View Full Version : GL / XM assorted posts, 2003

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17

Richard Tamayo
October 8th, 2003, 08:03 PM
Can anyone tell me how to use the rosco book,I am new to this obviously as you can tell.Any pointers would be appreciated.

Barry Goyette
October 8th, 2003, 10:23 PM
This is one that can't be easily answered in a forum, as the uses of the rosco filter line are so broad. If you have a few hours, or days...you will be able to read about virtually every filter in rosco's line at their website

http://www.rosco.com/main.html

click on the guide to color filters which will give you a pdf that has a lot of quick data...although it is skewed more toward theatrical users....or...

click on the technotes section to be overwhelmed by the amount of information that they have made available to the industry about their products. Don't be too freaked out about what's there, most of us would never use even 10% of the filters that they offer, nor understand most of the data associated with it...the ones to be concerned with on a technical level are the light balancing filters CTO, CTB, FLD etc and the diffusion materials, these are the most standard materials that many photographers, cinematographers and grips can recite off the top of their heads...the bulk of the rest are primarily special effect color filters that....well...if its a red filter...it will make your light turn red...if its purple...it will make your light more purple....straw...straw...and so on.

Welcome to the world of light control....you'll never be satisfied with "natural" light again.

Barry

Bakari Chavanu
October 9th, 2003, 03:30 PM
I have quite a few books on videography, but I have to be honest in saying that none of them have been as good as the two instructional videos I ordered from www.elitevideo.com. They're titled Advanced Broadcasters Camera Techniques. Don't let broadcasters scare you, the techniques are good for broadcasters, videographers, and home movie makers.

As for the technical side, I would just use the Canon GL2 manual and ask lots of questions on this board. Read the manual from cover to cover and get to know your camera. It's too bad that Canon has not put a instuctional video for using their camera, but the manual is the next best thing in terms of the technical side.

Hope this helps.

Richard Tamayo
October 9th, 2003, 05:11 PM
Thanks Barry,
I will check this out.

Jason Casey
October 13th, 2003, 01:12 PM
Anybody else have the DM-50 and notice that the sound is really "tinny on it?? I just shot a live concert, there was plenty of bass coming through the bands speakers, I shot on the GL2 using the DM-50 in shotgun mode and the resulting sound was relly good, but there was almost no bass at all. It's not a big problem, I can fix it in post, but just wondering if anyone else has noticed this, also would it make a diffrence if I had shot it with one of the 2 stereo modes instead of shotgun??

Donald Bruce
October 13th, 2003, 04:09 PM
I'm going to be videotaping a holiday ball at a hotel in NY during the holidays. I'll be using my newly purchased GL2 to tape the event. My client wants to take a feed from my camera to a projector which will display the camera feed on two large screens at the front of the room. Is it possible to disable the various displays that are on the gl2 viewscreen so they are not projected. I was just editing a small segment on my computer using the gl2 firewire, and accidentally turned on camera rather than play/vcr. I was horrified to see the display from the camera on a tv I use to help me edit. I'd prefer not to have to purchase a video monitor to loop out of since I've already spent a good deal of money on the camera, tripod, and final cut pro editing software. I hope I'm missing pushing a certain menu to disable the display since the camera is new to me.
Thanks

Glenn Miller
October 13th, 2003, 05:24 PM
I have three GL2's for recording indoor music sessions. I can timesynch two of them using the DV CONTROL function (and then disconnect and move the 'slave' GL2 to a different point in the room--still filming, of course), so that the audio is in synch.

But how do I get a THIRD GL2 in synch with the first one? -- without STOPPING the 'master' (putting it out of synch with the FIRST slave)?

If i just plug the DV CONTROL cable into it (without STOP/START on the Master), nothing happens.

(1) if i plug it in and hit START REC on the slave, will it somehow 'get' the timesynch from the master?

(2) would a firewire (passive) hub work as a "splitter", so that i could hook both slaves up at the same time, and start them both with the same 'start' signal from the master?

(3) any OTHER/BETTER ways to do this?

Thanks

Kevin King
October 13th, 2003, 06:16 PM
I'm not sure I'm following you... but...

In the System menu (I think) there is a TV Screen or something to that effect option. Turn this off and it will not display the viewfinder info on the remote screen.

I hook up an ext. monitor all the time. You can have the viewfinder data displayed on that monitor, or turn the data off with just a clean picture. Your choice with this option.

Read the manual.

Don Palomaki
October 13th, 2003, 07:39 PM
Can't speak to the DM-50 specifically, but many moderate priced camcorder mics (e.g., MKE-300, Sony ECM-MS957) have bass roll-off that starts at around 200 Hz.

Jason Casey
October 14th, 2003, 10:58 AM
It's easiest to just do it in post if you have more than 2 cameras. Even easier if you are doing live concerts. Get all 3 cameras rolling, have the drummer hit the snare drum for you, or you can do it yourself with permission. You then have a point to line up all 3 tracks at the snare hit and with a few minor tweeks you should be OK.

Ben Lynn
October 14th, 2003, 12:08 PM
If you do that type of recording more than once in a while you should invest in a 4 input switcher and mix it live. It will save all that syncing in post and cutting.

Ben Lynn

Yow Siang
October 15th, 2003, 06:42 PM
Hi All GL/XM2 users..

is there anyway to use the VL-3 light with a 3rd party shotgun mike on the camera? as a VL-3 needs the shoe ontop of the camera, how would I then be able to fix a shotgun mike then?

any advice?

ys

Ken Tanaka
October 15th, 2003, 07:45 PM
You would have to use a bracket, such as the Mini Rover (http://www.videosmith.com/cgi-local/store/commerce.cgi?product=support&cart_id=) to hold the mic.

Joe Abeleda
October 16th, 2003, 11:00 AM
Hello, i'm looking at a steady cam for my GL2 and seem to have found one at a "decent" price:

http://www.bassonsteady.com.ar/shop/productos.asp?id=1

Anyone have experience or heard of the Basson Steady?

Thoughts?

TIA,

Joe

Rob Lohman
October 16th, 2003, 04:37 PM
It's looking the deal, that's for sure. I can't remember someone
mentioning it here though. It is quite hefty in the price tag, but
then again, so are the glidecams...

October 18th, 2003, 09:31 AM
i dont know if anyones had this problem before or not but maybe 3 times out of 10 when i turn my gl2 on, the viewfinder is completely white... all the menu options and things you would expect to see on the screen are still there but there is no image. once i turn it off and turn it back on again the problem goes away... my only worry is that this might lead to a bigger problem in my camera, has anyone experienced this?

Jeff Donald
October 18th, 2003, 11:06 AM
If it's still under warranty send it in. The performance you're describing is not normal.

October 19th, 2003, 12:00 PM
the canon people were so cool about honoring my warranty despire the fact i had lost the receipt and the people i bought it from (bridgeview photo) are under fbi investigation for fraud and were impossible to contact for another receipt...
the way they handled everything makes me real happy to be a canon owner.

John Dimasi
October 19th, 2003, 09:31 PM
I just purchased in new GL-2 after owning a GL-1 which I purchased in 2000. The
new GL-2 seems like it is made a lot cheaper. First the body seems to be made of a cheaper material than the GL-1. It seems a lot lighter than the GL-1. The "wheels" especially the select and exposure wheels are a joke. Most of the important functions are now menu driven and dependant on this select wheel which requires a sharp finger nail or pen to push on the fly. The main power switch gives you the feel this camera may not even last a year even under gentle treament. The hot shoe has no cover exposing it to all problems. Even the Canon shoulder strap is crap compared to the GL-1 strap. I made sure I looked underneath to make sure the camera was even still produced in Japan. This thing has the look and feel of a product made in China. Canon should be ashamed at selling the GL-2 for GL-1 prices with the build quality drop off that has occured. I guess their service department needs more business which is engineered into this camera.

Ken Tanaka
October 19th, 2003, 11:11 PM
Well, I suppose to each his own (opinion).

I have owned both cameras and did not have any of the reactions that you expressed. (The straps have been identical in nearly every one of the 6 models of Canon video cameras I've owned.) None of the primary controls are difficult to use with some practice and familiarity. (None require a pen.)

But if you're that displeased why don't you just return it and get a different camera that feels better to you?

October 20th, 2003, 05:25 AM
i agree with ken. if anything i feel the gl2 is better made than the gl1... there is definately a difference in body material between the two but unlike john, who is entitled to his opinion, i think the gl2's construction looks and feels more sound than that of the gl1's

Chris Hurd
October 20th, 2003, 03:26 PM
It might be surprising to some GL1 owners that the GL2 is so much comparatively lighter in weight. However, both have a magnesium alloy frame. Despite being consumer products, they'll hold up as long as they're treated with care.

Alfred Tomaszewski
October 20th, 2003, 08:50 PM
i just noticed a blown out pixel on my gl1? any idea on how much to fix it? should i just sell it and buy a new camera? i dont know if anyone would even want a gl1 with a blown pixel, but for my work i can not have it and need to sell it or get it fixed asap.

Chris Hurd
October 20th, 2003, 08:58 PM
Alfred,

Either of the two Canon service centers (see this page for contact info (http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/skinny.php#service)) can repair a hot pixel. They'll give you an estimate, and please let us know what they tell you. Hope this helps,

Graham Bernard
October 21st, 2003, 03:11 AM
Well, we got this manual focus ring. We got Zebra Bars. We got full colour LCDs and Eyepieces . . . why can't we have BnW displays?

I'd find this a real boon to my rubbish focussing . . well I aint that bad . . . but really!

It can't be much more than a switch or Menu thingy? Canon have gone to the whole schmuzzl with zebra bars, this has GOT to be more complex . . . we got 3ccd, we got the 3 colours . . why not make more of what got and have a BnW option too? Do I really have to buy an extra lil BnW Lcd external and connect it through the BNC connector to get BnW? - Well, really Mr. Canon, c'mon1 I tell you what, having this function available would make me more confident about focussing - yeah? If the XM2 has relatively a harder job of low light level hassles, having the focus option the way I describe would make me a better cameraman. I love the XM2 . . please, please, please give the option to go BnW with one of the on board monitors . . pretty please!

. . now someone is gonna tell to RTFM! . . .I don't think so . . if it is in there . . don't I feel the Numbnutz . .

hey ho . . . .

Grazie

Hagop Matossian
October 21st, 2003, 05:05 PM
hiya

Today I decided to test the AV in/out socket on my XM2 by using it as a linear edit deck. i'm putting together a simple promo of a theatre performance, and just need to record some clips from my domestic PAL VHS player onto the XM2. (I will eventually be paying someone to transfer the DV master edit onto NTSC DVD for worry-free playback in the states)

Here's the problem:

When I make all connections etc. and play video from the VCR, the audio comes thru fine but the only video I get is a blank screen. I have also tried connecting TV to the XM2, and get the same problem. Whatever channel is selected on the TV, the audio comes thru fine to the XM2, but no video, only blank screen.

I am using SCART output from TV, and a SCART converter so I can use my A/V cable into XM2. All cables work fine.

strange quirk - audio only comes thru when I connect to RCA (phono) audio outputs from VCR. It does not come thru when I use the scart output socket on VCR, SCART converter.

This leads me to think something is weird with the video signal a PAL VCR sends to the camera from the scart socket. Have tried changing channels etc. on VCR but no luck. Have also tried a different, older VCR, same problems.

I've followed the instructions in the manual TO THE LETTER and still no loooooove....

any suggestions? I really hope my Analog Video input isn't screwed for some reason... this is the 1st time I've tried to use it in the year I've owned the camera. I tried something similar hooking a security camera to an XL1s last year, it worked fine.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions from people who are used to recording analog video etc. I really hope I wont have to resort to editing on VHS cos the resulting DVD will look soooooooooooooooooooooo crappy...

thanks for taking the time to wade thru the above, I hope I was specific enough

Hagop

Federico Dib
October 21st, 2003, 07:22 PM
Are you using the SCART adapter that came with the camera?

The one that comes with the camera only works one way IN from RCA - OUT to SCART. (At least in my case).

In electronic shops they sale RCA to SCART adapters that have a switch IN/OUT that changes the flow of the signal.

That solved me the same problem, and I few others I know too.

Marko Zorec
October 22nd, 2003, 03:32 AM
Hello.

I am working with my GL2. I like the frame mode very much so I never shot in a normal mode.

My question is: Is frame mode on a GL2 close to the dvx100? I mean - I like cinematic, artistic look. I also know that in this case Pan is better, but if I put for example Magic bullet plugin on a footage taken with GL2, recorded in very good conditions with good light, camera movement, small depth of field etc.?

I have read that Mr.Barry Goyette have the both of these models...

Thanx...

Marko Zorec

Frank Granovski
October 22nd, 2003, 03:37 AM
Is frame mode on a GL2 close to the dvx100?It would be close to the DVX's 30P mode, but not as sharp.

Sharon Brown
October 22nd, 2003, 08:49 AM
Could anyone give me any info on why I cannot get sound from my GL-1? I have followed directions in the manual and I still can't get sound - even when transferred to NLE - no sound. Please help. The same problem with 2 of my cameras.

Mark Newhouse
October 22nd, 2003, 09:34 AM
Sharon:

When you play the tape in VCR mode, can you hear anything through headphones or speakers on any of you cameras?

If you are using the same cable when trying to transfer to your NLE, and multiple cameras are not getting sound, I'd suspect the cable rather than the cameras.

Finally - I had a similar situation that was driving me nuts when I finally realized I had plugged things into the wrong holes! It's probably not the case, but you might want to double check for user error just in case...

Kevin King
October 23rd, 2003, 01:48 PM
Sometimes it would be nice to TEMPORARILY remove the protective rubber strips on the rear and side of the gl2 when attatching accessories during the shoot - such as monitor out, headphones, microphone, ect.

Right now I just leave the rubber cap flopping - but along with a strap of some sort, a hanging lense cap, and my hand in the jumble somplace - it's just gotta go.

I pulled on them once and wiggled them around, thinking maybe they were just held in by a nub inside the hole and would just cleanly pop out, then I can force the nub back into the hole after the shoot to re-attatch. Well, they weren't budging. I felt I was about to break the rubber connecting tie, so I let it be.

Has anyone gotten these things off their camrea by some non-destructive means? I want em' off, but I want to put them back on too for that day I'm shooting in a dust storm on the beach. ;-)

Graham Bernard
October 23rd, 2003, 02:28 PM
. . yeah, Form over Function . . can help on the Lens cap thing though. Look on the rear of the lens cap itself. You will see a clip - yeah? I slip this "through" the first loop on the Velcro Hand strao - neat eh?

But the rubber cover thing . . yup... agree with you . . not thought through. Removal is a one way surgical option . . nah! Not good design at all . .

Grazie

Sharon Brown
October 23rd, 2003, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. It's the strangest thing - I've checked everything and it appears that all is correctly connected. I can get no sound at all, even with headphones. However, when I plug the firewire into another camera, the sound works fine. I have 4 cameras, two with no sound. I'm baffled.

Tim Frank
October 23rd, 2003, 06:42 PM
Does anybody have some GL2 footage I could see...I really only want about 5-10 seconds but I'm trying to use it to compare camcorders since no shops near me have a GL2 to look at. If possible do you have any uncompressed footage that's short? I've noticed that most picture quality looks about the same if its converted to wmv which seems to be the new standard in showing movie clips now (at least it is for my friends and others I know)! Thanks a BUNCH!!

Tim

Joel Ruggiero
October 23rd, 2003, 06:59 PM
I dont know if there is a MAC store near you but the one buy be carrys gl2's I never knew it till i went in there. just trying to help

Rob Easler
October 23rd, 2003, 08:18 PM
If you send me an email address I'll email you some raw full size clips. If you dont have a fast connection however nevermind.

Don Palomaki
October 24th, 2003, 04:40 AM
Please give a very detailed statement of what you have recorded, how it was recorded (including connectiosn and settings), and how you are trying to play it back.

Hagop Matossian
October 25th, 2003, 02:47 PM
That sounds like the stroke of genius I was looking for. I always forget those converters only work one way.

will try n buy a switching one at my local shop. thanks for the tip!

Hagop

Phil Goble
October 25th, 2003, 07:34 PM
The onboard microphone on my GL2 recently was dropped onto a solid rock surface from about four feet. As you might imagine, the rock won the battle. The microphone surface is damaged and the only thing it will pick up is wind noise. Not your optimal recording scenario.

I can obviously send it into service, but was also thinking of buying a DM-50 microphone, which is probably cheaper than getting it fixed.

There aren't any local dealers that sell the microphone. I hate to buy it unless I know it will work. Should it function even though the onboard microphone doesn't?

Everything else seems to be working with no problem.

Chris Hurd
October 25th, 2003, 07:53 PM
Phil

The only question is, did the accessory shoe mount on top of the built-in mic suffer any damage and does it still work? Without a trip to the service center, the only way to really find out is to plug in the DM-50 mic and find out. Or plug in a VL-3 onboard light, it's only $50 and very handy. If the hot shoe electrical connections aren't damaged, then the DM-50 should work well for you, barring any other internal damage. I recommend you get the cam to a service center anyway as soon as it's convenient for you. Hope this helps,

Erwin Kolman
October 27th, 2003, 01:40 AM
Hello, I just have my me66 for my xm2
Have anyone a picture, so that I can see how to attach the mic without using the acc shoe

Thanks Erwin
ebfkolman@home.nl

Herm Stork
October 29th, 2003, 04:48 PM
A few weeks ago I was shooting a wedding when all of a sudden I lost all control of my GL-2...the zoom would not work, pause/run did not work. The viewfinder indicated 'rec." but the counter was not moving. I saw that the cassette was moving but wasn't sure what (if anything) was being recorded. I tried powering down and then powering back up but same result. Finally, I removed the battery - re-installed the battery and everything went back to normal.

Later on I viewed the tape and it was recording OK during this 'frozen' period. My question - has this happened to anyone else? I have used the camera since then with no problems. After I finished with the tape I re-recorded over the section where the camera froze and it was fine so It wasn't the tape. Any thought on what happened would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Herm Stork
herm@videoworks.biz

Alan McCormick
October 30th, 2003, 03:47 AM
Herm,

I had the exact same problem, thought it was the battery, changed it but nothing happened. Reverted back to the half used battery and all was well again, I put this down to me being a newbie at the time.

Maybe not???

Kelvin Kelm
November 3rd, 2003, 03:05 PM
Has anyone received their rebate check from Canon? How long did it take?

Robert Butler
November 3rd, 2003, 03:52 PM
So... what's a custom key? I just purchased a GL2, and the answer eludes me. The manual tells me how to use this feature, but it doesn't tell me what the feature IS! I'm assuming that it's just a quick trick button for certain settings, such as turning the zebra stripes on and off without going through the menus, but I'd like somebody to clear it up for me once and for all. Thanks.

Rob Wilson
November 3rd, 2003, 03:55 PM
Robert,

Exactly! Don't you love it when instructions almost make sense! It's a user programmable button that you can assign anyone of several functions to. Just a easy way to turn on/off a particular feature without having to scroll through a bunch of menu.

Graham Bernard
November 3rd, 2003, 04:35 PM
. . oh yes! The Manual should have come with its own CP key explaining this valuable function. Something along the lines of:

"You wanna film inside a church where you have mixed lighthing and you've been filming on AUTO externally, then this is what your could select, . . . . . . and then assign this to a . . . .

Yeah, drove me mad for some months, I can tell you!!!

Grazie

Michael Sibbernsen
November 4th, 2003, 12:59 AM
Just got mine today. Took almost exactly 8 weeks from the day it was sent in.

MS

Gabriel_Knight
November 4th, 2003, 04:04 AM
Hi,

When I started filming voor the first 10 times I first got a "movie" with the words Canon in my viewfinder/ LCD screen.
After +- 10 times using it, the "canon movie" disapears. I now only see a black/gray screen for a few seconds, and than I can get start filming.

Resetting the camera does help, but how can I always see this movie instead of resetting the camera.

Gabriel