REVISED v.2.0.4 -- Canon 5D Mark II 2.0.4 Firmware (24p) Available - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 22nd, 2010, 10:05 AM   #76
Major Player

133X is now too slow

Well, I can report that my Kingston 32GB 133x cards I've been using since day one are no longer able to keep up. My guess is it's because of the uptick in data rate with the new firmware. To save $ I went with slower cards and never had any problems. I compared them head to head with UDMA and saw no difference in image quality at all - though obviously a big difference in speed.

But now after seeing the buffer fill up completely and an instant later have the camera stop recording, I'm retiring the 133x cards and moving up to 300X. Can't complain about this amazing firmware though.
Old March 22nd, 2010, 10:16 AM   #77
Trustee

Erik, one of my cards is a Kingston 16GB 133X and I've not noticed any difference before or after the firmware update in terms of CF performance. My 32GB cards are mainly 400X Transcend CF, but even though they are of course faster speeds I've not noticed any problems in 5D performance swapping and changing with the Kingston.
Old March 22nd, 2010, 11:02 AM   #78
Major Player

We had cameras fill the buffer and stop recording several times yesterday, first shoot with the new firmware, having never had a problem before on our seven 133x cards. We shot for hours and really gave the cards a workout, and they failed too often. These are no longer an acceptable speed for the 5D IMO.
Old March 22nd, 2010, 11:47 AM   #79
Major Player

That's strange; everything works fine with my 16 gigabyte, 133x Transcend cards...
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 11:30 PM   #80
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc De Wandel View Post
That's strange; everything works fine with my 16 gigabyte, 133x Transcend cards...
I just filled two 16GB 133x Transcend cards with video yesterday & they worked fine too.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 05:57 AM   #81
Regular Crew

Erik.

I updated my 5D yesterday and tried with my Kingston 16GB 133x.

No problems detected, I recorded a 7 minute video with no interruption.

Tomeu Santandreu
Tomeu Santandreu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2010, 11:19 AM   #82
Regular Crew

Erik

I have a 16 Gb Kingston elite pro 133x, that after the firmware update, start to have the same problem. it only stops once after the buffer filled up, and i got many freeze frames on the footage.
Pedro Martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2010, 11:43 AM   #83
Major Player

Wow freeze frames. We haven't had that yet, but continue to suffer from the buffer rapidly filling up and stopping the recording. It's just an occasional occurrence, but often enough to be dangerous!
Old April 14th, 2010, 01:33 AM   #84
Regular Crew

Hi guys!

I heve noticed the problem too with my Kingston 16gb 133x.

The video stopped after a few seconds of recording (3 or 4 seconds).

But with the same card Im able to record longer videos (even 7 minutes).

I think is a random problem if was due to the buffer you wouldn't be able to record longer videos.

I remember another problem it ocurred me once was with 1.1.0 fimrware. When testing ISO 12800 I got missing frames during a pan
Tomeu Santandreu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2010, 12:19 AM   #85
Regular Crew

Ok,

I just did the update to 2.0.7 on my cinematographers camera and we were doing some test shoots. It seems that everything works fine except I am a little confused. It seems that when we go into movie mode and set it up to record in 1920(24fps), the shutter speed seems to move when we adjust aperture. Are we doing something wrong? I thought that the shutter speed should be set on 24 but it looks like the lowest it will go to is 30.

Can anyone clear this up for me and tell me what I am missing or at least point me in the right direction?

Thanks a ton in advance. I really need to figure this out because I have to shoot this Friday.
Brandon Barnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2010, 07:07 AM   #86
Regular Crew

Are you set to manual? Also you need to set shutter to 1/50.

Visit: Complete Idiot’s Guide to the Canon 5d Mk II; Adobe Premiere Edition (Updated for CS5 and firmware 2.0.7) - Crooked Path Films Blog
Old September 13th, 2010, 04:30 PM   #87
Regular Crew

Richard,

Amazing information. You answered so many of my questions with one foul swoop. Thank you. I do have one more for you though. In your blog, you recommend to shoot 1/50 shutter speed. Will this achieve the 24fps look the best? Also, we shot in the desert all day sunday and I feel like the shutter still moves around every once in a while even though we are in manual and only adjusting stops. Any Ideas?
Brandon Barnard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD