the probability of Canon fixing the 5D's biggest flaws..? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old February 10th, 2010, 07:51 PM   #16
Major Player

Canon needs to enable this feature via firmware:

Rather than hitting a button multiple times to cycle thru all the magnification modes, they should allow the button to be configured so that when you hold it down, it zooms in, and upon release, zooms back out. The current three-push cycle is very tedious and introduces a lot of camera shake if you're looking to zoom-in quickly to check focus.
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 08:15 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yang Wen View Post
Canon needs to enable this feature via firmware:

Rather than hitting a button multiple times to cycle thru all the magnification modes, they should allow the button to be configured so that when you hold it down, it zooms in, and upon release, zooms back out. The current three-push cycle is very tedious and introduces a lot of camera shake if you're looking to zoom-in quickly to check focus.
That's genius, and then they should let you do that WHILE recording.

They should be paying us for this.
Old February 13th, 2010, 02:20 AM   #18
Major Player

wow.. that would be nice!
Manus Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 03:35 AM   #19
Major Player

Presumably there's a technical reason why you can't use this function when filming. Otherwise it would have made sense for Canon to do it on the XH A1.

Zooming in would be slow. The x5 and x10 process is quick.
Old February 13th, 2010, 09:06 PM   #20
Major Player

No when I say zoom, I'm not talking about zooming with the lens.. the button will enable x5 or x10 only when held down..

potentially, it could also be delay sensing where a quick press allows the normal cycle. And holding it down will allow a quick x5 or x10.
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 02:32 AM   #21
Regular Crew

That's what I'm saying- as I said originally, I think the magnification function is great. But if you can't do it while recording, it's mostly useless. In my (admittedly short) experience with the camera, it's the single-most quality-compromising flaw to the 5D. Setting exposure and shutter speeds on the fly can be tricky, but with enough tests, you can get a good idea of what you're going to get in most lighting situations. No biggie. It's the inability to focus quickly and properly that really kills this camera.
David St. Juskow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 12:38 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David St. Juskow View Post
I think the magnification function is great. But if you can't do it while recording, it's mostly useless. In my (admittedly short) experience with the camera, it's the single-most quality-compromising flaw to the 5D.
Wow. Obviously people are different, and hence, have different needs. I for one would put at least 10 other shortcomings ahead of the "magnifying while recording" feature.

The way I usually use the magnifying tool is to first check focus point A, mark the FF disk, and then focus and mark for spot B. Then I'd just look at the disk while pulling the focus between the two.

Quote:
It's the inability to focus quickly and properly that really kills this camera.
Since pulling focus is obviously your main concern, I would assume you already got a follow focus and a z-finder..?

-- peer
Old May 27th, 2010, 02:17 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Very thankful for post #10 and the 25 hour blog post dealing with audio drift - saved my ass :)
Old May 28th, 2010, 08:35 AM   #24
Major Player

Canon is not going to change the 5D to fix the flaws you mention. They have enough problems with bugs. Most of the issue you address will improve with the cine cameras released over the next year.

DSLR is just a short phase before we get real video cameras with large sensors. I guarantee all the players are working furiously to produce these new cine cameras.

It's best to assume the 5D will remain what it is currently, and use known techniques to handle the issues you mention.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2010, 01:15 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David St. Juskow View Post
MEDIA
Not so much a flaw as just a concern, that SDXC seems to be the card everyone is turning to, which makes me think the compact flash format will be a thing of the past soon, which makes me think one should wait for the next Canon SLR with this media and start from there. Yes? No?
-David
I really hope and pray you're wrong on this one. Compact flash cards have been standard in all pro still camera's for ages and I surely hope it'll stay that way. The SDHC cards, with their floppy, vulnerable construction, would'nt last two shootings in the environment I use my 5D's in. If Canon has any sense, they'll stick with CF cards.
Luc De Wandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 02:19 PM   #26
Trustee

A camera was caught in a net that had been in the ocean for over a year. The CF card inside was still working and the captain who found it placed some photos from the card on the internet, a friend recognised the pictures and got in touch with the orginal owner of the card. He'd accidently dropped his camera overboard the previous year.
Now I wonder if an SDXC could perform the same feat?
Old June 3rd, 2010, 12:54 AM   #27
Major Player

CF cards are nice and bit more sturdy than other flash based media (for camera's). But I've had a problem with the (CF slot) pins on the inside of two different Canon (non-video) DSLR's with them bending. This has happened to me twice. And no, I'm not jamming the cards in abruptly or roughly; just normal input and eject.

This is one advantage the SD cards have the advantage of not having to rely on pins to make contact. Just slide in and it locks into place. Also, they have a smaller form factor.

Not saying one is better than the other, both have their pro's and con's.
Andrew Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 05:15 AM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick View Post
A camera was caught in a net that had been in the ocean for over a year. The CF card inside was still working and the captain who found it placed some photos from the card on the internet, a friend recognised the pictures and got in touch with the orginal owner of the card. He'd accidently dropped his camera overboard the previous year.
Now I wonder if an SDXC could perform the same feat?
That's a good story, do you have a source or link to this?
Steven Fokkinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 12:59 PM   #29
Trustee

Here you are Steven, not the original one, but another one even longer in a differnt case than mentioned above:

Submerged camera holds functional memory card two years after accident -- Engadget
Old June 3rd, 2010, 01:13 PM   #30
Trustee

Here is the original 1-year account that I reffered to (from the BBC):

Photos retrieved from memory card found at sea

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD