Newcomer GL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old April 7th, 2004, 07:04 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Newcomer GL2

I took returned my 1 week-old Optura 20 and got the GL2. The Canon rebate was a real incentive for me to make the switch.

After rebate, I would be paying $1700. I think this is a great deal, since I'm seeing used GL2's go for that price.

I run a project recording studio but am dabbling in video now and hope to include weddings/birthdays in my list of services, once I'm competent. I'm a semi-pro photographer, and do graphic design by day, so I do have a good eye for composition.

I plan on getting the Canon Wide-Angle lens or possibly the Century version. Which one is more recommended?

I already have an Audio Technica ATR25 mic but hope on upgrading to something like the AT897 or similar and also add an XLR-Pro or Beachtek XLR box that mounts to the cam.

This forum is an excellent resource and I look forward to learning a lot from you all.

Rus
Rus May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 09:23 AM   #2
Trustee

Hi Rus,
I think most people here would reccommend that you go with the
Canon Wide-Angle lens rather than the Century Optics version. It was after all designed for that particular camera.
I've been immensely pleased with mine.

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 09:39 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I have to agree with Robin. I use the Canon WD-50H all the time and I love it. It has no noticable distortion, which is very important to me.
Old April 7th, 2004, 10:25 AM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Note that Canon's wide-angle accessory lens is the WD-58H. I also second its nomination. No muss, no fuss, full zoom-through, excellent glass (in Canon's tradition).

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 12:06 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Great, thanks.

Rus
Old April 7th, 2004, 02:34 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Oops, my bad, wrong number. Another thing I like about the wide-angle lens on the camera is how it helps balance the camera out. Combine that with an extra-large battery you'll have more controlled shots. The lens also makes the camera look more 'professional', which I don't really care about, but some clients actually will.
Old April 7th, 2004, 04:18 PM   #7
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Travis Cossel : Oops, my bad, wrong number. Another thing I like about the wide-angle lens on the camera is how it helps balance the camera out. Combine that with an extra-large battery you'll have more controlled shots. The lens also makes the camera look more 'professional', which I don't really care about, but some clients actually will. -->>>

Do you know how much (in inches) does the WD-57H add to the length of the camera?

On a slightly different note, I would like to get a camera bag that is compact without sacrficing too much room. Something very mobile, but yet has enough compartments for the basic accessories.

Rus
Old April 8th, 2004, 12:42 AM   #8
Old Boot

"Do you know how much (in inches) does the WD-57H add to the length of the camera? " WD58H ( BTW, the "H" stands for the sun Hood that comes with the "H" kit ).

1 - Lens Length: Okay, from the where the threads end - ie less the threads as these will be inside the threaded cammie lens ring - approx 1¾". BUT with the Hood on this goes up to approx 3¾". It isn't much in any event. I'd recommend the WD58H kit. The lens is great.

2 - Cammie Bag: Many threads on this on this forum. I've got the KATA 102. Slightly longer than the 101. KATA have now brought out a further model with a "deeper", I think expandable, side pocket. So is a little bit bigger. I've used the KATA for 18 mionths now, at Weddings and other "grab and shoot" projects. The "neat" thing about the KATA is that you can rip back the double zipped top flap and you have all the stuff available in front of you and provides a type of "cammie" select shelf as you work on connecting/bolting/clipping stuff onto the cammie. Typical content for me is:

1 - Cammie - ha ha ha !

2 - 4 rolls of miniDV

3 - WD58H at one end of bag

4 - 2 x BP945 large batteries at other end of bag [ oh, and the original tiny battery! ]

5 - Battery Tester

6 - Swish army type gizmo

7 - A selection of XLR cables - short, long & 2-to-1 XLR setup

8 - Furry for mic

9 - Senni K66 with foam cover

10 - Canon MA300 Audio adaptor

11 - Senni 280 Pro Headphones (gotta get headphones!)

12 - Set of spare batteries 4 off

13 - Lens cleaner

14 - In the side pocket Port-A-Brace cammie cover in

15 - Velcroed to inside used to "retain" cammie short retaining strap, Port-A-Brace Sun-Hood to cover the WD Hood.

16 - Cold Shoe bracket - very useful for those "additional" bits and pieces.

17 - Filming Spectacles in Hard case

18 - Spare PAG light bulb

19 - LightWave GL1/2 Equalizer sound muff on Cammie all the time!

If I go out on a shoot this is augmented by the battery charger and the PAG light.

If you are gonna get the KATA, try then get the "wide" shoulder strap - made a big difference for my shoulder and the feeling of security and spreads the load on my shoulder joint - yeah?

Hope this helps,

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2004, 12:59 AM   #9

Psst...Rus...a whispering aside....

Grazie calls his XM2 a "cammie". It's part of Grazie's charm.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old April 8th, 2004, 01:31 AM   #10
Old Boot

LOL - KEN! ;-)
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2004, 06:10 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Gramie,

Thanks for going in-depth on your "cammie" rig.
I like the 101, but I'll have to check them out in person (once B&H reopens after their holiday closure).

Rus
Old April 8th, 2004, 01:33 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I picked up the Sony HG 1.7 Tele for $260. It really is a nice piece of glass and works great. I'll be shooting the city landscape from my rooftop (weather permitting).

Wide angle adapter is coming soon.

I'm excited.
- Varizoom Stealth
Old April 8th, 2004, 03:43 PM   #13
New Boot

Rus...

Help....!!!!

Just noticed you said B&H was closed for the Holidays...unfortunately I didn't see that when I placed an order this morning.

I need my stuff before next week and I don't seem to see any way of cancelling the order on the web!

Anyone know how to cancel a B&H order?????!!!
Chris Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2004, 03:56 PM   #14

You'd have to phone them to cancel an order. I suspect that they're closed tight until next week. In fact, you might have a tough time at most places, since tomorrow is Good Friday.

Why not give EVS a call to see what they can do? You can cancel your B&H order next week.

Old April 14th, 2004, 09:42 AM   #15
Regular Crew

I got the WD58H wide-angle converter. Now I see why everyone recommends it. I have to get used the size of this outfit now.

I don't plan on taking off the converter lens, so I need to find a compact bag that will fit. Looking at the Kata 102.

Me wonders if me can fit the GL2 with WD58H fixed to it, in addition to the Sony 1.7x, batteries... into the Kata 102.
- Varizoom Stealth
Rus May is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders