found an inexpensive monitor......finally at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old March 17th, 2010, 08:07 PM   #1
Major Player

found an inexpensive monitor......finally

Somewhere in my search I came across the JAG35 monitor, a 7 inch hdmi input lcd for $249.00. I like it just fine so far.
It would be nice to have a waveform/vectorscope/color peaking/automatic ignition true hd monitor in a small form factor without spending 800 or a thousand bucks. But that product doesn't exist or at least in a lot of looking I haven't found it.
Most of the small monitors are around 800x480, the most expensive are a bit better, and have more features if you want to pay for them.
My big issue was trying to put the camera where my eye can't follow and this is perfect for the job. If I want to check focus or exposure I have other means, if it is real serious I'll use bigger hdsdi monitors.
It looks good enough that I may buy a few more to use with an HDMI splitter for producers, etc. to see.
You may find it for a couple bucks less, but the JAG guy is trying to serve the hdslr community and certainly is not making big bucks reselling these things, so if you are interested he is a good guy to buy from (he is no relation, never met him either).
Delivered in just a couple days too.
And hey - this is just my opinion, don't bust my chops over a pixel or two. It may in reality only resolve 799 lines, it has a plastic case, the instruction manual ain't much, but I like when I feel like I got something more than I paid for. That is rare in this business.
Denis OKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 09:00 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Great info thanks.
Silton Buendia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 11:30 PM   #3
Trustee

Is 800x480 big enough to set focus? You're essentially setting HD focus in SD space.

I've been using a Costco HDTV anywhere I am stationary and have shore power, flying blind when I am mobile. Like you, I've been wishing for a more reasonably priced small monitor, but after seeing that monitor mounted on that box thing, I'm not sure I would consider that "mobile" anyhow. Maybe monitor-less is my future.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 06:48 AM   #4
Major Player

according to the specs it is the same resolution as the well known brands - I would not want to look at that resolution spread over a large screen but for field monitoring it seems fine. When you tap the expanded focus on the Canon focus is easily set. My interest is mainly for framing but the color looks pretty good and with the histogram in live mode thanks to the new firmware I can set exposure properly.
I would have no qualms using this for interviews, tricky framing when I can't see the viewfinder, on a slider or small jib.
The monitor I really wanted cost $2000. So I got this for $249 and have enough left over to get a new Canon 16-35 2.8, a couple filters, a roll of gaffer tape and a cup of coffee.
I'm not going to miss the two grand monitor at all, and six months from now when a new whizbang lcd appears I won't be looking back with regret.
Old March 19th, 2010, 07:35 AM   #5
Regular Crew

thanks for posting this Dennis. In reading other threads others are singing this monitor's praises too. Maybe it won't be as full featured as my Marshall but like so many it doesn't work with a 5D - even with a SDI to hdmi converter (as i discovered only AFTER purchasing - ouch).

anyway, all I need is a good focus check indoors so hoping this one will work...
Old March 19th, 2010, 07:38 AM   #6
Trustee

hey Denis,
is this one blacks out when you start record, and is the picture full size , or just center of the screen?
Old March 19th, 2010, 09:45 AM   #7
Regular Crew

You can find this same exact monitor (it's a rebadged Lilliput 669GL 7" lcd) on ebay for about $209 free shipping from Asia

Lilliput 7" XGA DVI HDMI Car PC Monitor 669GL-70NP/C - eBay (item 260562529597 end time Apr-02-10 08:05:25 PDT)
Allan Tabilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2010, 10:09 AM   #8
Regular Crew

From reading other forums it sounds like there are some issues with using this monitor with a 5D that are minor to some and major to others. Mainly it's that it stretches the image vertically a bit during recording. Sounds like its purely a Canon issue, not the monitor, because the 5d outputs 4;3 ratio during record vs 16x9 in preview and playback mode. Sounds like people either just live with the distortion during recording, focus being their main concern, or they switch to 4;3 mode before hitting record to avoid distortion.

Anyway, all that is second hand so if anyone here with experience actually using this combo can weight in that would be super helpful.

thanks in advance
Old March 19th, 2010, 12:30 PM   #9
Major Player

when you hit the record button the picture goes black for a moment then comes back up as standard definition. Record off and it goes back to full screen.
The info button cycles it from full screen to a slightly smaller display with the viewfinder data to viewfinder with histogram then back to full size.

Playback is full screen.

Switching between the camera lcd and monitor is pretty quick. If you switch the AV switch to a different input the lcd on the camera comes back on - switch the monitor back to HDMI and the camera lcd goes dark.

The grayed out frame boxes on the camera lcd don't show up in the hdmi signal, but the selectable grids in the menu do, but not while recording.

The camera puts out 16x9 most of the time, 4x3 while recording so you get to choose which one to live with ( the monitor does both but no automatic switching).

Most of these limitations are in the way the Canon outputs the video, I don't think you'd see anything different on other models.
Old March 19th, 2010, 07:28 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks Denis, sounds like you have and use and like this monitor; I may have to give it a try :)

thanks again
Old March 20th, 2010, 02:06 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis OKeefe View Post
when you hit the record button the picture goes black for a moment then comes back up as standard definition. Record off and it goes back to full screen.

The camera puts out 16x9 most of the time, 4x3 while recording so you get to choose which one to live with ( the monitor does both but no automatic switching).
Denis, in this situation how do you adjust focus while the recording is running already? Is it possible or the 4x3 does disturb to the extent that you cant adjust focus anymore?
Old March 20th, 2010, 08:22 AM   #12
Major Player

you can focus while viewing 16x9 or 4x3, the picture is usually good enough for that. I think all these monitors perform roughly the same - most on the market are 800x400 screens and the camera outputs are constant. This one does everything I need at a great price, I'm happy with it and recommend it to anyone needing a field monitor.
Old August 25th, 2010, 01:03 PM   #13
Tourist

Hi guys,

I am new to DVinfo.net but I hope there might be someone here who can give me some advice.

I am also looking for a field monitor but I don't want to spend a vast amount of money.

I have seen the following monitors:

ikan VX7 - 7" HD-SDI LCD Monitor

Car Computer - Lilliput 668GL-70NP/H/Y - 7" HDMI field monitor (non-to

http://www.smallhd.com/Products/DP6.html

Obviously the Lilliput on www.carcomputer.co.uk is cheapest. I understand it has the lowest resolution out of the IKAN and SMALLHD selection but that isn't a deal breaker. It also doesn't have all the options to fine tune picture, but I can live without this for the price. But it does come with a sun hood and internal battery included.

I want to know if anyone has had any experience with this 668GL-70NP/H/Y monitor. If anyone can give any feedback on this then I would much appreciate it. I live in Wales so I would get the Lilliput in a few days too.

I look forward to any input or thoughts before I make a decision.

Thanks.

Last edited by Simon Romin; August 26th, 2010 at 07:19 AM.
Simon Romin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 09:41 AM   #14
Major Player

You get what you pay for, but that said I still find the lilliput a great value. I need it mostly for framing where I can't easily use the lcd finder.
This is more or less a disposable item, it has lasted over a year and I am happy with that, but when something newer and better comes along I'll buy it. SO far nothing delivers as much for as little money so I'll stick with the lilliput for the time being.
Old August 26th, 2010, 07:57 PM   #15
Trustee

Here's another (cheaper) interesting option. I don't have any experience with it. But I like the fact that it is basically a remote viewfinder.

Honestly, I'm waiting for Canon to release the 5D MarkIII. I'm guessing that it will have the flip out LCD like on the new 60D.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software