GL2 self-inflicted pauses while recording - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old May 27th, 2005, 12:22 PM   #46
Regular Crew

David,
I used my Visa warranty 2 times through Visa with no problems, works for me. I had a $300.00 scaner go bad and Visa sent a check to replace it even the tax! This would be a good time to go to Visa website and read up on how to go about it. Down side might be it took a month with sending of paper work back and forth to get my money, BUT I GOT THE MONEY!. Good luck and let us all know how it comes out.
Steve
Steve Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 07:49 AM   #47
Tourist

Hi guys,

sadly, I've encountered the same problem last weekend during a wedding shot with my XM2. Fortunately, it still worked during the ceremony, but I screwed up all shots at the party. I sent the camcorder in, but the dealer had no idea of this problem. All I can do now is hope for the best...
Meanwhile, can anybody tell me the end of his story? Did Canon finally find a solution for the problem? As there are no more posts about it for a year, I hope so... just let me know!

Thanks
Andreas
Andreas Meiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 08:59 AM   #48
Regular Crew

My solution

I am lucky and have a repair facility locally. I got to know the tech in the process of figuring out the problem. Basically according to the tech the pinch rollers have to be replaced. It is part of the tape drive mechanism. The tech told me that the motors try to place a specific amount of tension on the tape as it is pulled over the heads. I guess the pinch rollers are a little set of gears that help keep the pressure constant. If the pressure varies just the tiniest bit it stops and wants to eject the tape because it thinks the tape has ended or something.

The tech replaced them and I have not had any problems since. It appears that since you are using XM2 that it is a PAL model meaning your are not located in the US. I could give you the phone number of my tech here and he could explain the problem but it would be a pretty expensive phone call. I could try and get an email from him if you think it would help.
Philip Hinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 09:58 AM   #49
Tourist

Philip, thanks for your quick reply. Nice to hear that your cam has been repaired and what fixed the problem. You're right, I'm from Germany, so I'd rather not call your tech. It wouldn't even help much because I had to send my cam to the dealer who will send it to Canon Germany, so there is no direct contact to the repair staff (so far). That's the way it works here. I hope that the problem is known at Canon meanwhile... But thanks for your kind offer! Maybe I'll come back to it when they are unable to fix the cam...
Old July 12th, 2006, 10:05 AM   #50
Regular Crew

If there is anyway to get word to them to check the tape drive mechanism and pinch rollers it may be worth the effort. My tech even gave me the parts he replaced....I may still have them laying around and could email you a pic to show them what they look like.....if I can find them.....I may have finally tossed them but I do know they were laying on my desk for a long time.

Good luck.
Old July 12th, 2006, 11:17 AM   #51
Regular Crew

Thanks for starting this thread back up cause I was about to anyway. My GL2 just acquired the same eject tape problem. It's 15 months old. Of course it started a few days before a wedding shoot, but it would only do it right after I started recording. Once it got going it was fine. So I was real careful to only change tapes during longer stretches of unimportant time (peace be with you...). Thankfully, I made it through, but what a test of faith that was. I know this is like real demanding of me and all, but I kind of expect a multi-thousand dollar camera to be reliable. There's enough uncertainties recording a live event. I don't need to wonder if my camera will be working. So thanks for the pinch rollers thing. I'm going to send it in with this thread and I'll post what happens when I get it back.
Jeff Cottrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 12:15 PM   #52
Regular Crew

If you wanted to send it to my tech we are located in Wisconsin and they do take repairs from out of state. At least he knows how to fix it. If you are interested in that path the company is Full Compass (www.fullcompass.com) . Call and ask for Keith in Service. Make sure to tell him Philip from Frogman Productions sent you!
Old October 16th, 2006, 07:09 AM   #53
Major Player

Did this work for you?

I am both relieved and upset to see this thread. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one experiencing this frustrating problem, but also dismayed to see how widespread it is and how difficult to fix.

Has anyone had success with this method posted by Steven Graham?

"I solved this problem in my camera by:
1. Turning camera off completely.
2. Removing battery from camera.
3. Exercising the Main Power switch by repeatedly sliding the switch back and forth between CAMERA, OFF and PLAY a few dozen times. (Possibly exercise the Standby Lever between STANDBY and LOCK as well.)
4. Ensuring Main Power switch off.
5. Reattaching battery.
6. Turning camera back on."

I tried this over the weekend and went out to shoot a soccer team and had no shutoff problems. Well, maybe one. The sound in my headphones cut out while I wasn't looking at the camera but by the time I looked down it was back on so it may have just been the shotgun mic.

I think y'all should try this method and see if it works for you.

Thanks,
Mike
Michael Pulcinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 07:18 AM   #54
Regular Crew

It may work on occasion but from what the repair tech told me the pinch rollers go bad and proper tension is not maintained on the tape drive mechanism and causes the eject tape message. This can also partially be a cause for the camera to stop recording but not sure about the actual shut off of the camera.

I had a problem where a cam was going into standy whenever it felt like it with not rhyme or reason....it just shut off and came on. Luckily my tech got it to happen while in the shop and it wouldn't come back on. He found a faulty micro fuse on the main board and replaced it. I haven't had the problem since. If the lock/standy switch is going bad it is possible that could cause problems...don't know how to properly diagnose it without a tech that knows what is going on take a look at it.

Good luck....I had written off ever getting another Canon but when the new HDV cams were announced I may reconsider....much more for the money than the Sony's. Now I have to rethink my position. :-)
Old October 26th, 2006, 01:21 AM   #55
Tourist

As I wrote above, I had the same shut-off-problem. My dealer was unable to reproduce it, but sent it to Canon with my description of the error, the possible solution described by Philip and a link to this thread. After about three months, they sent it back stating they had found nothing! Nevertheless, the cam works properly ever since. Perhaps they cleaned it and fixed the problem by the way. In fact, I'm glad that the cam works properly and don't care much why...
Old September 5th, 2008, 05:45 AM   #56
Regular Crew

Repair shop

Has anyone used these guys to do repair on there cameras? The camera just shuts off by itself when recording for no reason! Sony Camcorder Repair | Canon Camcorder Repair
Matt Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders