Video mostly lens? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 10th, 2009, 11:02 AM   #31
Major Player

Thanks for all the posts.

I have 3 weeks to think about what to start with. I will be adding to the collection of lenses as I figure out what I'm doing.
Jason McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 11:02 AM   #32
Major Player

Jon,

I'm not sure I agree with you about the usefulness of the 100mm f2.8 macro on a 7D. Don't forget it ends up being about a 160mm f2.8 lens. In my experience I find a 180mm or 200mm equivalent and a 85 or 100mm equivalent to be more usable focal lengths, these were the old photographic standards for good reason.

Reading down this thread it seems a lot of people are recommending lenses for the 7D based on how they work on the 5DmkII. With the crop factor the whole equation changes and so do my recommendations.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 11:53 AM   #33
Inner Circle

Good point, Dan. Still, a macro would be useful. And the 100mm would give a longer lens, even if it is a tweener, between the typical lengths. Shorter macros are worth considering. I would avoid the 180mm macro though. That would be too big a jump.
Old September 10th, 2009, 11:58 AM   #34
Major Player

And what about Tamron 17-50 2.8 XR Di II LD?
The users reviews are excelent and it`s compatible with APS-c.
Ron
Ron German is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 01:32 PM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron German View Post
Ron

You probably saw this:
FM Reviews - AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF]

I would suggest testing if its adequately sharp wide open through the focal length range. It sounds good.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 01:41 PM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
Having a macro lens is a great idea. You'd be surprised at how limiting the minimum focal distance can be for many lenses.

I use extension tubes on the 135/2 for macros. Works great for occasional shots. The 135/2 is a great lens and has an extra stop. It's as close as one can get to the supertele look without spending the big bucks.
But it is a pretty specialized lens. On a 1.6 crop the 50 1.4 or 85 1.8 might be a better longish fast prime to start. Half the price and a bit faster.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 06:03 PM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
Ron
Ron, always found the Tamron's had slightly rougher and noiser manual focus than the Canons, Nikons, Sigmas or Tokinas. Not much of an issue with stills but a real PITA for video. Would definately check it out before buying, I think given the alternatives I wouldn't bother with it. I have the Tamron 28-300 VC lens and which had OK manual focus, but it could be a lot better.

Lenses for video use have other criteria than what you see in the average lens review, worth bearing in mind when searching for them. Manual focus ability and excessive lens breathing are the most obvious factors, flare handling is also more important for video than stills.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 06:52 PM   #38
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chung View Post
...flare handling is also more important for video than stills...
On the flare handling, stills and video are certainly different.

On photos, I want flare minimized, so that it doesn't lower the contrast of the shot. Because it's stationary, I can't necessarily tell what is flare and what isn't.

On video, if I move the camera, the flare comes and goes. That lets me distinguish the flare from the image.

I think for video, we want pretty flare - nice circles with each reflection in a nice line. For photos, we want flare minimized.

Anyway, that's my theory. As to how the above lenses handle flare, I have no idea!
Old September 10th, 2009, 07:15 PM   #39
Major Player

Thank for your advice, Dan.
Unfortunately I probably won`t be able to test the zoom lens.
I can`t find better option (17-50 / 2.8) for the same price to use with my future 7D.
The main use will be narrative / fiction.
Best wishes
Ron
Ron German is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 10:32 PM   #40
Inner Circle

Quote:
I can`t find better option (17-50 / 2.8) for the same price to use with my future 7D.
The main use will be narrative / fiction.
The nice thing about narrative/fiction is that it's not too hard to provide enough light for an f/2.8 lens. While it's nice to be able to film in natural light or with a few candles, one to three moderate lights will easily get your images out of the noise. In fact, you'll probably want some silks to keep from over lighting.

You wouldn't want to run every f/2.8 lens wide open, but from the reviews I've read, falloff and soft corners aren't too bad with this lens.

On paper, the EF-S 17-50mm f/2.8 IS looks like a great lens for narrative use on the 7D. Let us know how you like it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD