Redrock, Brevis, SGPro Shootout - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Alternative Imaging Methods
DV Info Net is the birthplace of all 35mm adapters.

Old January 20th, 2007, 10:41 AM   #91
Regular Crew

Thank you very much Phil :D,

so an over-simplified summary so far is:

*setup-time: Brevis (a minute less) > M2/SGPro (15 minutes)
*Edge-to-Edge-Sharpness: SGPro leads by an edge while Brevis can perform well most of the time & M2 can perform well too under "controlled environment"
*professional look: M2 > Brevis > SGPro (if people are willing to pay more for a nice logo yet want a good impression of Pro, then M2 is top of their list).

I think it is good to have a compiled version of your review so people can justify what point is more important to them.

For me, Edge2Edge > setup-time >>> pro-look.

Look forward to more of your personal experience on these great products especially if any chance you can cover those inquiries I emailed you before :).

ta~
Ing Poh Hii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 11:41 AM   #92
Trustee

Phil, do you have grabs from each Adapter of a chart or a scene to compare?
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 03:49 PM   #93
Major Player

Couple of points on the edge to edge issue. First there are a few factors to consider when testing for it.

1. Phil did this test with the old version of the Nikon lens mount which we've scrapped. There were too many problems with alignment and the manufacturer simply couldn't bring it up to our requirements as far as quality goes. The new design drops in at it's proper register (but we've left room for fine tuning to the diffuser options if required) and has a much tighter XY tolerance (about .005"). The new design is much better.

2. There are two areas to check for proper axial alignment at the rear of the unit. There is no guess work or measuring, just attention to detail on those points. If the GG is not perfectly perpendicular to the optical axis, under very shallow DOF condtions you could see differential focus edge to edge. If you are framed (see below) for 16:9, you may also be pushing the 35mm image cone.

3. Our 72mm achromat as well as the 16:9 biased imaging adapter actually allow you to exceed the 35mm "standard" horizontal field of view. This means that you can potentially push the envelope of the 35mm image cone. While this is great, not all lenses will perform at their best across a perfectly perpendicular focus plain like this. Fortunately, very few shots using DOF are composed that way, so this is something you can only typically pick out using a focus chart under controlled conditions. We always suggest carefull testing with all your lenses first so that if this is an issue for that lense, you can plan for a more "typical" 35mm format frame.

So basically, if you require perfect edge to edge sharpness, the adapter is very capable of doing this.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 04:24 PM   #94
Regular Crew

Philip, what about the light loss? which one can operate better in low light conditions?
Biel Bestue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 07:50 PM   #95
Trustee

If you can all hang on all your questions will be answered in the rest of the article when I get it done.

It is going to have to wait though as my beloved cat "Arnie" the star of my short Kitty Crack died today aged just over a year. One minute he was playing fetch with me the next he was dead.

He was the most human animal I have ever met. Devoted and adorable. My girlfriend and I are devastated. It's hard to explain to non pet lovers but it feels absolutely awful.
Old January 20th, 2007, 09:01 PM   #96
Inner Circle

Sorry to hear that Phil...
Old January 20th, 2007, 11:57 PM   #97
Trustee

Very sorry for your loss Phil...

I know what thats like loosing the most beautiful Rottweiler the good Lord ever created, Katie Bear last year, and near that point once more,
as our cat Amanda is 23 years old,
and our English Mastiff Bear is 11 years old.
All the best to you and your girlfriend!
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 01:04 AM   #98
Obstreperous Rex

Unfortunately I know just how you feel -- my condolences to both of you,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 01:49 AM   #99
Major Player

Phil, we lost our great feline friend Gus the Cat (15 or so years old) last year. My daughter still asks those difficult questions like "how come we can't visit him in heaven"? The little buggers really manage to sneak in as legitimate family members, and are mourned much the same. It's great that you've got the video (and no doubt many pictures) to remind you of your special relationship with him.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 02:17 AM   #100
Major Player

life's a gift

Wow, well my girlfriend and I just lost a puppy- one that she searched, dwelled, and contemplated getting for a very long time. We were so relieved to have him, and he definately lit up our lives for the short time we had him. While holiday traveling we left him with the original owner, who took great care of him. Unfortunately he ate a poisonous plant that she was unaware she had and died, along with a new puppy of her own. My girlfriend is devasted, and I know its only a dog, but its been a week of the reminder of the fragility of life after one of my residents here at school lost an arm in a car accident, with two friends in the driver and passenger seats dead. Its a broken world. I feel your loss Phil.

-Alan
Alan Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 06:41 AM   #101
Major Player

Sorry to hear that Phil.

I have just had some bad news myself, my grandmother passed away last night. She helped me so many times in my life, always thinking of others. She will be greatly missed.

Last edited by Wayne Kinney; January 21st, 2007 at 12:37 PM.
Wayne Kinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 01:34 PM   #102
Regular Crew

Phil, Wayne . . . condolences to both of you.
Old January 21st, 2007, 04:17 PM   #103
Trustee

its amazing how such a litte thing can become so competely part of your family. He was in all but name a dog. Totally dependent on us, couldnt look after himself, played fetch, ate anything he could get his hands on. The house is very quiet without him!

Really sorry to hear about your nan Wayne. I hope you are OK.

With regards to the shootout. I will finish it during the week

Best

Phil
Old January 22nd, 2007, 02:08 AM   #104
Regular Crew

I am very sorry to hear that Phil, sometime love is such an as wonderful yet as difficult thing...

I hope you have taken some video of Arnie, it would be a treasured memory...
Ing Poh Hii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 02:32 AM   #105
Tourist

Hello,
I have been lurking here for a while waiting for the results as many others...
was compelled to post to let you know I was sorry to hear about Arnie the cat. Mine is over twelve years old and still jumping around.

Kitty Crack was great.

Regards,
Tom
Tom Mott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Alternative Imaging Methods