Video mostly lens? at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old September 9th, 2009, 01:46 AM   #1
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Japan
Posts: 295
Video mostly lens?

If buying the new 7D or the Mark2 body, for the purposes of mostly video, which 2 or 3 lenses would be YOUR choice that you have now? Understanding that the 7D can't take full advantage of fullframe glass, would there be any reason to avoid certain more expensive lenses for cheaper glass?
Jason McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 06:03 AM   #2
Trustee
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Little Rock
Posts: 1,383
2 or 3 lenses... Zeiss Contax mount 35/1.4, 50/1.4, 85/1.4, with AF confirm adapters would be a good start.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 08:22 AM   #3
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Japan
Posts: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
2 or 3 lenses... Zeiss Contax mount 35/1.4, 50/1.4, 85/1.4, with AF confirm adapters would be a good start.
Let's say I pre-ordered a 7D body and have 2000USD to work with?
Jason McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 08:47 AM   #4
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Dallas
Posts: 747
I think it depends on what kind of work you shoot, if you have time to change lens then yeah prime is nice, for my line of work, I need low light and flexible so I'm getting the Canon17-55IS 2.8 first, then if I think I can live with shooting video with a still camera (-: and overcome all of its shortcoming, 12minutes max per clip, no articulated lcd, alliasing, then I will get a Tokina 11-16 2.8 for the wide range and the Canon 70-200IS 2.8 for the long range.
__________________
Khoi Pham
www.proeditproductions.com
Khoi Pham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 09:23 AM   #5
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Japan
Posts: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoi Pham View Post
I think it depends on what kind of work you shoot, if you have time to change lens then yeah prime is nice, for my line of work, I need low light and flexible so I'm getting the Canon17-55IS 2.8 first, then if I think I can live with shooting video with a still camera (-: and overcome all of its shortcoming, 12minutes max per clip, no articulated lcd, alliasing, then I will get a Tokina 11-16 2.8 for the wide range and the Canon 70-200IS 2.8 for the long range.
I'm new to video (Not photography) and love what I see as far as walk around capturing the city. I live in Japan where everywhere you turn something interesting is happening.

I'd also like to start doing some bridal work as far as sitting couples down for some one on one time or to create some sort of banquet ceremony video (10 minutes) to enjoy will waiting OR at the end. Starting with friends and possibly working my way up.

Other than that...just JAPAN shots
Jason McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 09:35 AM   #6
Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 4,449
If money is tight, the 28-135 IS lens that is part of the kit is not a bad deal, but it's not wide enough for me. I have a Tamron 17-35 on my 20D which I could use on the 7D. If you do lots of hand held work, you probably want a lens with IS, which the kit lens has. I'm wondering if a person could put a decent wide angle adapter on that lens for wider angle shots. I know life would be much better with the pricier and faster lenses, but you go with what you can afford. I have that cheap f1.8 50mm which feels like a toy but is surprisingly good under most conditions, so cheap isn't always bad.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 09:41 AM   #7
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Japan
Posts: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
If money is tight, the 28-135 IS lens that is part of the kit is not a bad deal, but it's not wide enough for me. I have a Tamron 17-35 on my 20D which I could use on the 7D. If you do lots of hand held work, you probably want a lens with IS, which the kit lens has. I'm wondering if a person could put a decent wide angle adapter on that lens for wider angle shots. I know life would be much better with the pricier and faster lenses, but you go with what you can afford. I have that cheap f1.8 50mm which feels like a toy but is surprisingly good under most conditions, so cheap isn't always bad.
I love my 50mm 1.8 for stills. Great lens. Nikkor glass though.
In a perfect world I'd like a nice prime 1.4, a wide-angle that is fast and a walk around zoom that is fast.
Jason McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 09:48 AM   #8
Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 4,449
I have all my ancient pre-AI Nikkors...24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 105mm, 135mm and 200mm. I would probably have bought an adapter and gone with the 5DMKII if it did 24p.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 10:42 AM   #9
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Beijing
Posts: 665
Jason,

Tough ask, moderate budget, for video only, 7D only, I'd go for a Tokina 11-16mm f2.8, Canon 70-200 f4L IS (or f2.8 version if you need or can afford it), and a Sigma 30mm f1.4 (or Canon 35mm f1.4L or a Canon 50mm f1.2L if funds allow). That would be my personal kit. If you could add an extra lens then I would get a Canon 17-55mm f2.8 IS as well.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 11:00 AM   #10
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 380
Images: 1
I am planning to get the Canon 17-55 2.8IS and the Canon 28 1.8 (as a slightly wider "normal" lens once the crop is factored in) and probably a Canon 50 1.4. I will then see how that goes and work from there. I have some Nikons that I used with my Letus (notably a 50 1.4, 28 2.0, 85 1.4 and 135 2.0) which I will use but I want the Canon lenses for the AF capability for stills shooting. I am going to hold off on the 70-200 for a bit.
Personally (and based on ZERO hands on experience) I think that for video the L series lenses (specifically the 50 1.2, and 85 1.2) are probably overkill. The 1.4 (50) and 1.8 (85) are such highly rated lenses (check out Ken Rockwell's reviews) and I am not sure that in video mode these lenses would be noticeably different to their higher priced L-versions. I think they become more key for stills work.

My two cents.
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 11:11 AM   #11
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Japan
Posts: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chung View Post
Jason,

Tough ask, moderate budget, for video only, 7D only, I'd go for a Tokina 11-16mm f2.8, Canon 70-200 f4L IS (or f2.8 version if you need or can afford it), and a Sigma 30mm f1.4 (or Canon 35mm f1.4L or a Canon 50mm f1.2L if funds allow). That would be my personal kit. If you could add an extra lens then I would get a Canon 17-55mm f2.8 IS as well.

Dan
The Tokina 11-16mm is a yes, for sure.
Why the 70-200 f4L IS?? Just out of curiosity? (For stills I have my D700 and a 70-200 VR...wonderful glass)
The Sigma was something I was looking at but not sure. Would the Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM be better, worse, the same?
And what about the 100mm f/2.8 macro?
Jason McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 11:41 AM   #12
Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 4,449
How much is that Tokina?
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 11:43 AM   #13
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 380
Images: 1
B+H has the Tokina for 599 (out of stock though). Just looked it up. Might be a good buy.
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 11:51 AM   #14
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Japan
Posts: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Eckstein View Post
B+H has the Tokina for 599 (out of stock though). Just looked it up. Might be a good buy.
It's 450 here in Japan and in stock.
Jason McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 12:00 PM   #15
Major Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Beijing
Posts: 665
Jason,

I really like the 70-200 f4L IS, the IS is a very useful thing to have when shooting on a shoulder rig with a long lens. The IS in the f4 lens is about as good as it gets and actually better than the IS in the f2.8 version in my experience. Its also light enough and small enough to carry most of the time, unlike the f2.8. The ideal combo for me would be a 70-200 f4IS and a 135mm f2L, I'd take that over a 70-200 f2.8 IS, but thats me :)

100mm macro, old, new and soon to released IS versions are all stellar IMHO, but not as versatile if you want a 3 lens kit.

I also have a D700, had a 70-200 f2.8VR but actually prefer the 80-200 f2.8 AFS and 80-200 f2.8 AFD as well (don't ask, need to sell one) I'm probably going to pick up the 70-200 VR II when its available. You could use the 70-200 f2.8 VR on the 7D if you get a 16-9.net adapter, would save some cash but not as easy to use as the Canon and no IS.

I don't rate the Canon 28mm f1.8, had 2 and was never really happy with it. I'd take a close look at the Sigma instead, I'd say it was a much sharper lens wide open.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:49 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network