Overheating Warning Icon in mild temperatures - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Closed Thread

Old October 6th, 2009, 10:40 AM   #121
Contributor

Hey, Randy--any chance of going outdoors in more heat and trying it out?
Old October 9th, 2009, 10:02 PM   #122
Major Player

So what has become of this issue? Canon has had time to come forward and make a statement one way or another. It's obviously internal heating and not ambient. it's seems like it's more from 60fps and having two processors work harder that can heat up. Maybe the temp sensor is set too low. Maybe the batteries are also working harder that adds heat. The 3" LCD can add heat, but the 5DM2 does not do this. The camera sensor also adds heat, but it's smaller than the FF 5DM2.

I am holding off buying and recommending this camera until something is officially announced. I think Canon should be talking about this. Please, don't post excuses on Canon's behalf. I have heard them all and we still don't have any answers.
Old October 9th, 2009, 10:30 PM   #123
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Anderson
I think Canon should be talking about this. Please, don't post excuses on Canon's behalf. I have heard them all and we still don't have any answers.
Reading through the thread, it's 90% speculation, and three people with specific issues, which primarily seem to center around 720p and 480p. Have these people actually contacted Canon? Charles said his dealer might be replacing his unit, but nothing more has been said. What makes you think Canon is even aware there is an issue at this point?
Old October 9th, 2009, 11:33 PM   #124
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Anderson View Post
Canon has had time to come forward and make a statement one way or another.
Canon has *already* made a statement. It's found on page 159 of the owner's manual.

This thread is for feedback from people who are using the camera to post about their real-world experiences with the overheating issue. There is very little worthwhile input that can be offered by someone who doesn't actually have the camera in hand. The next posts to follow here will come from members who have technical feedback to contribute regarding the temperature issue, based on actually testing and using the 7D. I'll warmly welcome an email from any one of those folks, which will quickly re-open this thread and put it back on track.

Mine is currently on loan to a filmmaker in Austin. I've asked him to report any overheat warnings, but he's shooting 1080p24 mostly indoors and therefore is not likely to run into it. But I'll find out on Monday if he did.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old October 17th, 2009, 05:32 PM   #125
Obstreperous Rex

Received word from the person who borrowed my 7D for a film shoot in Austin -- he never saw the warning through several days of filming, at 1080p24. He didn't use any other frame rates.

Direct any replies to Bill Pryor's thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...o-heating.html

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD