Magic Lantern for T2i/550D - Feature Set And User Manual at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old December 14th, 2010, 08:50 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Magic Lantern for T2i/550D - Feature Set And User Manual

Not yet in beta, but getting into the reliable realm. Here is the posted user manual which shows the feature set being worked on. AGC defeat, adjustable zebras, menu control, on screen meters, bitrate control (!), turn off Canon audio filters, selectable audio gain, source select for the L and R channels (including internal mic to the left and external mic jack as a balanced signal to the right - wow!)

550D/UserGuide - Magic Lantern Firmware Wiki
Old December 14th, 2010, 10:17 AM   #2
Major Player

Great news. Time for another donation...
Old December 14th, 2010, 01:15 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Here is a posted sample on Vimeo:

Old December 14th, 2010, 01:31 PM   #4
Major Player

I'm a little confused. I tried Magic Lantern and I flagged my 16GB SDHC Class 6 card as bootable by using bootCF (write labels method), but when I stuck it in my camera it didn't appear to a) do the firmware upgrade or b) allow me to boot off it. Did I miss a step? Or is it a card incompatibility of some sort?
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2010, 02:24 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Did you run it from a command line command prompt? As I understand it, this is required.
Old December 14th, 2010, 02:28 PM   #6
Major Player

Yeah, and it confirmed whether I wanted to write labels, which I accepted. Afterwards I ran the command again and it confirmed the label was there. But when I stuck it in my camera, I couldn't really get anything to happen. I couldn't do a firmware upgrade, and I couldn't boot off it. I had to take out to start my camera again.
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2010, 06:00 PM   #7
New Boot

can't get menu

i copied the ml files to the card. i used bootcf. the cam boots to ml, i see the audio bars at top, other ml info bottom, but i can't get the menu - i press the trash button and nothing happens.

are there detailed install instructions for 109 somewhere?
David A. Ludwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2010, 06:23 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. Ludwig View Post
i copied the ml files to the card. i used bootcf. the cam boots to ml, i see the audio bars at top, other ml info bottom, but i can't get the menu - i press the trash button and nothing happens.are there detailed install instructions for 109 somewhere?
At the top of the magic lantern page linked above: "This version is NOT YET RELEASED, so please DON'T open issues about it." The one you have is very much limited compared to what the demonstrated version will do.
Old December 14th, 2010, 07:46 PM   #9
New Boot

yes, joel, i read that. i was merely asking where you got the install instructions for 1.0.9 that you used. the page i saw had details for 1.0.8 and only a short paragraph above for 1.0.9.
David A. Ludwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2010, 10:01 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Sort of Confused

Hey gang, is there a site with step-by-step instructions for prepping the CF card to be bootable and properly setting up ML? I saw a link before, but can't find it now and all of the wiki manuals, etc aren't clear to me or maybe I'm looking at the wrong stuff.

I tried the first ML (and donated) on the T2i and got it to boot manually, but not automatically so I ditched it. Of course version 1 basically just did audio meters, but this build seems to do pretty much everything. How cool?

I'm excited to give this a shot.

Thanks.
Jeff Krepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 12:21 AM   #11
Major Player

Hi David,

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. Ludwig View Post
yes, joel, i read that. i was merely asking where you got the install instructions for 1.0.9 that you used. the page i saw had details for 1.0.8 and only a short paragraph above for 1.0.9.
Maybe I misunderstood. I just know that the 1.0.9 version has no on-screen menu - everything is done from the config settings before you load the firmware.
Old December 15th, 2010, 12:46 AM   #12
Inner Circle

These are helpful links to T2i, 550D Magic Lantern.

550D - Magic Lantern Firmware Wiki

Using Cards Larger than 4gb - Magic Lantern Firmware Wiki

Magic Lantern for the T2i is changing hourly. I have loaded and successfully used a version which includes the bit rate change capability. My cards are on slower side, so in heavily detailed scenes. It can kill the recording at the higher bit rates.
Old December 15th, 2010, 07:09 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Joel is correct. Craig, are you running 1.0.8 or 9? There is still work being done by a few parties to port all these functions over to 1.0.9.

I am personally waiting until the s/w is ported to 9 and has been reported as stable by a few folks.
Old December 15th, 2010, 09:23 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Maybe waiting for 1.0.9 is a good idea.

In my late night searches I came across a pretty good step-by-step site...though I'll need to figure out a way to make a bootable card on the Mac (or dust off the 8 year old Dell laptop and hope it boots!), but the site below details the steps clearly.

Dangerous Derk Productions | British Independant film makers since 1994

On a side note: I donated to Tramm H last time around but it looks like someone else is doing the T2i work. Do we know if that is the case? I feel like these hacks really allow me to extend the use of this camera into additional paid situations without needing to jump on the next round of Panny/Sony DSLR-based cams, essentially saving thousands... at least for now.

Thanks
Jeff Krepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2010, 08:02 AM   #15
Major Player

Hi Thane,

I am using 1.0.8.
Oddly enough, I used the exact same files and procedures to use on my friends camera and it worked. This time we were using his 8GB SDHC card. I tried my 16GB SDHC card on his camera and it didn't.

Then I tried his 8GB SDHC on my camera and it worked beautifully. So yeah, I guess it's the card. Strange though, I thought it was only 32GB Class 10 cards which were having problems, this one is a class 6 even. I guess I'll just have to buy another SDHC card.
Craig Irving is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD