Overheating Warning Icon in mild temperatures - Page 5 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old October 1st, 2009, 09:00 PM   #61
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 380
Images: 1
If, in fact, it runs cooler on a tripod, I think for handheld shooting few people would be doing continuous 30+ minute shots where overheating might be an issue.

Just a thought which might give people a little less concern.
Benjamin Eckstein is offline  
Old October 1st, 2009, 09:03 PM   #62
New Boot
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 7
Not Surprised

I've use the Canon T1i for months now and this is something that I've dealt with when shooting 720 30p outside in the sun for prolonged periods. Shooting at night outdoors has not posed a problem yet though. It is pretty consistent if I keep the LCD on and run around getting clips at an event. Usually works fine for at least 30-45 minutes before I have to let it sit for about 10 minutes. I try to put it in a cool dark place but even if I put it in the bag out of the sun it's usually fine after a few minutes. And the grip does get extremely hot to the touch.

I really think the LCD is a big heat generator as well as the battery itself. I don't mean to discount the processors or the sensor for generating heat though. I have changed the battery while the warning symbol is on and it's hot enough that I can't put it in my pocket until it cools off.

I've been using a production 7D for the last two days and it hasn't happened at all. Although the temperature + humidity here in Florida has dropped tremendously within the last week. I also haven't put the 7D through nearly what I would at a normal event yet though. Colder Climates without as much humidity as we have here in the south are probably in much better shape.

What are the odds that Canon could fix it with a Firmware update? My current solution is to grab the second camera, but that is just a band-aid.

-Michael
Michael Rivera is offline  
Old October 1st, 2009, 09:05 PM   #63
New Boot
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
If it's on a tripod why can't you use the viewfinder?
The mirror is flipped up to expose the sensor while recording video - meaning the viewfinder is blacked out.

-Michael
Michael Rivera is offline  
Old October 1st, 2009, 09:06 PM   #64
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rivera View Post
................
What are the odds that Canon could fix it with a Firmware update? My current solution is to grab the second camera, but that is just a band-aid.

-Michael
Very little. There is no active cooling like a laptop.

Humidity shouldn't be a factor.

The battery grip option might help by moving the battery away from the electronics
Don Miller is offline  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 05:49 AM   #65
Trustee
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Worldwide
Posts: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chung View Post
My finished video done despite the lockups and heat warning is here Shooting China’s 60th anniversary parade with the 7D, 5DmkII and Nikon D700 DSLR News Shooter

Hope I can figure out a work around for this, cool box maybe?? it shouldn't come to that.

Dan
I enjoyed watching your movie clip and time-lapse Dan. Some of the tighter images of slowed-down walk pasts and fly-overs contained some powerful imagery, with great framing of subjects and colour.

I suppose when the D7 stopped working you simply picked up the 5D MK II and continued filming or taking stills with the D700 until the 7D cooled down. But if you ONLY had the 7D with you do you think you would have missed some vital footage? (I think so!).

Have you found any problem mixing the 5D video footage with that of the D7?

Once again, very nice work Dan. Was any of that to be used for the Guardian?
__________________
www.WILDCARP.com
www.NIKON.me.uk
Tony Davies-Patrick is offline  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 06:00 AM   #66
Trustee
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Worldwide
Posts: 1,589
After reading your web page, Dan, I now realise that you probably didn't have quick access to the 5D for use as back-up due to it being clamped to a lampost! :)
__________________
www.WILDCARP.com
www.NIKON.me.uk
Tony Davies-Patrick is offline  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:24 AM   #67
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Rochester, NY usa
Posts: 75
I just placed my 7D on the coffee table and aimed it at the HD TV.

I'm on my 2nd 16GB card. Got 47 minutes on the first card with no more than 2-3 seconds between stop and start.

Shot 1080p at 30 fps with a shutter speed of 60. Used custom settings (mostly -2 or -3 on everything but sharpness which was -1) w/ a Nikon prime lens.

I'm currently into a 2nd card, probably about 1-2 minutes between changes as camera stopped with card full.

Haven't seen any warnings or anything else that shouldn't be there.

I'd take the camera back and exchange it. Most dealers will do that although they probably don't have another to give you.

It's not warm in here, probably around 70 F.

Good Luck.
Jim Froom is offline  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:31 AM   #68
Trustee
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Worldwide
Posts: 1,589
70f is fairly cool for testing for this problem, Jim. I would try the tests again in hotter outdoor conditions to see if the results are the same.
__________________
www.WILDCARP.com
www.NIKON.me.uk
Tony Davies-Patrick is offline  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:33 AM   #69
Obstreperous Rex
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: San Marcos, TX
Posts: 26,900
Images: 513
Once again, based on my tests from yesterday, my take on it is that it seems like an issue only for the 60fps modes (720p60 and 480p60). I didn't see it at 1080p30 or 1080p24, and I pushed it even harder with continuous recording in those modes... still indoors, though.
__________________
CH

Search DV Info Net | DV Info Net Sponsors | A Decade (+5) of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:49 AM   #70
Wizard Status
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Once again, based on my tests from yesterday, my take on it is that it seems like an issue only for the 60fps modes (720p60 and 480p60)
One hypothesis would be that the 60fps mode is working the sensor harder since it is scanning it twice as fast as the 30fps mode. Here is a big question for you folks with a 7D: is the rolling shutter reduced in 60fps mode?
Tramm Hudson is offline  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:50 AM   #71
Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 4,449
Yeah, some outdoor tests would be nice, in a warm place like Austin.
Bill Pryor is offline  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:07 AM   #72
Obstreperous Rex
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: San Marcos, TX
Posts: 26,900
Images: 513
Currently there's a cold front in CenTex (finally). Austin won't go above 82 deg. F. (and yes folks, that is indeed a cold front in this neck of the woods... we had about 60 days of triple-digit temps this summer).

Here's Jon Fairhurst's suggestion for a rolling shutter test:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...g-shutter.html

I've got a busy day in front of me and I doubt I can get to it.
__________________
CH

Search DV Info Net | DV Info Net Sponsors | A Decade (+5) of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:27 AM   #73
Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 4,449
I remember those days in Austin from my deep dark past at UT. I left my last final in mid afternoon wearing a short sleeve shirt and before I was 100 miles north it was 20 degrees and freezing rain. Texas weather.
Bill Pryor is offline  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:48 AM   #74
Trustee
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Worldwide
Posts: 1,589
During one of my trips to Texas there were people actually dying due to the heat (the hottest in 100-years), and I spent most of my time in air-conditioned cars and buildings both day & night. Opening the car door was like being hit by a brick wall!
__________________
www.WILDCARP.com
www.NIKON.me.uk
Tony Davies-Patrick is offline  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:30 PM   #75
Trustee
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: London UK
Posts: 1,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rivera View Post
I've use the Canon T1i for months now and this is something that I've dealt with when shooting 720 30p outside in the sun for prolonged periods. Shooting at night outdoors has not posed a problem yet though. It is pretty consistent if I keep the LCD on and run around getting clips at an event. Usually works fine for at least 30-45 minutes before I have to let it sit for about 10 minutes. I try to put it in a cool dark place but even if I put it in the bag out of the sun it's usually fine after a few minutes. And the grip does get extremely hot to the touch.

I really think the LCD is a big heat generator as well as the battery itself. I don't mean to discount the processors or the sensor for generating heat though. I have changed the battery while the warning symbol is on and it's hot enough that I can't put it in my pocket until it cools off.

I've been using a production 7D for the last two days and it hasn't happened at all. Although the temperature + humidity here in Florida has dropped tremendously within the last week. I also haven't put the 7D through nearly what I would at a normal event yet though. Colder Climates without as much humidity as we have here in the south are probably in much better shape.

What are the odds that Canon could fix it with a Firmware update? My current solution is to grab the second camera, but that is just a band-aid.

-Michael
We were getting it a lot whilst shooting the 7d DVD didn't we Michael but that was pre-production model.
__________________
Philip Bloom
Cinematographer, Director, Filmmaker www.philipbloom.net
Phil Bloom is offline  
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:55 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network