Overheating Warning Icon in mild temperatures - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Closed Thread

Old October 1st, 2009, 08:00 PM   #61
Major Player

If, in fact, it runs cooler on a tripod, I think for handheld shooting few people would be doing continuous 30+ minute shots where overheating might be an issue.

Just a thought which might give people a little less concern.
Old October 1st, 2009, 08:03 PM   #62
New Boot

Not Surprised

I've use the Canon T1i for months now and this is something that I've dealt with when shooting 720 30p outside in the sun for prolonged periods. Shooting at night outdoors has not posed a problem yet though. It is pretty consistent if I keep the LCD on and run around getting clips at an event. Usually works fine for at least 30-45 minutes before I have to let it sit for about 10 minutes. I try to put it in a cool dark place but even if I put it in the bag out of the sun it's usually fine after a few minutes. And the grip does get extremely hot to the touch.

I really think the LCD is a big heat generator as well as the battery itself. I don't mean to discount the processors or the sensor for generating heat though. I have changed the battery while the warning symbol is on and it's hot enough that I can't put it in my pocket until it cools off.

I've been using a production 7D for the last two days and it hasn't happened at all. Although the temperature + humidity here in Florida has dropped tremendously within the last week. I also haven't put the 7D through nearly what I would at a normal event yet though. Colder Climates without as much humidity as we have here in the south are probably in much better shape.

What are the odds that Canon could fix it with a Firmware update? My current solution is to grab the second camera, but that is just a band-aid.

-Michael
Old October 1st, 2009, 08:05 PM   #63
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
If it's on a tripod why can't you use the viewfinder?
The mirror is flipped up to expose the sensor while recording video - meaning the viewfinder is blacked out.

-Michael
Old October 1st, 2009, 08:06 PM   #64
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rivera View Post
What are the odds that Canon could fix it with a Firmware update? My current solution is to grab the second camera, but that is just a band-aid.

-Michael
Very little. There is no active cooling like a laptop.

Humidity shouldn't be a factor.

The battery grip option might help by moving the battery away from the electronics
Old October 2nd, 2009, 04:49 AM   #65
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chung View Post
My finished video done despite the lockups and heat warning is here Shooting China’s 60th anniversary parade with the 7D, 5DmkII and Nikon D700 DSLR News Shooter

Hope I can figure out a work around for this, cool box maybe?? it shouldn't come to that.

Dan
I enjoyed watching your movie clip and time-lapse Dan. Some of the tighter images of slowed-down walk pasts and fly-overs contained some powerful imagery, with great framing of subjects and colour.

I suppose when the D7 stopped working you simply picked up the 5D MK II and continued filming or taking stills with the D700 until the 7D cooled down. But if you ONLY had the 7D with you do you think you would have missed some vital footage? (I think so!).

Have you found any problem mixing the 5D video footage with that of the D7?

Once again, very nice work Dan. Was any of that to be used for the Guardian?
Old October 2nd, 2009, 05:00 AM   #66
Trustee

After reading your web page, Dan, I now realise that you probably didn't have quick access to the 5D for use as back-up due to it being clamped to a lampost! :)
Old October 2nd, 2009, 08:24 AM   #67
Regular Crew

I just placed my 7D on the coffee table and aimed it at the HD TV.

I'm on my 2nd 16GB card. Got 47 minutes on the first card with no more than 2-3 seconds between stop and start.

Shot 1080p at 30 fps with a shutter speed of 60. Used custom settings (mostly -2 or -3 on everything but sharpness which was -1) w/ a Nikon prime lens.

I'm currently into a 2nd card, probably about 1-2 minutes between changes as camera stopped with card full.

Haven't seen any warnings or anything else that shouldn't be there.

I'd take the camera back and exchange it. Most dealers will do that although they probably don't have another to give you.

It's not warm in here, probably around 70 F.

Good Luck.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 08:31 AM   #68
Trustee

70f is fairly cool for testing for this problem, Jim. I would try the tests again in hotter outdoor conditions to see if the results are the same.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 08:33 AM   #69
Obstreperous Rex

Once again, based on my tests from yesterday, my take on it is that it seems like an issue only for the 60fps modes (720p60 and 480p60). I didn't see it at 1080p30 or 1080p24, and I pushed it even harder with continuous recording in those modes... still indoors, though.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old October 2nd, 2009, 08:49 AM   #70
Wizard Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Once again, based on my tests from yesterday, my take on it is that it seems like an issue only for the 60fps modes (720p60 and 480p60)
One hypothesis would be that the 60fps mode is working the sensor harder since it is scanning it twice as fast as the 30fps mode. Here is a big question for you folks with a 7D: is the rolling shutter reduced in 60fps mode?
Old October 2nd, 2009, 08:50 AM   #71
Contributor

Yeah, some outdoor tests would be nice, in a warm place like Austin.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:07 AM   #72
Obstreperous Rex

Currently there's a cold front in CenTex (finally). Austin won't go above 82 deg. F. (and yes folks, that is indeed a cold front in this neck of the woods... we had about 60 days of triple-digit temps this summer).

Here's Jon Fairhurst's suggestion for a rolling shutter test:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eo...g-shutter.html

I've got a busy day in front of me and I doubt I can get to it.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:27 AM   #73
Contributor

I remember those days in Austin from my deep dark past at UT. I left my last final in mid afternoon wearing a short sleeve shirt and before I was 100 miles north it was 20 degrees and freezing rain. Texas weather.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:48 AM   #74
Trustee

During one of my trips to Texas there were people actually dying due to the heat (the hottest in 100-years), and I spent most of my time in air-conditioned cars and buildings both day & night. Opening the car door was like being hit by a brick wall!
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:30 AM   #75
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rivera View Post
I've use the Canon T1i for months now and this is something that I've dealt with when shooting 720 30p outside in the sun for prolonged periods. Shooting at night outdoors has not posed a problem yet though. It is pretty consistent if I keep the LCD on and run around getting clips at an event. Usually works fine for at least 30-45 minutes before I have to let it sit for about 10 minutes. I try to put it in a cool dark place but even if I put it in the bag out of the sun it's usually fine after a few minutes. And the grip does get extremely hot to the touch.

I really think the LCD is a big heat generator as well as the battery itself. I don't mean to discount the processors or the sensor for generating heat though. I have changed the battery while the warning symbol is on and it's hot enough that I can't put it in my pocket until it cools off.

I've been using a production 7D for the last two days and it hasn't happened at all. Although the temperature + humidity here in Florida has dropped tremendously within the last week. I also haven't put the 7D through nearly what I would at a normal event yet though. Colder Climates without as much humidity as we have here in the south are probably in much better shape.

-Michael
We were getting it a lot whilst shooting the 7d DVD didn't we Michael but that was pre-production model.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD