GL2 self-inflicted pauses while recording - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old March 1st, 2005, 09:53 AM   #31
New Boot

ok, so i sent it in to canon with this note:

Description Of Problem:
While recording the unit sometimes turns itself off, then back on into pause mode for no reason.

This happens when on tripod, on battery, on power cable, on different battery, and on multiple tape brands. I have wiped the spot where the power connects to the camera to make sure it's "clean" and have not had any luck.

This issue can not be reproduced on demand, but I have read of others who experience the same problem. you can read about it here if needed:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&postid=267690#post267690

Thank You

about 5 business days later i got it back!

the service details were as follows:
repaired lock/standby switch. performed tape path adjustment. cleaned tape path and head. while operating between the lock and standby switch, please be sure to turn the switch fully until you hear a small clicking sound. cleaned and checked all functions.

so i used it off and on a few times, with no issues, then i went to record a 1 hour dance recital and it literally shut off 20+ times within that one hour. at first it went 15 minutes wihtout a problem, then it power cycled, then it went 10, then lesss, and less till it was turning itself off and on up to 4 times in one dance number! (luckily i had 2 other cameras running because i didn't trust it. :)

so today i called canon again, and they said, we'll send you a shipping label and get your camera repaired. :) i asked for a loaner while mine was out, and they said they dont' do that, i asked for mine to be replased, not repaired, they said they only do that if they can't fix the issue. i said. it seams like you dind't fix the issue, they said we'll see.

so i'm waiting for my label and pricing sony camcorders for now. any sugestions on what to do with canon?
Alex Maldonado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2005, 12:55 PM   #32
Regular Crew

I now have 2 Sonys and have relegated my Canons to backup and secondary duty. I was lucky in that mine died at the repair facility and wouldn't power up. Turned out a micro-fuse was bad. They replaced it and I haven't had a problem since and have used it heavily for a number of weddings. Seems my microfuse may have had a bad connection but who knows. All I know is that mine is working great now.

Good luck
Philip Hinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2005, 10:16 AM   #33
Regular Crew

I bought my GL2 with a Visa credit card just in case I have a problem like this, I can call Visa and try to get them to replace it under warranty. Visa adds one year to the warranty if you use the Visa card. And I have had to use it one time to get something covered/replaced under warranty. The question does canon ever read these sites? Is a real good question. I have an old Sony and to knock on wood is just like a Timex watch "takes a lickin and keeps tickin". I now baby my Canon GL2 more than I ever did that Old Sony or my two kids.

I read the Sony site and never see so many problems like Canon or so it seems. Maybe Canon should read the Forums.
Good Luck Steve
Steve Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2005, 06:20 AM   #34
New Boot

well, i have sent it back in, and we'll see what happens. i'll be sure and keep you folks posted.
Old March 21st, 2005, 03:53 PM   #35
New Boot

just a quick update, after tracking my camera down at canon, here is what i have been told.

it was tested for 3 days and never acted up :) great. then they sent it somewhere else to be tested and they are replacing the main circuit board on it.

they said they will be shipping it back to me in the next few days.

hope this worked.
Old March 21st, 2005, 05:10 PM   #36

They never got mine to act up either. But sure enough, as soon as I would get my hands back on it, within minutes it would do it. I think they may 'fib' a little about their testing practices. I don't see how in any way possible they could not duplicate the problem if they would test for more than 5 minutes. I could be wrong, but that's just the way it seems (as it would happen to me so easily). At any rate, I hope this solves the problem for you Alex. If it doesn't, demand new units.
Old March 28th, 2005, 07:55 AM   #37
New Boot

ok, well i got it back, took it out, put a tape in and set it on my desk and left it recording with another camera filming it. :) and for 2 hours it didn't act up. i didn't know whether to be excited or dissapointed. :)

so i took it out into the "field" this weekend, and filmed my sons's birthday party and our church service, and sure enough. BAM the stupid thing would shut off, only this time it was slightly diffrent. whever it does it, it does not shut ALL the way off, it only switches to a black screen, then back to my ready to record, a quicker power cycle than before.

so i'm going to try and capture this on tape this mornign then call canon. i don't know what they will think, but really, why would i WANT to send my camera in evey 3 weeks to them? what do i have to gain? i wish they would just replace the unit.

as always. i'll keep you guys posted.
Old May 18th, 2005, 08:40 PM   #38
New Boot

Well here we go!! I have the same problem and I am very upset too. Just got done taping a High School band concert and it happend 4 times!!!! I had it happen to me while testing some night shots the other night, but I thought my battery was MAYBE loose. So I pluged it in and still happened. So, what can a guy do. We spend $2000 on a camera to get high quality shots and we can not even trust it? Sounds like with all the problems they should just replace the camera instead of sending it back and forth 5 times.......

Very upset and worried I will not get it fixed like most here!!! I hope and pray I can get it fixed! Small business guys like myself can not afford to go and buy a new camera because you can not trust your 6 month old professional GL2.

LeEarl Rugland
LeEarl Rugland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2005, 09:03 PM   #39
New Boot

Just got off the phone with Canon and I am sending the camera back for repair tomorrow. The service guy I talke to said he had never heard of the problme before, SO I am going to print off this thread and send it in with my camera. I hope it helps with the repair of my GL2. I REALLY need this camera in 100% condition or I will have to take out a loan and buy a XL2 to keep from getting this problem again.

Keep us posted on how everyone else has faired in their repair proccess!!!

LeEarl Rugland
LeEarl Rugland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 06:28 AM   #40
New Boot

ok, so the way my repair issues ended up going were... the second time i sent it back i was very "persistant" about the issue getting fixed. it seems to me that a company the size of canon should be able to keep a database of issues that their techs could call up, so i was a bit frustrated when i got the same "never heard of it" type answers. anyway i finally was able to get a nice lady on the phone who worked witht he camera for about a week or so, never got it to act up, but then ended up replacing the inside parts of my camera, but kept the body the same as to not void my warenty. so all in all i give canon tech support an 85. they would have scored much higher had someone been "aware" of the issue the first time i sent it in. keep trying and be persistant.
Old May 20th, 2005, 12:12 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeEarl Rugland
Just got off the phone with Canon and I am sending the camera back for repair tomorrow. The service guy I talke to said he had never heard of the problme before, SO I am going to print off this thread and send it in with my camera. I hope it helps with the repair of my GL2. I REALLY need this camera in 100% condition or I will have to take out a loan and buy a XL2 to keep from getting this problem again.

Keep us posted on how everyone else has faired in their repair proccess!!!

LeEarl Rugland
You know, that really makes me upset. I had this happen to two cameras. After sending them in 6 times, they finally replaced them both. Other people have had the same problem. We all know they keep track of issues and are probably looking on a computer screen with it right in front of them, but they're told to say 'never heard of it'.

THAT'S BAD BUSINESS, and a joke considering the expense of these cameras.
Old May 20th, 2005, 12:13 AM   #42

Likewise, these people don't really test these cameras that much. They probably play with them for 2 minutes. There's no way they look at them longer if they can't get it to happen. Each time I got mine back it would happen within 5 minutes on either camera.

They're full of BS as far as I'm concerned from that aspect of things, however, I couldn't be more pleased with the service I've gotten on other issues with one lady in particular at the NJ service center.

For some reason, they just won't admit there's a problem with this power issue.
Old May 20th, 2005, 03:02 AM   #43
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Olds
I bought my GL2 with a Visa credit card just in case I have a problem like this, I can call Visa and try to get them to replace it under warranty. Visa adds one year to the warranty if you use the Visa card. And I have had to use it one time to get something covered/replaced under warranty. The question does canon ever read these sites? Is a real good question. I have an old Sony and to knock on wood is just like a Timex watch "takes a lickin and keeps tickin". I now baby my Canon GL2 more than I ever did that Old Sony or my two kids.

I read the Sony site and never see so many problems like Canon or so it seems. Maybe Canon should read the Forums.
Good Luck Steve
Steve,
From your quote above am I to understand that if the camcorder was purchased using a Visa card, that Visa will extend the warranty.
I am having the "Eject tape" problem with my GL2.
It started last November when the Camcorder was 13 months old.
I was recording a rugby match and the camera asked for the tape to be ejected 5 times during the match.
I thought it was temperature related and haven't used the camcorder since for any important recordings, but it is still faulty 6 months later.
I use my XL1i or my Panasonis AG-DVC15E for weddings etc..
Incidently, the Panasonic has never given me any problems in 3 years, and I used a mixture of tapes including Sony, before hearing of the Wet/Dry problem.
If I contact Visa will they help fix this issue under warranty.

Thanks, David
David Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2005, 07:47 PM   #44
New Boot

Yup...me too.

Sadly, I've encoutered this problem. Fifth tape. Bought the camera about three months ago so it is still under warranty. The problem is intermitent so I am anxious about Canon repair being able to detect it. I've read through this thread so who knows for sure.

I have been hugely impressed with this camera's capabilities. Unfotunately it left me wondering this afternoon at a kid's track meet. Not a paid job, but one I'd hoped to be able to impress my daughter with since she came first in the high jump. Got the approach and the celebration afterwards but not much in between. Same issues with tape on many events her close friends were involved with.

I have not been able to duplicate the problem at home...when it really doesn't matter.

Oh well... any consolation or suggestions would be appreciated!
Ken Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2005, 06:33 AM   #45
New Boot

persistance is the only thing i can offer. i would include a copy of this thread printed out, and if the initial person you speak to over the phone does not "know" about the issuse, i would get in touch with a supervisor BEFORE you send in the camera, and see what type of "solutions" they can offer you.

best of luck and keep us posted.
Alex Maldonado is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders