View Full Version : Various GL1 / XM1 questions

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Don Palomaki
May 11th, 2002, 05:17 AM
Believe that Sony added a filter. Actually, it was not a true x-ray vision. One coud see outlines of undergrments if the outer wear was of a fabric that was relatively transparent to IR (e.g., some synthetics). The few samples I saw posted were not impressive. If that is one's thing, better to visit the nearby adult video store, buy a tape that fits one's kinks, capture desired footage into the NLE, and filter it to give the "night-vision" look.

patro_sg
May 13th, 2002, 01:32 AM
I am almost about to buy the XM-1 here in Singapore, but am wondering if the camera has an RCA jack input? I'd like to copy footage from a VHS tape onto DV and put it in my computer. I've heard there are no such inputs, which I find hard to believe.

If not, how can I get this VHS footage onto DV? There must be a way with this camera.

Thanks

PATRO

slas_swe
May 13th, 2002, 07:08 AM
From what I've heard only the NTSC GL-1 can convert analog-in to dv, not the PAL XM-1. Strange...very strange...

Kjeld Smed
May 13th, 2002, 03:05 PM
The PAL version donīt have analog-in because of the EUC Tax-policy at the time XM1 arrived.

Kjeld

patro_sg
May 13th, 2002, 09:14 PM
BUT SINGAPORE'S NOT IN THE EU!!!!

So what solution is there if I need to get some VHS footage into my computer? I guess I have to have a capture card with analog inputs.

Can anybody offer any other solutions?

Thanks,

PATRO

Kjeld Smed
May 14th, 2002, 12:22 AM
Hi Patro,

Take a look at The Son of Watchdog GL1-411.com. I think one had made changes to his XM1 in some way.
You could get a Dazzle Holywood DV Bridge Analog/Digital Converter or
JVC HR-DV s3(0) MiniDV-VHS deck.

Kjeld

patro_sg
May 14th, 2002, 12:45 AM
Thanks a lot.

Would a more cost-effective solution be just to buy a capture card with not only the firewire plug but analog inputs?

In other words, what extra capabilities would I gain from buying a Dazzle Holywood DV Bridge Analog/Digital Converter or
JVC HR-DV s3(0) MiniDV-VHS deck (that I wouldn't get with a capture card with both digital and analog inputs).

-PATRO

Marius Svendsen
May 14th, 2002, 07:31 AM
How much do u pay for the Canon Xm-1 in Singapor??
In $.....

Marius Svendsen
May 14th, 2002, 07:33 AM
Hello, Im looking for a used Canon Xm-1 or broken if can be fixed easy.
I pay all shipping to Norway, no stress:)
Also have stuff to trade....

Adrian Douglas
May 14th, 2002, 08:48 AM
I posted an answer to this in the PAL and NTSC thread.

Marcus Farrar
May 14th, 2002, 11:14 AM
There is one for sell on Eday now.

patro_sg
May 14th, 2002, 06:25 PM
Here in Singapore, the XM-1 is around US $1700 with the warranty and all standard accessories (battery and I'm not sure what else).

But for about US $1400-1500 it wouldn't come with the warranty, and probably not the battery or anything else at all.

-PATRO

HVproductions
May 15th, 2002, 07:59 PM
I need suggestions on how to record a live band, I've gotten the optics down, and the gl1's onboard mic is horribly overdriven with bass and overall sounds terrible in smaller venues. How should I go about getting quality live audio? Thanks in advance, Max

Aaron Koolen
May 15th, 2002, 11:14 PM
Hi all, there are some Kiwis and Aussies on here and I was wondering if any of you know where a good place in either country is to get cameras from, preferably secondhand? I'd love a second hand xl1s, but even an XM1 would be ok.

Cheers
Aaron

K. Forman
May 16th, 2002, 06:13 AM
How much you got to spend? You could try running everything from their amp into the camera using an attenuator. That whould be the cheapest. You might spend $20 or $30 on adapters and stuff.
I use a Korg D12 as my audio recorder, which was about $1000. I can either run it into the amp or house board, or if all else fails, run mics into it.

Don Palomaki
May 16th, 2002, 02:23 PM
As a first step, try the MIC ATT setting. That should help with the saturation of the inputs and overdriving the AGC, at least to SPL of around 125 dB or so.

Beyond that , you will need a quality mic to cope with live rock band sound levels. One that tha reach over 125 dB SPC with low distortion. Many modest priced condensor shotguns pass the 1% harmonic distortion level under 120 dB SPL.

HVproductions
May 16th, 2002, 05:08 PM
I would generally like to go the cheapest route, but if needed I will save some bucks for equipment because the sound I have so far is simply horrid. Alot of the set ups are quite shoddy and there is no PA to run a line from, so basically I need some type of mic system. Im no audio expert and have no clue what direction to go in and with how much money. thanks.

Chris Hurd
May 16th, 2002, 05:39 PM
I would like to get more of you guys down under on board here. Try posting a want-to-buy ad in the Private Classifieds forum.

Marcus Farrar
May 21st, 2002, 09:00 AM
Greetings

I am about to purchase a GL-1 to compliment my XL-1 on video shoots. I was searching around for a good deal and came across a site way lower than the rest http://www.bwayphoto.com/.

Has anyone had any bad run ins with Broadway Photo or is this just a good deal. They are advertising for $1350, and when you add in the Canon $250 rebate you have $1100. That's almost to good to be true.

Any suggestions.

Chris Hurd
May 21st, 2002, 09:26 AM
Howdy from Texas,

Stay far, far away from that place. It's a bait and switch rip-off. Generally, if the price seems to good to be true, then it is.

See my post about this in the XL1 forum:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22

Consider making your purchase from my sponsors who support these boards, making it possible for you to use them to ask these sorts of questions.

Three of my sponsors can get a GL1 for you: Pro-Tape, ZGC and Zotz Digital. Go to my site at www.dvinfo.net and click on "sponsors." The GL1 has a factory rebate of $250 and these dealers will help facilitate that. Hope this helps,

Ed Smith
May 21st, 2002, 10:01 AM
As Chris says stay away from them, and go for a reputable dealer like the sponsors who bring you this wonderful site.

There was another discussion about Broadway photo, on another thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=278

All the best in your search,

Ed Smith

jeffyr163
May 21st, 2002, 01:45 PM
I called Broadway. I asked about the camera being "grey" market and they avoided the question twice. Turns out if the camera were any darker grey it would be black........sold without battery or any accessories. And guys were not pleasant to deal with at all. They were way overpriced on a MACK warranty too.
I have always dealt with B&H for photography gear , but they are charging us NJ people taxx now, so I called Zots and was very happy with the conversation I have with them. I have not ordered yet, but am leaning toward doing it soon and will call zots again.

jeffyr

tkeeler33
May 21st, 2002, 07:13 PM
Hello,

I think i'm ready to plunge into GL1 market! I've tried reading as much as I can, and making the "right" decision to purchase a DV camcorder. So anyways... I'm looking for some final suggestions and tips from you GL1 users, as far as what accessories to purchase. I'd like to use the GL1 to make movie shorts, and possibly some event films, such as weddings, sporting events, etc...

I'm planning on purchasing a GL1 with the following accessories:
- Bogen/Manfrotto 3221 w/either the 3063 or 3130 micro fluid head
- Spare batteries and tapes (of course)
- UV filters (suggestions on brands? I was thinking crystal optics)
- Upgrade the mic (suggestions?)
- XLR adapter (need suggestions here! :) )
- A decent carrying bag (?)

Hmm, I'd love any suggestions and pricing for the above along with any other accessories you guys can recommend.

What do you guys think about Wide angle lenses, shoulder harnesses, etc... Are they useful at all? If so, in what type of conditions?

Oh yeah, in the future I'd love to get an underwater housing for the GL1, so I can take it scuba diving in Belize!! :-p

Thanks guys, I'd appreciate all the info I can get!

-Tim

p.s. - Oh yeah, The pricing seems good for th

Marius Svendsen
May 22nd, 2002, 08:49 AM
Any place I can call or write to order the Canon Xm-1(GL-1)...I need PAL since I live in Europe.
Need a good price too.

Ken Tanaka
May 22nd, 2002, 10:11 AM
For what it's worth, Zotz Digital is a good shop. I purchased my first XL1 from them.

Chris Hurd
May 22nd, 2002, 12:57 PM
In my opinion the most valuable tool you can get, especially when doing any type of tripod work, is a remote lens controller. I have several reviews on my sites at www.dvinfo.net and www.dvinfo.net/xl1.htm for various controllers from VariZoom, and Don Palomaki submitted one about the Canon ZR1000. All will work with the GL1. These things are worth their weight in gold in my opinion and I'll never shoot without one. Check 'em out.

Don Palomaki
May 22nd, 2002, 02:37 PM
Consider the 501 head (3433). it is better than either the 3130, 3160, or the 3063 for a few dollars more.

The Studio One Pro is probably a slightly the better XLR adapter (relative to the Beachtek). But ergonomics of cable attachment may be important to you.

The Sennheiser ME66 is a popular and high quality external shotgun mic. But do you need stereo? If so, check the AT-822, it can plug directly into the GL1, or the AT825 that uses XLR conectors.

For weddings a wireless mic is more valuable than a good shotgun mic. Consider the UHF multi frequency diversity models. Samson for one at a moderate price point.

Attach filters only when you need to. They can add stray reflections and collect dirt that can show up in the video when shooting at a small aperture.

anand_k_nair
May 28th, 2002, 08:51 AM
Hi, This is my first message as I just joined the group and my GL 1 is on its way from B&H NY. I saved the tax by shipping it to Rhode Island .
I escaped from the Broadway deal of 1350 after I called them and found out the price is after the $250 rebate and with no accessories !!! That is , if you add up the price for all accessories which comes with the price it exceeds the sales price of any authorised dealer !

Marcus Farrar
May 28th, 2002, 09:59 AM
I have read a lot or reviews about this company and most of them are negative. They confirm what everyone is saying in the thread. Thanks for the heads up on this one. I will be going with a more reputable company. I called Broadway Photo myself. The sales person gave me the accesory spill. Can you believe they don't even send a lens cap with the advertised Gl-1. Please that company is a big rip off. You can not get the rebate with that item and it dose not come with the factory warrenty. I had to call and check it out myself just to see for myself. I am glad I did not order with them.

arenhansen
May 31st, 2002, 04:07 PM
Hi,

Which wide angle adap. should I get for my GL-1? Tx,
Aren.

Chris Hurd
May 31st, 2002, 08:15 PM
Lots of folks really love the Canon WD-58, less than $200.

Don Palomaki
June 1st, 2002, 05:51 AM
The canon WD58 is a good choice, provids 0.7x coverage, and is good value for the money. The Century Precision Optics offers several adapters/converters that are excellent products and give wider options, but cost a good bit more. Kenko and Sony offer adapters that should work too - I've not read much about them though.

Raynox offers some cheap clip on adapters, around $100 or less. But reports are that the quality is disappointing and they may tend to fall off. Probably best to avoid them if image quality is important to you.

Rik Sanchez
June 5th, 2002, 08:04 PM
We are using a Kenko wide angle adapter on the Gl-1 in a doc we are making. The gl-1 has a 58mm lens thread and the Kenko has a 52mm thread so we have to use a step up adapter. Now we can't go fully wide since the image will vignette at the corners. I don't know if Kenko makes a 58mm wide angles but I recommend paying more for a good quality lens that will not need a step up filter adapter.

The canon WD-58 sounds good, I'm assuming the 58 in the name means it has a 58mm thread. The cameraman using the gl-1 now has to always check the zoom and make sure he doesn't zoom all the way out, too much hassle just to save a few buck

Rik Sanchez
June 5th, 2002, 08:42 PM
This could make a nice new thread, people's expericences in film/video school. People could talk about which are worthwhile and which are BS. Seems like there are tons of schools offering video degrees. I know several people here in Japan who went to those video schools(in Japan). Don't know how much they cost but they are expensive. These kids have all negative experiences from the schools.

Glad to hear you will graduate soon, I'm sure you will learn more once you are your own and away from that school.

George Gerez
June 6th, 2002, 09:35 AM
>>http://www.bwayphoto.com/

Also they are charging allot for shipping the GL-1 to recupe the low cost.. ask them for the shipping and handeling..

Marcus Farrar
June 6th, 2002, 09:45 AM
I would not advise anyone to purchase from this group. If you do end up actually getting a product after the intence over prices sales pitch. It will most likely be a grey market item. You can check these guys out and see their reviews of previous clients is about the same in every case. Poor service, item not in at that price, over priced add ons, ordered and never got item, ect.

What is it with Brooklyn, NY. I know that all businesses in this area are not bad. Be aware there are a lot of scam businesses out of this area. My advice, check the reviews b/4 you purchase from any company. Or as Chris always says, go with the sponsors of this site. You will find that most of the ligit businesses prices are close to the same as there reviews are. The super low prices are usually a scam so be smart when ordering.

Don Palomaki
June 6th, 2002, 03:41 PM
The Kenko FRW-065Pro has 58mm thread mount, is 0.65x. Street price should be about the same as the WD58.

Rik Sanchez
June 6th, 2002, 06:29 PM
I think they bought the kenko at the last minute and took whatever they had in stock and used the adapter ring to make it fit the GL-1.

It's good arenhansen is taking the time to research the products out there and get one that is right for the camera.

Thanks for the info on the kenko, I don't know what model number the one we are using is but it is definetely not the right one for the GL-1, he should have bought the FRW-065 Pro.

Mouse7316
June 8th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Hey, my name is Brandon and im planning on starting school at North Carolina State University next fall and I'm going into media communications and going to minor in film. I have been the president of my high schools film club this past year and we filmed a full length movie we showed to a crowd of 400+ one night at school. A producer at a local news station said it was the best student film he had ever seen. I'm looking to do a lot of filming on Mini DV and I am mainly interested in getting the best cinematic video quality. Im really only interested in filming movies. Im really debating between the Sony TRV900 and Canon GL1. I know they are both exceptional camcorders, but I was just wondering which one would be best for me considering what I want to use it for. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Brandon

Don Palomaki
June 8th, 2002, 10:37 AM
Both can do good. Which does the school's film department rcommend? Check what they are using.

Kyle "Doc" Mitchell
June 11th, 2002, 08:36 AM
Brandon:

At State we're using Canon GL1's and Sony VX2000's for the most part. There still are some AG-456's SVHS stuff too, if you can believe that. I had to shoot a project with one of those 456 puppies last semester. Its a good camera. Footage came out good considering the restraints I was under.

I've been pushing them to buy more miniDV cameras, but we're under a budget crisis right now. Funding has been cut. Our department, like all of the others has been hit hard. Talked to the department head about this stuff and all we can do is shrug our shoulders. Theres not much I can do as a student. Maybe in a couple of years when you're able to get in the production classes things will change.

Basically though, I've recieved a beating because I'm an XL1 fan! Those guys in the department don't care much for Canon (but they like the GL1, go figure). They're really big into Sony products. Oh well. I just shrug and laugh with them about it. Of course, the instructors and techs do more documentary shooting and I'm into narratives . . . its all personal choice. They also laugh and shake their heads when they hear I use Premiere . . . oh well.

This post was to basically answer the good question from Mr. Palomaki. Of course I'm giving you my interpretation of the department recommends.

I still think its cool to find someone going to NCSU on this board, got your email too by the way. I plan on being in Ashville next weekend - June 21st. We can shoot the bull for half an hour or so if you've got time to spare while I'm up there.

Regards,

Kyle "Doc" Mitchell

Barry Goyette
June 11th, 2002, 11:06 AM
I use the canon adaptor WD-58. It allows you the full zoom range and most of the time looks just as sharp as the original lens.(Occasionally you may have to give the autofocus a little help.) It is a little heavy...but that can be plus if you've got a 945 battery on the back, as it helps even out the balance.

StreetShot
June 21st, 2002, 05:56 AM
Greetings....

I'm about to step into the DV world with a GL-1 and wondered what cable I need to connect the GL-1 to my iMac...it has a firewire port so some firewire cable right? Do I need a special data card installed on the iMac or is this already inside...I have FCP 2.0 ready to go. Any help around this would be great, thanks to all, its a very informative forum.

Namaste,

Michael Hintlian

Jenn Kramer
June 21st, 2002, 09:55 AM
You'll need a firewire cable (6 pin [on the iMac] to 4 pin [on the camera], I believe) and that's it. Fire up the camera, and then fire up FCP2 and you should be good to go.

Jim Sauza
June 22nd, 2002, 10:42 AM
Hi Michael
A good ref. would be any of these books

The complete idiot's guide to iMovie 2
iMovie 2 fast & easy
making iMovies
The little iMovie book

Have fun and let us know how your doing

Jim

Chris Hurd
June 22nd, 2002, 05:38 PM
All of the titles Jim mentions above, plus quite a few more, may be found at amazon.com by searching the "Books" section for "iMovie." Hope this helps,

Mr.Cisco
June 23rd, 2002, 03:15 PM
I noticed yesterday on my GL1 that there is a small grey spot/pixel. I shot it against a black background (after cleaning the UV filter & lens) and a red back ground. I also used a head cleaner and tried two different new tapes all with the same results.

My fear was that it was the "dead pixel" disease. However, when I zoom in against a dark background the spot rotates from near the middle of the screen in a counter clockwise fashion right off the screen.

Any ideas on what this is and/or how to fix it?

jeffyr163
June 24th, 2002, 03:09 AM
Hi all,

I just got my GL1 last week. My first 3 chip ! I was excited to get it out and see just how much less noise I would have in available light (low light) situations compared to the old 1 chip camera. Long story short....the auto white balance had a red cast under household tungsten light and the tungsten wb setting was even worse. after I did a custom white it was much better, but my older....much cheaper camcorder produced a better WB under these "common" conditions. I put 2 short clips on a site at http://homepage.mac.com/jeffyr163/iMovieTheater1.html . The first 3 seconds or so is on auto WB and then custom white balance, and then again on another test. Should I bring it to Canon to be checked out already ? I just think it should be giving me a better Auto WB. My wife will be using it as well and she is an "auto" kind of gal....NOT GOOD !

Thanks.

jeffyr

Hagop Matossian
June 24th, 2002, 04:47 AM
i'm no expert but that sounds bad... I wouldnt wait around, take it back to the shop or return it to canon

Jeff Donald
June 24th, 2002, 06:05 AM
The warm tones in the test footage are not objectionable to me. The color of the cabnets in the scene are producing "local color" and a natural, warm tone look. What types of lights are used in the kitchen? You can not have mixed light sources ( tungstin and flourescent) in a scene and get 100% accurate auto white balance. However, for your own peace of mind you might want to call Canon and see what they have to say.

Jeff