Crush problem solved - QT 7.6 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old January 23rd, 2009, 10:07 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marten Dalfors View Post
If you do the rewrap, I made some scripts to make life easier for the re-size and re-center. Check out my post at http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/998409-post21.html
I have yet to thank you for that. So, thank you! <SMILE>
Bill Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 06:42 PM   #17
Major Player

Quicktime 7.6 on the mac opens the h.264 files with the discussed over bright gamma when the 'Final Cut Studio color compatibility' preference is checked.

The info text below displays ' When enabled, video is not displayed using ColorSync. Source colors are read with 2.2 gamma and are displayed in a color space with 1.8 gamma.

After the QT 7.6 update Mpeg Stream Clip now displays a great image and renders out to Pro Res without the need to go into Apple Color.
James Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 09:24 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Can you guys tell me if this is what I should be doing on a PC with either Premiere or
Vegas....

Open Quicktime, open 5DMKII movie, export movie using same settings as the original movie, then open either Premiere or Vegas and edit the output movie from quicktime as usual??

Does this sound right, or am I missing something
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 10:55 AM   #19
Inner Circle

For Vegas, I recommend using the latest version of Quicktime. For quick edits, you can just put the clips on the timeline and edit. The blacks won't be crushed, but for some reason, the mid-tones are artificially lifted.

For the cleanest results, you can still re-wrap. Details are here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-eos...rap-vegas.html

Neither solution deals with the hungry nature of this codec. It won't play in real time on most Vegas systems. That's another topic though...
Old January 24th, 2009, 01:12 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Miller View Post
After the QT 7.6 update Mpeg Stream Clip now displays a great image and renders out to Pro Res without the need to go into Apple Color.
After I ran the update I'm still having the same issues in fcp & quicktime player, but things look fine in MPEG Streamclip...
Old January 24th, 2009, 01:49 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Donn View Post
After I ran the update I'm still having the same issues in fcp & quicktime player, but things look fine in MPEG Streamclip...
I've been intrigued by this update and i've been looking more closely at some stuff and without getting into it too much I think some problems remain.

essentially what seems to be happening is that quicktime is performing a conversion from YUV to studio RGB (at least it's scaling it properly without clipping the "superwhite" and "superblacks'), but then it stretches the range back out to cRGB and that's the output. This reduces the detail - you can see there are 36 gaps in the histogram for the RGB channels.

Ideally given our 8-bit RGB colorspace limitations, Quicktime would convert from YUV straight to cRGB, scaling the levels properly, leaving us with all of the details and full 8-bit (256 levels) resolution. I still see this as an improvement over what we had, which seemed to be YUV->sRGB (without properly scaling the out of bounds levels) and then passing clipped 220-levels cRGB.
Keith Paisley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD