XL1S discontinued?! Guess why... ;) - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old July 1st, 2004, 10:39 AM   #181
Major Player

Now, I haven't had a chance to visit much lately, but when I saw this thread and another suggesting people visit the Canon history site and look for historic trends in annoucemnets of major technology, it was fairly clear to me what was likely to happen.

Of course this is just my interpretation of Chris' input. He has to walk a fine line and he has.

There may or may not be an XL1s replacement announced at DV Expo. You didn't hear it here, but you can certainly glean enough from these discussions to make an informed guess on your own, which is all you can really do.

Of course, like last year when I was supposed to be on a Canon round table discussion of digital film making, I have to bow out of the DV Expo again this year due to shooting conflicts. The shame is I'll be shooting a project at Yankee stadium.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2004, 10:45 AM   #182

Hey Jim,

You'll be in NYC? I too will be in the Canon booth with Monsieur Hurd during the day. Sounds like you will be a busy guy, but perhaps you could find enough time one night to get together for a round and say hello?

Lemme know,

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2004, 11:03 AM   #183
Major Player

Hey Don....I was really hoping to be at DV this year, specifically to meet up with you and Chris and some others. Unfortunatley there's a lot of critical deadline junk going on and we're under construuction of the new studios and facilities at the farm (we've sold the downtown building and everything is moving to a new private 200 acre post and beam facilty with soundstage, recording, design and media studios).

It'a a drag missing the Expo because it's so close, and I never get to go to the fun shows...maybe I need to get affiliated with Canon like you two and then I could make it a nescessity...I'd like to be there for the announcement they're not going to make <g>.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2004, 11:17 AM   #184
Obstreperous Rex

Sorry we're going to miss you there, Jim... would've been great to see you...

<< He has to walk a fine line >>

As I write this, I've got a live version of "Tightrope" by Stevie Ray Vaughn blastin' on the system.

Expecting a knock on the door from the lawyers any minute...

;-)

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2004, 11:30 AM   #185
Major Player

The new cam will be much better, of course. The question is, is it HDV? Or (miracle of miracles) an even less-compressed version of HD?

But I'm also thinking a 4995 or higher price tag.

Also I think Sony and Panny are warming up in the bullpen.
Old July 1st, 2004, 04:38 PM   #186
Major Player

"I've got a live version of "Tightrope" by Stevie Ray Vaughn blastin' on the system"

Not only fitting...but a great choice.
Glad to see it's not just cameras that you have good taste in Chris!
:)

-Luis
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2004, 07:46 PM   #187
Regular Crew

Looks like Amazon.com is selling the XL1s for $3500. Could be a sign. Like Chris says, look at history.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005NKXS/qid=1088732515/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1_etk-electronics/102-8080454-0064154?v=glance&s=photo&n=172282
Daniel Broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2004, 08:54 PM   #188
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Daniel Broadway : Looks like Amazon.com is selling the XL1s for $3500. -->>>

Daniel,

I paid $3,039 (net) for my brand new XL1S when I bought mine a month and a half ago from B&H Photo (a forum sponsor).

If the price continues to rise it just makes me feel even better about deciding to buy when I did, rather than wait six months or so???

Maybe THAT'S a sign too??? ;o)

== Ed ==
Ed Baatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2004, 09:38 PM   #189
Regular Crew

Oh, I see Ed. I was under the assumtion that the XL1s retailed for $4000. However, I never really did any research. I should be ashamed. Ha ha.
Daniel Broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2004, 02:05 AM   #190

. . . wait, I don't get it, I . . . .

HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!
Laurence Maher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2004, 07:41 AM   #191
Regular Crew

Well, I got it! Literally... ;o)

Anyone who is willing to wait for the "new" XL will surely be thrilled when they do actually get it... But after much thought, I decided to take advantage of the $500 rebate and buy my XL1S before the rebate expired (as of 2-days ago).

One of the main reasons for my decision to buy my XL1S 45-days ago --- in light of the widespread speculation about a wondrous, NEW model "soon to be released"--- was Chris Hurd's sage advice: " If you have something to shoot now, then *now* is always the best time to buy."

That plus his observation that historically there has been a considerable time lag between the announcements of new models and actual availability...

However, perhaps the most compelling reason for my decision was the price that I paid for my XL1S after the $500 rebate (almost $1,700 less than the MSRP of $4700).

Finally, I took into consideration that it is likely that the new, improved Canon XL model will cost considerably more.

Having said that, I am hopeful that after the next generation of the Canon XL is released --- it will be possible for me to use it along with my XL1S --- sharing accessories etc. But, I'll just have to wait and see about that...

In the meantime, I'm capturing great video NOW, and not waiting with bated breath. {grin}

== Ed ==
Ed Baatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2004, 08:29 AM   #192
Obstreperous Rex

Very smart, Ed -- that was definitely the right thing to do! Of course you can always "change up" later on. This is a fairly heartburn-free process if you save all of the original boxes and packing material, etc. for your cameras. When it comes time to sell or auction your cameras, they will always bring a better price if you have the original packaging and have taken excellent care of your gear. A gently-used XL1S will hold its value well, because once a replacement for it eventually starts to ship, there will be a whole crop of prospective used-camera buyers counting on folks like you to upgrade, so they can pick up an XL1S. It's a trickle-down theory and it really works.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2004, 08:56 AM   #193

Agreed. Now is definitely the best time to pick up a new XL1S with a two (2) year Parts & Labor warranty at the most affordable price ever.

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2004, 02:23 PM   #194
Major Player

Of course, if you are buying NOW then you should have gotten a dvx100a.
Old July 2nd, 2004, 02:26 PM   #195
DVX User

<<<-- Originally posted by Michael Struthers : Of course, if you are buying NOW then you should have gotten a dvx100a. -->>>

True enough.. there is no real reason to buy the XL1s anymore, sure you can change lenses but the CCDS are getting really old.. almost 20% less than a DVX.

I guess price is a factor, 500 bucks less makes a big difference.
Jarred Land is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51