the probability of Canon fixing the 5D's biggest flaws..? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old June 4th, 2010, 08:28 AM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David St. Juskow View Post
MEDIA
Not so much a flaw as just a concern, that SDXC seems to be the card everyone is turning to, which makes me think the compact flash format will be a thing of the past soon, which makes me think one should wait for the next Canon SLR with this media and start from there. Yes? No?
I'm thinking the same thing, at least the last part about waiting for the next VLSR. I have the 7D and am eying the 5dmk2 but I think I'm going to wait till a new full-sensor one comes out....whenever that is.

Is there anything on the rumor mill when a new full-sensor is coming?

I would like to see all the same issues fixed that you mentioned above.
Lloyd Ubshura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2010, 11:37 PM   #32
Regular Crew

heh, CompactFlash is not going anywhere anytime soon. Revision 5 has been introduced already....

"The CompactFlash Association has announced a new specification that brings 48-bit addressing, which increases the current capacity limitation of 137GB to 144PB -- as in petabyte. For the mathematically impaired, that breaks down to around 150 million gigabytes, or six million single layer Blu-ray discs. It also supports up to 32MB per transfer action, compared to 128KB today. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CompactFlash
http://www.techspot.com/news/37977-c...ity-limit.html

Its going to be a loooooong ride and its(CF) here to stay!
Old June 11th, 2010, 03:34 PM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Clark View Post
CF cards are nice and bit more sturdy than other flash based media (for camera's). But I've had a problem with the (CF slot) pins on the inside of two different Canon (non-video) DSLR's with them bending. This has happened to me twice. And no, I'm not jamming the cards in abruptly or roughly; just normal input and eject.

This is one advantage the SD cards have the advantage of not having to rely on pins to make contact. Just slide in and it locks into place. Also, they have a smaller form factor.

Not saying one is better than the other, both have their pro's and con's.
I suspect there's something wrong with the pins in your camera. Over the last 10 years, I have had 14 digital professional camera's (Nikon + Canon) with CF, working with some 40 cards, and I've shot about 200.000 images during that period. I never, and I mean never, had a problem with any of the CF-cards. I even lost data only once, when I removed a card without 'ejecting' it first from my PC. So I would certainly call CF 'foolproof' and trustworthy.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 01:34 AM   #34
New Boot

fortunately there is another way to focus, but unfortunately it is another major flaw of the camera (and one that can't be fixed)- moire. Since pictures out of the 5d are often crawling with moire, just make sure there is a bit of a crawl on the plane you want in focus and you can be sure that it'll be in focus!

Liam
Liam Morgan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD