Overheating Warning Icon in mild temperatures - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Closed Thread

Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:18 PM   #76
Contributor

Since it was out only a few weeks before the production model, I doubt there would be any significant differences.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:50 PM   #77
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
We were getting it a lot whilst shooting the 7d DVD didn't we Michael but that was pre-production model.
We certainly were, and it is fair to mention it was a pre-production model. I wasn't surprised when it started happening, but you did just keep on rolling and everything was fine correct? It was sweltering hot that day, but it's pretty typical here. Plus, the heat encouraged you to break up the continuity of your DVD. (Dude, Really, Awesome, Seriously) :-)

I think the fact that so many people are putting it to the test with different frame rates and procedures is a valuable effort. Some really good suggestions have been brought up to help people to deal with it. But only time will tell how wide spread the issue is for the production models of the 7D.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:53 PM   #78
Regular Crew

Yesterday I shot for an hour or so outside. I was in the shade and it was 80 degrees. No overheat warning at all.

Today I was playing around inside in the ac shooting off and on. Half way through I plugged in an HDMI monitor so the LCD was off. After an hour and a half off intermittent shooting the warning came on. First I was shooting 1920x1080 24 then I switched to 1280x720 60.

The camera itself did not feel very warm to my hands. Nothing like a MacBook Pro on your lap or anything. I turned the cam off and pulled the battery out for a couple of minutes and then turned it back on. It recorded 1920 30 for about 25 minutes before the warning kicked in.

From what I am hearing the 5D can get pretty hot to touch without the warning kicking in. Also with extreme prolonged heat abuse some 5Ds have burnt out. Is it possible that Canon has lowered the heat threshold for the warning icon to kick on?

After reading Jim's report of 47 minutes plus with no issues I am wondering if this unit has something haywire going on.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:59 PM   #79
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Dasher View Post
Is it possible that Canon has lowered the heat threshold for the warning icon to kick on?
I think this is a strong possibility.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:15 PM   #80
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Dasher View Post
Also with extreme prolonged heat abuse some 5Ds have burnt out. Is it possible that Canon has lowered the heat threshold for the warning icon to kick on?
Maybe, but then the 5D doesn't shoot at 60fps and so far, the reports seem to indicate that extended shooting in 720p causes the problem, while just shooting in 1080 doesn't seem to cause the problem (or at least nearly as quickly.) And it's not like the problem was unknown with the 5D...

It would be interesting if anyone can get it just shooting 1080 without switching to 720.

Obviously the 7D has a different sensor, processor and LCD to the 5D, so there's lots of other variables, but I'm not sure yet there's a strong case that Canon has lowered the heat threshold (though they certainly might have.)
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:52 PM   #81
Regular Crew

I spoke to my local dealer where I purchased my camera and the Canon rep is working on a replacement. Difficult task at this moment I know. They had no word back from Canon concerning any issues with overheating and the warning icon.

But really the camera does not feel hot externally. There does not seem to be excessive heat in the battery area, the LCD is warm but not hot, removing the lens and feeling the shutter area was cool and the lower body was just warm. Compared to my EX1 it seems to be generating less heat.

But I am by no means and expert on the guts inside the body of a HD shooting dslr. I just want to use it to shoot some nice footage and develop a confident work flow with the 7D.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 06:59 PM   #82
Regular Crew

I really wanted to purchase the 7D but, now I really dont want to be an early adopter and put up with headaches...

Dano
Old October 2nd, 2009, 07:23 PM   #83
Trustee

Being realistic...

I ordered mine on Sept 27th (pre-order with B&H), it will be delivered Mon Oct 5th. Yesterday I noticed this thread and my heart sank. But as I followed the discussion it seems the overheat warning comes on quickest at the 60p framerates, folks shooting primarily 1920x1080 30p are apparently seeing little problem with the overheat icon showing.

For me that is what most of my use will be. First off this will not be my primary video camera, it will supplement video with what it does best. More lens variety, actual control over DOF with real aperture management, low light performance and such.

1280x720 60p will be used only occasionally for slow motion, and my way of working does not include a need for long continuous sequences (for that I would use conventional video cam anyway), almost all of what I do calls for short takes so I don't look to experience much in the way of overheat problems.

After a few takes of a scene the camera can be turned off (conserve battery too) while the next scene is setup, composed, rehearsed, and then the camera will be powered on and on we go. This is essentially the way I work with my HF100's (again to conserve battery power).

So after the initial "misgivings" about it I look forward to getting my hands on mine in THREE MORE DAYS...

...And there are some real good ideas in here on protecting the gear from high temps, a white towel will become part of my "kit".

I think I'll hang onto my 4 month old T1i for some "backup" too.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 11:02 AM   #84
Trustee

Same warning came up on my virgin set today! Maiden shoot for an hour or so and the LCD was on & off. The warning came up when I got out into the open BUT the weather was gloomy, and I did not transit from an air-conditioned place. (its summer all year round here)

Didnt happen with the pre production model i used 2 weeks back. Exactly the same kinda bashing then. Never happened on my 5D2 as well. Will have to check with the Canon dudes.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 11:27 AM   #85
Contributor

Sounds like maybe some manufacturing issues, if some cameras do it and some don't. Very distressing.
Old October 3rd, 2009, 12:31 PM   #86
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Seah View Post
Same warning came up on my virgin set today!
What format were you shooting?
Old October 3rd, 2009, 06:50 PM   #87
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
Sounds like maybe some manufacturing issues, if some cameras do it and some don't. Very distressing.
More likely to be thermal design issues. There could be a few reasons why there is variation between cams.

The temperature sensor that triggers the warning will have a tolerance, so some cams will be more sensitive than others. Also the operating mode of the camera (e.g. 1080/24 or 720/60) could have a bearing as the processors will consume more power and generate more heat when working harder. And of course the brightness setting of the LCD panel could be the killer.

Richard
Old October 4th, 2009, 06:56 AM   #88
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Murie View Post
What format were you shooting?
1920@ 25p.
Old October 4th, 2009, 10:03 AM   #89
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rivera View Post
But only time will tell how wide spread the issue is for the production models of the 7D.
And time runs fast!! People in Spain are already complaining about this issue! It's worldwide!Tomorrow I'll pick up mine. Wishing for luck!
http://www.canonistas.com/foros/7d/1...odo-video.html
Old October 4th, 2009, 02:16 PM   #90
Major Player

I wonder if this does turn into a problem Canon might do an early firmware upgrade with hopes of Magic Lantern getting ported by dear Tramm.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD