C100 Ninja vs Internal test 1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old December 8th, 2012, 11:53 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: C100 Ninja vs Internal test 1

Very interesting and useful. Thanks for the heads up Matt!
Old December 14th, 2012, 12:05 PM   #17
Trustee

Update: just tried the 'trees in wind' torture test on C100.

For an inter-frame (e.g. Long-GoP) codec, this is horrible: unpredictable motion, every part of the screen contains motion, lots of edges. We'd expect any Long-GoP codec to fall apart here.

However, my first pass at this test is that the Canon's AVCHD isn't quite as robust as the FS100.

Doing simple pan tests is one thing - and in most cases this is the sort of pixel torture we experience with cameras - pixels become blurred, motion is constant and going in a predictable vector. So, the sort of run-of-the-mill motion we get is handled well by the internal codec of both the FS100 and the C100.

However, the 'trees' test is awful. Unpredictable vectors, lots of edges, etc - nightmare.

The FS100 does do a fair job of this - if you pixel peep, you're going to see some mess, but it's fairly innocuous - the eye is very forgiving of it when you play back in real time.

However - and these are preliminary results and just FYI - I'm seeing big huge gobs of nasty artifacts which include partially interlaced mouse-teeth on the C100 footage. Okay, so an ordinary, sane, well balanced human would have a hard time seeing it, but I can - and obsess about such things.

Seriously, the difference between this and the FS100 is enough for me to use an external recorder for anything that features dust, smoke, water, extreme action, big crowds and detailed external wides. Will so a side by side when I'm done with the next assignment.
Attached Thumbnails
C100 Ninja vs Internal test 1-motionartifacts.jpg  
Old December 15th, 2012, 12:08 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Grant View Post
So, you guys are really telling me you see a difference there? The shots look good but, I can see no difference at all. I downloaded the raw and still don't see it.
No different at all.
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2013, 04:05 PM   #19
Tourist

I rented the Canon XF300, which has the broadcast 50Mbps and 4:2:2, and the C100 with internal AVCHD and compared them. So pixelwise things may not be 100%, but boy is the image way better. So what's the argument all about? Image character or quality?
Paul Delcour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 10:57 AM   #20
Major Player

Paul, just finding this thread. It wasn't clear from your post that you thought the xf300 was better or not from the C100 with the external. I would assume the xf300 was better. Thoughts?
Al Bergstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 11:01 PM   #21
Regular Crew

The ladies' sweater is more red with the Ninja. This is also compressed. I'm drinking a good Merlot but I'm sure the sweater is more red. With the Ninja she looks more intelligent, less threatening, more of the marrying kind but with the internal... she may be a husband killer. I would watch out. I wouldn't marry this women quite yet. Perhaps another camera might help explain this mysterious aura better-
Bill Scherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 09:25 AM   #22
Regular Crew

I have done some tests with the C100 and the Ninja 2 myself. In most shots I see a small improvement on the Ninja footage, even before grading.

As an example see the attached crops (straight from camera). Somewhat underexposed because the rest of the frame was a bright window.
The C100 seems to do some noise reduction here on the AVCHD, probably because 24 mbit/s can't handle the noise.
Attached Thumbnails
C100 Ninja vs Internal test 1-avchd_crop.tif   C100 Ninja vs Internal test 1-ninja2_crop.tif  

Last edited by Winfried Dobbe; September 4th, 2013 at 09:28 AM. Reason: attachments missing ??
Winfried Dobbe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems