found an inexpensive monitor......finally - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old September 25th, 2010, 05:33 AM   #16
Inner Circle

I just bought one of the Lilliput 669GL9GL-70NP/CH monitors with a battery & stand off eBay direct from Hong Kong for $250 delivered which is about £155. It appears to be identical to the one from Car Computer - Drive the most advanced car on the road. Find cutting-edge electronics for your vehicle but obviously a lot cheaper although I was lucky & didn't get charged any VAT or customs duty although even if I had it would still have been cheaper.

Lilliput 7" 669GL-70NP/CH Monitor 669HB+shoe stand+bat - eBay (item 390225263507 end time Oct-08-10 08:46:49 PDT)

It's a wonderful little monitor for the price. Bright enough for use in sunshine & sharp enough to focus with. It's got a higher resolution than the LCD on my Canon 5DII & the larger size makes it great for playback straight off the camera.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2010, 11:14 AM   #17
Major Player

You all are excellent sales people....just ordered mine this morning. Seems like a no brainer. How long does it take to get to say Tennessee US ya think ;-)

Can't wait to try it out. Any other hook up hardware needed to connect to a Canon 5D Mk2?
Old October 11th, 2010, 01:30 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Tabilas View Post
You can find this same exact monitor (it's a rebadged Lilliput 669GL 7" lcd) on ebay for about $209 free shipping from Asia

Lilliput 7" XGA DVI HDMI Car PC Monitor 669GL-70NP/C - eBay (item 260562529597 end time Apr-02-10 08:05:25 PDT)
You mean about $195? This one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lilliput-7-DVI-H...ht_5648wt_1141
Justin Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2010, 03:46 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Justin, I think that one is the older model whereas the one that I linked to is the one with a brighter screen (250cd/㎡ vs 450cd/㎡ for whatever those numbers are worth:-))

This one definitely is bright & sharp & I was very pleased with my purchase Lilliput 7" 669GL-70NP/CH Monitor 669HB+shoe stand+bat - eBay (item 390225263507 end time Oct-01-10 07:34:28 PDT)
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2010, 05:03 PM   #20
Major Player

Got the monitor today - it looks great and hooked it up to the 5dMk2 and i think it'll really help with focusing live.

The lithium battery and charger was the olny thing that was a little weird. Plugged it in but the instructions (translation) are whack!! The red and green lights are only on the charger not on the battery. it says to turn on the battery and connect and should see the green light to indicate it;s charging, reakon they meant the charger's green light.....but it never turns on = the instructions add a line saying if the green light doesn't turn on then it still may be charging...wondering how i know the battery ever reaches a full charge?

Also having trouble getting the menu to display. It should display if monitor is powered right? even with no inputs?

Hope it's not defective
Old October 16th, 2010, 06:50 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Thinking of the Lilliput 668

Hi all:

For those of you who have purchased the Lilliput 668, has anyone used this monitor with a regular video camera via the component input? I know that the 5D MKII really only outputs 480 while shooting, what about using a video camera that outputs genuine 720 or 1080 while shooting? How does it look? Did it include the sunshade and is it the same one that appears in other threads, it looks to be plastic with padded nylon over it? Mounts with Velcro and straps?

Also, all of the Ebay sites that are linked to in this thread indicate that the short HDMI to monitor is optional? When you purchased your Lilliput from Ebay, assuming your purchased the 668, was the short HDMI cable for hooking up the 5D MKII included?

Has anyone purchased the larger 6800mAh battery? New 12V 6800mAh battery for lilliput 7" 8" 10" Monitor - eBay (item 160485982021 end time Oct-26-10 12:00:25 PDT)
Any feedback on using it? Does it make the monitor too top heavy and ungainly if you Velcro the battery to the back of the monitor?

Sorry for the 20 questions but the Ebay listings are kind of short on these details.

Thanks,

Dan Brockett
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2010, 10:20 PM   #22
Major Player

Dan,

This is the battery I mentioned above. Specs that come with it list capacity as "1800mAh - 9800mAh"

I think velcro to back of the monitor will be ok weight wise. Partially covers up speaker though.

Like i said before - never know when the battery has recharged.
Old October 18th, 2010, 06:34 AM   #23
Major Player

I reckon we're the only two who purcchased this battery if you did. Else just me :-)
Old October 18th, 2010, 08:10 AM   #24
Trustee

Hi Dan,

I just got the 669 HB (high brightness) monitor. I know this is not the same one you are referring, but my understanding is that's the same panel. I took the component input option to use it with my XLH1 as well as my 7D. I also purshased two of those batteries, so might be able to answer your questions.

I decided to go with the 669 since it is a little bit less expensive, and I considered that the internal battery of the 668 with it's low mah rating would not be good enough on the field.

By the way, I bought it from RC-machine.net. You might want to look at this option. the cost was 269$ including shipping from hong kong including:

- The monitor with the component input
- Sunhood
- shoemount
- AC adapter
- 12v adapter
- two 6800 mah batteries
- Charger
- 1.5' HDMI to Mini HDMI cable

A great package. The guy from RC-machine said it would take 2 to 6 weeks to arrive here in Canada. Surprisingly, it took 4 days!

Using components:

On the 669 model I bought, the component input is provided by a breakout cable that connect to a proprietary port on the monitor. The breakout cable usually provide VGA, video 1, video2, mono audio in. When you take the componnent option, the VGA cable is replaced by the 3 component RCA cables.

It work very well! Since I got the XLH1a in 2008, I am using the IKAN V8000 HD monitor. It have the exact same resolution as the lilliput. I was already pleased by the IKAN, and this one work equally great. I think that this resolution is enough on such a small display. The scaller is excellent.

Batteries:

The batteries are surprisingly small and lightweight for an 80 watt unit. A bit lighter than the big Sony camcoders L batteries that I was using to power the IKAN. So yes, you can use them velcroed on the back of the monitor without any problem.

Harry's right, the charger act a bit weird. Right now I am using a multimeter to know when the battery is full charged.

UPDATE ABOUT THE CHARGER:

Harry, the charger is ok. The green light did not lite up because the batteries are shipped full charged. When I plugged a fully discharged battery (that powered the monitor for a little bit more than 8 hours straight), the green light was here.

Last edited by Jean-Philippe Archibald; October 18th, 2010 at 06:45 PM.
Jean-Philippe Archibald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 05:34 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Thanks for the heads-up Jean-Philippe, I appreciate it.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 06:51 PM   #26
Major Player

Thanks Jean-Philippe. Guess a multi meter on my shopping list now ;-)
Old October 26th, 2010, 09:59 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Wow I am looking for something not very expensive for my HVX-200. This looks like the way to go with me - especially with the component inputs.

Are you still pretty happy with it Jean-Philippe?

So did you actually find the sunhood, shoemount and other accessories on the rc-machine.net site as well?
Dale Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 10:27 PM   #28
Regular Crew

hmm.. after reviewing maybe the 668 would be an easier solution for component video in.

Lilliput 668GL,Small HD Field Monitor, 7'' On Camera Field Monitor,Near Field Monitor [Lilliput 668GL-70NP/H/Y]

Unless I am missing something - I do not see a component option for the 669hb. I do find this coollcd site alot easier to navigate
Dale Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2010, 06:38 AM   #29
Trustee

Dale:

Yes, everything came from RC-Machine, but I asked the owner directly to get a price on my custom package. The sunhood is OK, but the velcro system (with some kind of strap that you have to put around the monitor) is impratical. I put a small band of velcro directly on the monitor to facilitate the manipulation on the field. The shoe mount is one of the best I have seen so far.

About the component inputs: Yes, on the 668 they are placed in a more traditionnal place, with BNC plug behind the monitor. The 669 HB dosen't have component in the standard kit. It comes with an HDMI port, and a proprietary port on which you connect a breakout cable (provided) with AV in and VGA in.

BUT, optionnally, you can ask to get another breakout cable with the VGA plug replaced with three RCA cable for the component input. The color scheme is not acurate (yellow, red, white) put it works, and the output of my XLH1a is recognized as 1080i by the monitor (will upload a picture soon).

For me the 669 is better:

1. Cheaper than the 668
2. The internal battery of the 668 might not power the monitor long enough to be practical for me in the field. I prefer to use a bigger external one anyway.
3. I am using mainly HDMI these days since I shoot a lot more with the 7d than the XLH1. in the 669, the HDMI plug is in a recessed position that protect the fragile HDMI cable. on the 668, the placement of the HDMI plug might be prone to some accidents

I am pretty happy with it. Sure, the picture is not as nice as on a Marshall unit or a small HD, or the newer IKAN. But these monitors cost 4 times the price of this one. But the picture is simillar to the one I got from the IKAN from 2 years ago.

Way enough to easily pull the focus, but not enough accurate to perfectly judge the exposure and the white balance.
Old October 28th, 2010, 07:19 AM   #30
Trustee

Ok, for a better understanding of the component input of the Lilliput 669 HB, some pictures.
The image look ugly on the picture, but it is much better in real.
Attached Thumbnails
found an inexpensive monitor......finally-img_7903.jpg   found an inexpensive monitor......finally-img_7904.jpg  

found an inexpensive monitor......finally-img_7905.jpg   found an inexpensive monitor......finally-img_7906.jpg  

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software