why do you think we don't have it?
If the flip version was $600 and the XL version will be $800, the relay is $200. For $200 a pop, XL and HD100 primes would sell like hot cakes. You can barely buy some Nikons for this price and a lens for 35mm is much, much easier to make than a lens for 1/3”, specially if you are talking 1/3” HD in the case of the HD100. A lens for the HD100 would have to resolve over 120 lp/mm. That's a though spec to meet. A relay is basically a prime lens designed to focus on a flat plan.
Not really a simple thing.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods