DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Avid Editing Family (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avid-editing-family/)
-   -   Avid / Pinnacle discussions from 2004 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avid-editing-family/12269-avid-pinnacle-discussions-2004-a.html)

John Lee July 20th, 2003 07:05 PM

Avid / Pinnacle discussions from 2004

I recently got a copy of AVID Xpress DV 3.5 and I've had some trouble importing video from my GL2. Everything works fine, except that AVID is about 1.5-2 seconds behind in capturing the video. The result is, that once the camera comes to the end of a clip, the last 1 - 2 seconds gets cut off in AVID. Now, I can shoot around this without any difficulty in the future, but is there anyway I can correct the problem in order to capture the full clips that I have already shot?

I don't seem to have any trouble importing them in Vegas, but I would much rather learn how to get over this issue within AVID.

Alex Dunn August 25th, 2003 02:58 PM

I'm surprised no one responded to this. Let me know if you ever get one.

Ronnie Grahn August 25th, 2003 04:33 PM

Haven't had this happened to me yet.
What camera template do you use?

John Kennedy December 22nd, 2003 04:53 PM

Avid?

I don't see a lot of discussion on Avid xpress or Pro.. just wondering what folks think. I'm currently pondering the advantages of Avid Xpress Pro on a dual processor PC or Final Cut on a G5.

Thoughts?

Jeff Donald December 22nd, 2003 11:10 PM

What type of work would you be editing with Avid or FCP?

Martin Garrison December 22nd, 2003 11:25 PM

Now that the software is about the same price, it's going to be a really tough decision.

If you are into building your own computer or will trust an "unqualified"(by avid) PC, you can probably save money by going the PC/Avid Route. If you're going to by the recommended HP Dual Proc system, then the cost is pretty close to the same, maybe even leaning toward the Mac.

Both are great pieces of software. If you aren't already familiar with one or the other, then FCP is probably a better written app. Personally, I've spent so much time on Avid, I have a hard time being as productive on anything else. I've only briefly played with the latest FCP, but I was impressed with FCP 3 when I worked with it. Even a version ago it had a few advantages over Xpress. Media management and long form project organization still go to the Avid. BUT, if you want an all in one software the compositing/FX on Final Cut are better than on Avid. If you are a After Effects wiz, that may not matter.

My $.02, good luck.

Jonathan Stanley January 11th, 2004 04:48 PM

Avid and Matrox?

Hey guys,

I am currently running a Matrox RTX100 card with adobe premiere 6.5, but i have a chance to upgrade to Avid Xpress Pro. Two questions:

1) Does anyone know if the RTX100 card is compatible with Avid Xpress Pro

2) I could also get the Adobe Standard Video collection. Thoughts on wheter to move to avid or stay with adobe.

Zack Birlew January 11th, 2004 09:19 PM

I'm not 100% sure, but I am 99% sure, that the Matrox RTX100 doesn't support AVID or vice versa. AVID Xpress is only improved with the AVID MOJO device. Same goes for the Canopus DVStorm 2, it doesn't support AVID either [still applying 99% sure accuracy by the way, I could be wrong]. So if you want to upgrade, then definitely get the MOJO or go for the latest Adobe DV collection.

Jonathan Stanley January 11th, 2004 10:36 PM

Thus far after a little online researching, i believe that you are correct jack. I cannot find anywhere that mentions both in the same sentence.

As much as i would like experience on avid, another 1500 for the mojo accelerator seems to be too much for me. any other opinions, especially on avid versus the video collection?

Scott Osborne January 12th, 2004 07:45 PM

heres an option......why not upgrade to premiere pro and download the drivers designed to work with the matrox from www.matrox.com . i suggest this because you have already invested the money into the rtx..which is an excellent product. if you switch to avid you WILL NOT be able to use your rtx. also crossgrading to the avid system you will have to learn a different interface and system of control. many of premieres downfalls and consumer like features have been addressed in in ppro. i hate to sound like a matrox employee but i hate to see people toss money away trying to correct problems. i understand the distaste for premiere as 6.5 wasnt ery good but i think you will be plesntly supprised by ppro.

hope this is useful.

btw i apoligize for the lack of capitalization as i am having a problem wit may usb kvm and for some reason my shift keys dont work....if anyone have answers please email me

Glenn Chan January 13th, 2004 06:54 AM

You could try the demo first to see if it doesn't crash your system. The Adobe forums has lots of reports of bugs so you could try crashing your own system with what they say not to do.

Scott Osborne January 13th, 2004 03:39 PM

You may not be able to install the RTX100 drivers with the demo version. Try the Matrox forums to find out if they will install and not cause stability issues. Also check out matroxs site. You can upgrade to the Adobe suite for about $200 I believe. Makes more sense than spending $3k on Xpress Pro and a Mojo....If you like Premiere Pro that is. Also checkout www.digitalvideoediting.com or even www.videoguys.com for reviews on both products. Maybe the reviewers touched on a point of a product that interests you.

IMO Avid is the ideal product if you already have experiance with Avid, Or have the need to work with a higher end Avid product such as Composer or Symphony. I know a couple of people who use Xpress Pro to work with Offline files at home or on there laptop and then do there final editing on a Media Composer.

I have worked with both products and I prefer Premiere Pro. Maybe because I was trained on a Premiere 4.x machine and I have stuck with it ever since. As not to further confuse you, you may also want to look at Sony Vegas as its a fairly well priced alternative. There are some rumors about Sony releasing hardware acceleration for it soon.

Maybe if you list some of the things that you are specifically looking for some other might be able to give you more specific answers.......And ofcourse there are demos availiable for just about everything. I wouldn't suggest you buy something until you actually try to edit something with it.

Hope this helps

Mike Cavanaugh January 16th, 2004 08:15 AM

Upstate NY Pinnacle Liquid Edition users

Anybody using Pinnacle Liquid Edition in the Albany NY area? I'd like to compare notes.

Hamad Abdulla January 20th, 2004 02:07 AM

Questions about Pinnacle Liquid Purple

I have a Pinnacle Liquid Purple Editing system... To be honest I have had a difficult time trying to master this editing system... Unlike other editing softwares and programs, they are much easier to understand and run than Pinnacle Liquid...

Also Pinnacle's Manual is very complicated and I'm having personally a hard time trying to understand it, so is it just me or are there others around the world having similar problems with Pinnacle Liquid's Purple Edition, and is there anybody out there who knows anything about this editing system??

Emmet Lucey January 20th, 2004 03:31 AM

Hi Hamad -

I am editing on Liquid Edition 5.5 & almost the only good resource is online at the user forums in the pinnacle support section. I don't know the differences between Purple and 5.5 but you might pick up some good ideas from the online streaming tutorials, also in support.

Good luck!