Magic Lantern for T2i/550D - Feature Set And User Manual - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old December 16th, 2010, 10:46 AM   #16
New Boot

Wow all this new info coming out about ML is making me more excited about holding onto my T2i and not upgrading to the 7d for more money....I have yet to try running it, I have a Mac and am a little confused on how to get the card bootable (16gb SDHC class 6). I have firmware 1.0.8 on my t2i, do you guys recommend updating to the newest firmware and waiting until all the new ML features port over?

Is there any information on step by step how to get ML using a Mac...I guess I have to do more research.
Dave Pierpont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 03:09 PM   #17
Regular Crew

They just released the latest update for the T2i firmware 1.0.9 (ML 0.2.0)

Just installed and everything seems to be working great! It now includes everything that 1.0.8 did, and they say they won't be updating the 1.0.8 branch anymore.
Jackson Hager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #18
Major Player

Magic lantern for 60D?

Are there any hacks planned for the 60D? I'm jealous of these T2i features, especially zebras!

EDIT: just found this:

http://groups.google.com/group/ml-de...ca6b6552775b69

Anyone brave enough to try it?

Last edited by Sam Kanter; December 19th, 2010 at 10:15 PM.
Sam Kanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 10:09 PM   #19
New Boot

Can safely say that I have no experience with any hacks or magic lantern and just followed the instructions that comes with the download and with a MAC have ML up and running on the newest firmware from Canon....pretty sweet so far. 16gb transcend class 6 card...loving the zebras as well as no AGC...still trying to figure out the rack focus stuff....No issues after running it for a few hours....will go out and shoot some stuff tomorrow learn the settings and have the intermediate ISOs which is amazing...just waiting on dialing in white balance via TEMP and it will be complete....hope for no issues of course

I'm wondering why not everybody has done this hack it truly opens the camera up to a entire new level...Maybe I am speaking too soon and it will beat me in the end, but loving it right now and never had any warrenty or canon service plan so we'lll see...60D hack coming soon too

Last edited by Dave Pierpont; December 20th, 2010 at 08:47 AM.
Old December 20th, 2010, 09:46 AM   #20
New Boot

ML Qscale tests these are the data rates that I got after going through he Qscales.... unfortunately the camera would stop recording after only a few seconds at -14 thru -16....I would say its really only safe to record as high as -13 as of now...still testing stuff

-1: 8.8 Mb/s
-2: 9.6 Mb/s
-3: 11.8 Mb/s
-4: 13.9 Mb/s
-5: 15.0 Mb/s
-6: 17.1 Mb/s
-7: 21.0 Mb/s
-8: 24.3 Mb/s
-9: 29.6 Mb/s
-10: 35.3 Mb/s
-11: 42.0 Mb/s
-12: 48.0 Mb/s
-13: 56.3 Mb/s
-14: 64.2 Mb/s (flashes overheating icon and stops recording after 2 seconds)
-15: 67.5 Mb/s (flashes overheating icon and stops recording after 2 seconds)
-16: 86.7 Mb/s (flashes overheating icon and stops recording after 2 seconds)
Old December 20th, 2010, 01:23 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I was reading in the ML manual that you can change the refresh rate for the zebras. Default is 1000 milliseconds. Has anyone tried a faster refresh and noticed any negative side effects (heat, speed, stability, etc)? I'll probably get used to it, it's just weird having ghost zebras after the image moves.

Not that I should be complaining. The fact that there are zebras on the T2i of any kinda in video mode is amazing and a tribute to the ingenuity of the ML folks.
Jackson Hager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 09:11 PM   #22
Major Player

quick question RE ML

ive never used it before, I've read through all the instructions and I'm unsure about one thing.

Do I need to have the ML files on each SD that I use in order to continually use ML?

EG if i install as the instructions specify, the use a fresh SD card that doesnt have ML files, will ML still work?

OR do i have to have the ML files on each SD card,

If its the latter, what happens when I need to format a card? will it not lose all the ML files? or if i only do a low level format will all the ML files in the route folder still be there?

What is the dif between low level format and full format?

Sorry if these are obvious / dumb questions, I've never used ML before, but want to cos it looks great

(manual audio, incremental iso and wb kelvin temps, the 3 things - IMHO - that 550d sorley lacks. the rest of ML features are a bonus.

Thanks in advance

James
James Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 10:06 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Yes. On each card.
Old December 23rd, 2010, 12:05 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Where's the I download?

I want to try Magic Lantern, and I found the download for MLversion 2, and EOS Card.exe but how do I download the update builds? Audio fix, ISO, Kelvin etc.,
The links just keep taking me to htm downloads with dead links on them. Do I need to be registered there or something? thanks
Steve Boutin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 07:45 AM   #25
Trustee

OK, go Magic Lantern installed last night.
Wow, love it.

One question though...
I keep reading posts about adjustable Kelvin Temp, but I don;t see it anywhere in the GUI menus.
Am I missing something?

I have firmware 1.09-ml-2010D, which was from JAN 20th I believe.
Old December 23rd, 2010, 11:20 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Magic Lantern 0.2.0 RC1 for 550D firmware 1.0.9 - Magic Lantern firmware development | Google Groups
Ian Holb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2010, 12:32 PM   #27
Trustee

Ian thanks for the link.

I have a quick question. My camera has been s=locking up here and there using both builds (the original one from the 20th and the latest build from today) on different cards.

Witht he latest update, after I tried to record, the camera instantly stopped with an 07 WARNING, telling me that the camera can't record and to turn off the camera or take out the battery.

I took out the battery and rebooted fine. Then I turned the White Balance back to AUTO and was able to record fine. The problem might have been the WB Tungsten setting. Gonna test a bit further.

If I want to totally remove ML form my camera how do I do so?

I saw the video about making the card non-bootable using software, and am clear on that.
But how to I remove the Bootflag from the camera.

Then I assume I can reinstall the 1.09 Canon Firmware.
Old December 27th, 2010, 03:48 PM   #28
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Strange View Post
quick question RE ML

ive never used it before, I've read through all the instructions and I'm unsure about one thing.

Do I need to have the ML files on each SD that I use in order to continually use ML?

EG if i install as the instructions specify, the use a fresh SD card that doesnt have ML files, will ML still work?

OR do i have to have the ML files on each SD card,

If its the latter, what happens when I need to format a card? will it not lose all the ML files? or if i only do a low level format will all the ML files in the route folder still be there?

What is the dif between low level format and full format?

Sorry if these are obvious / dumb questions, I've never used ML before, but want to cos it looks great

(manual audio, incremental iso and wb kelvin temps, the 3 things - IMHO - that 550d sorley lacks. the rest of ML features are a bonus.

Thanks in advance

James
Just to say in terms of workflow all you need to do is use Erase > All images on card rather than reformatting every time. Keeps all the Magic Lantern stuff in place.
Martin Scanlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2010, 07:01 PM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kanter View Post
Are there any hacks planned for the 60D? I'm jealous of these T2i features, especially zebras!

EDIT: just found this:

patches and early Magic Lantern version to test - Magic Lantern firmware development | Google Groups

Anyone brave enough to try it?
Anyone know if the 60D version will be developed, or is at a standstill because the programmers do not have a 60D? (Maybe 60D users can contribute...)
Sam Kanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2010, 07:10 PM   #30
Trustee

Here's a silly question - does the video actually look any better at the higher bit rates? You'd think it would, but the proof is in the pudding.
John Vincent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD