DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   T2i recording has "been stopped automatically" (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/482021-t2i-recording-has-been-stopped-automatically.html)

Brute Wolf July 17th, 2010 12:42 AM

T2i recording has "been stopped automatically"

First post. I've already learned enough to invest in this camera and in a good card. I've had the camera three weeks now. For the past week, I'm getting the "recording has been stopped automatically" error about every eight or nine clips. My confusion is that I bought a high end card (ProMaster class 10, 32gb) which I thought was supposed to avoid this issue. Is it still most likely the card's fault? Could it be an issue with the camera itself? Thanks.

J.J. Kim July 17th, 2010 01:17 AM

you know it stops after 12minutes (=4GB) of continuous recording, right?
I am not exactly following when you said "about every eight or nine clips"?
how do you count "clips"?
please specify more, so we can help you.

JJ

Brute Wolf July 17th, 2010 07:11 AM

It's definitely not making it to the limit. It stops randomly anywhere from 5 seconds to a minute into the recording. I'll see the buffering gauge and the recording stops. It won't happen again for a few clips, but inevitably comes back. I'm probably just going to take the card back. Would it have anything to do with the fact that it's 32gb? Or that it's ProMaster?

Colin Rowe July 17th, 2010 08:41 AM

Take the card back, its not cutting it. Get a Sandisk or Transcend. I have been using Transcend class 6 and more lately class 10 cards in my EX1 for a year, and more recently in my 550D, they have never missed a beat. The class 10 are also about the same price as class 6.

Shayne Tremblay July 17th, 2010 09:01 AM

A lot of people suggest to just stick to 8gb cards to prevent over-heating.

Michael Ojjeh July 17th, 2010 11:36 AM

That happened to me also with Delkin 16 and 32 GB card, after recording few minutes only then it works fine after that, I just turned it off wait a few minutes and back shooting again.

Colin Rowe July 17th, 2010 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shayne Tremblay (Post 1549617)
A lot of people suggest to just stick to 8gb cards to prevent over-heating.

The size of the card wont make an ounce of difference to overheating.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Ojjeh (Post 1549652)
That happened to me also with Delkin 16 and 32 GB card, after recording few minutes only then it works fine after that, I just turned it off wait a few minutes and back shooting again.

But that shouldn't happen, its another case of the card not being up to the job. A good card will record one continous clip, right up to the 12 minute limit, if you have to stop and start every few minutes the card is clearly not up to it.

Michael Ojjeh July 17th, 2010 03:27 PM

Colin, there is nothing wrong with the card, It is a class 6 Delkin card, I used it many times with no problems, but every once in a while the camera just shuts down with no reason at all.
I do have the battery grip to help with the overheating problem, but I don't think that really made any difference, the camera does overheat often especially when you shoot at 60fps.

Bruce Foreman July 17th, 2010 07:32 PM

Delkin is not a "first class" media, rather in the "bargain" media class.

SanDisk, while not very "bargain" priced does seem to give value performance. While Transcend is not as bad and many swear "by" it as having delivered trouble free performance, I've seen just enough in the way of "tales of woe" from these that cause me to avoid it.

I see the least amount of complaints of card failure or card error from SanDisk so that's all I trust now.

I pay the price and roll on.

Brute Wolf July 17th, 2010 10:15 PM

So where does ProMaster fit in to the spectrum? It's the only 32gb stocked locally (and I leave on a trip in 10 days), and they'll likely just offer me an identical replacement. Should I accept it, or should I order the SanDisk ASAP?

Colin Rowe July 18th, 2010 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman (Post 1549763)
Delkin is not a "first class" media, rather in the "bargain" media class.

SanDisk, while not very "bargain" priced does seem to give value performance. While Transcend is not as bad and many swear "by" it as having delivered trouble free performance, I've seen just enough in the way of "tales of woe" from these that cause me to avoid it.

I see the least amount of complaints of card failure or card error from SanDisk so that's all I trust now.

I pay the price and roll on.

Exactly, Trust to the better known, proven brands. As I have said many times before, find a card that you find reliable, and stick with it. Promaster is being touted by a few outlets, over Sandisk, Transcend etc, but those selling it often dont have a clue on the requirments of a card being used to record video. I had never heard of Promaster until I read another thread on it a few weeks ago. It may be a fine card, but not one I would trust in my cams.

Mugurel Dragusin July 18th, 2010 11:10 AM

I have a Toshiba 4Gb SDHC card which works perfectly, yet it cost twice ($100) as other card I have of 16Gb ($50). Both are class 6 yet the 16Gb cannot handle the T2i's video recording bitrate; but good for pictures and other less intensive works.

It is possible that these manufacturers are not really lying "per se". They are probably measuring the sustained speeds at different time lengths so you see how two class 6 cards could sustain their rated speed for longer or shorter time, thus making them both to pass the rating yet in real life behave differently.

I am not going to search now but perhaps there is a minimum time such card has to sustain certain speed to be rated class 6.

In the end you get what you pay for.

Bryan Cantwell July 20th, 2010 08:02 AM

Another vote for the SanDisk cards. I've got 8Gb Class 10's and one (gasp!) Class 4 SanDisk 8Gb that run just fine recording video in my T2i.

Don't skimp on the cards!!! It's only the part that's saving your video, right? :)

Eiji Iwakawa September 29th, 2010 05:46 AM

yikes

i just had this message too - totally out of the blue. Luckily I was just fiddling around and wasn't on a job. It happened on my 16gb Sandisk extreme class 10 card (totally legit), so it's definitely not a crappy card issue. It appear about 3 seconds into recording - never happened before (thats from extensive field use), hope it doesn't happen again!

Does anyone know the actual reason why it does this?

Panagiotis Raris September 29th, 2010 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brute Wolf (Post 1549786)
So where does ProMaster fit in to the spectrum? It's the only 32gb stocked locally (and I leave on a trip in 10 days), and they'll likely just offer me an identical replacement. Should I accept it, or should I order the SanDisk ASAP?

ProMaster is rebranded if i am not mistaken. the only brand ive used for video problem free is SanDisk cards, not to say certain brand cards of certain size and speeds dont work, but all the sandisks ive tested, SD and CF, work fine.