Old Lenses Found-Which adapter? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old April 4th, 2011, 01:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Old Lenses Found-Which adapter?

Can these lenses be used on my 60D with an adapter? Can anyone please advise which adapter, if any are available to make these lenses work on my 60D?

Sorry, I don't have any idea which is the right order to write all these numbers down, but this is what I see on the fronts of the lenses:
Vivitar 135mm telephoto 52mm 1:2.8
Vivitar 50mm 1:1.9 49mm
Sears Macro 1:4.0 f=80-200mm 55 (with a 0 and a slash through it after "55")

Please forgive my incredible ignorance here. I just need help in knowing if I can put these to use with an adapter. Found them in our basement! My hubby bought them umteen years ago.

Thank you so much for your guidance in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Old Lenses Found-Which adapter?-135-telephoto-front.jpg   Old Lenses Found-Which adapter?-135-telephoto-side.jpg  

Old Lenses Found-Which adapter?-sears-80-200-front.jpg   Old Lenses Found-Which adapter?-sears-80-200-side.jpg  

Old Lenses Found-Which adapter?-80-200-side.jpg   Old Lenses Found-Which adapter?-vivitar-50mm-front.jpg  

Old Lenses Found-Which adapter?-vivitar-50mm-side.jpg  
Lisa Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 03:23 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Old Lenses Found-Which adapter?

We need to see the rear mount. Of hand tho - it doesn't look good.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 03:35 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Lau View Post
We need to see the rear mount. Of hand tho - it doesn't look good.
here's a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Old Lenses Found-Which adapter?-3-lenses-mounts.jpg  
Old April 4th, 2011, 03:50 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Lisa,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Maxwell View Post
here's a pic.
Nikon look pretty close:

Nikkor Lens Mounts
Old April 4th, 2011, 04:11 PM   #5
Major Player

I'm pretty-sure those are Pentax K-mounts (bayonet) . I have several Pentax mount lenses, and they work great on my 7D for video. PK-EOS adapters can be had for less than $10.

The 135mm and the 50mm should give great service for video. The tele seems a little slow for video. The 55 you mention is the filter size.

MF glass gives a nice loooong throw for focusing, making for lovely rack focus shots.

Good luck with them.
Brian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 04:20 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I'm reading through the links given here and trying my best to grasp if I can use these, but I'm getting REALLY excited at the notion that I may have THREE whole extra lenses in my bag o'fun! Even if only for stills, but it sounds like I might be able to use them for video!

I'm so tempted to ditch my HV20 and some other extras I have lying around and get another 60D for a second camera, also have an HV40 I'm slow to part with. I don't think I'm apt enough though to go all DSLR, with only two cams at a wedding and I also film elementary school concerts, so I need the uninterrupted recording time.

Here's a closer look at the mounts. Thanks you guys! You're all just amazing with your much valued advice. I really appreciate the time taken to fill noobies like me in.
Attached Thumbnails
Old Lenses Found-Which adapter?-3-lenses-mounts-closer.jpg  
Old April 4th, 2011, 04:55 PM   #7
Major Player

Yes, am pretty-sure those a Pentax.

I think you'll be happier using the MF glass for video, rather than stills. Nailing focus with the viewfinder of a DSLR is pretty tricky, especially with longer lenses. Old-school, 35mm film SLRs had split prisms and brighter screens, that made focusing easier. You could use Live View and magnification, though, if you have some kind of LCD viewfinder.

You're right... the runtime of a DSLR clip is a big downside to using them to shoot extended events like weddings and plays.
Old April 4th, 2011, 05:30 PM   #9
Major Player

Yes, that looks like the right mount. The focus-confirm chip adds quite a bit of cost to the adapter. And doesn't always work properly in confirming focus on certain lenses (from what I've read). If you search on eBay, I think you can get 'em for less than $10. Many are shipped out of the Far East (and will take more time), but you can find domestic US suppliers, too.
Old April 4th, 2011, 06:49 PM   #11
Major Player

No, that's a screw-mount M42 adapter for the older Pentax, Contax, etc. Screw-mount lenses just spin-on to the camera bodies. The "newer" bayonet mounts refer to the protrusion sticking out of the back of the lens for iris and lens stop-down, and the two systems are not interchangeable.

Type in "PK to EOS" on eBay, and you'll get dozens if not 100 hits.
Old April 4th, 2011, 06:52 PM   #12
Major Player

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to the world of Vintage Lenses. Most of my lenses are vintage lenses. I own over a dozen lenses and only three of them are modern lenses, a couple Sigma 20mm 1.8s and a Tokina 11-16. Vintage lenses do have many pluses like, easy to focus, built like a tank, cost effective, have a unique look to them and so on. One of the negatives is that they do not have IS (image stabilization).

That is not the correct adapter. It is for M42, which is not Pentax. Pentax is also called PK. To makes things more confusing, older Pentax lenses used the M42 mount, but that type of mount has threads like a screw.

I have a lot of Fotodiox adapters and am very pleased with them. I did a search on the Fotodiox Ebay store, but they did not list PK to EOS adapters, but I know they sell them at their retail store. You could contact Fotodiox through their Ebay store to see if they are going to list one.

Here are three links for you.
Fotodiox items - Get great deals on Softbox, EZ Pro Softbox items on eBay Stores!

Fotodiox

PK to EOS | eBay
Old April 4th, 2011, 09:26 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Pentax Pk K lens to Canon EOS adapter 350D 400D XT Xti - eBay (item 250566136129 end time Apr-14-11 02:10:10 PDT)

works great for me. they also shipped very quickly. You will fall in love with the man. focus lenses especially if you buy some nice pentax lenses!! I shoot with an SMC Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4 and SMC Pentax 135mm f/2.5 and I haven't had a canon lens on my camera in ages! There are SO many A, M, K, SMC, takumer, etc etc lenses it can get confusing knowing which ones are the best, as some, two of which I mentioned earlier, are simply gems, and some are very soft wide open.

Also, the pentax lenses are better for video, IMO, since you're always using live view so there is no guessing exposure. For stills its a pain unless using tripod/live view. Good luck!
Luke Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2011, 06:55 AM   #14
Regular Crew

I wonder if there's any real difference between brands. Fotodiox is $28 and the others are $10-$15. Are they all safe for my new baby, er, I mean 60D? If they're all the same I'm ordering me one ta-day!

So, maybe I can actually buy more of these vintage lenses and have me a good ole stash o'goodies in my bag! Hmm, I wonder if photography will win me over videography. It's all so daunting, the stuff I've been learning, which basically is that I know nothing.
Old April 5th, 2011, 08:08 AM   #15
Major Player

Lisa, my generic adapter off of eBay is perfect. Just look for a seller with a lot of good feedback, and it'll be fine. For Fotodiox, you're paying extra for the brand-name and support you're not likely to need.
Brian Brown is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD