Live concert video using gl2, xl1s, and gl1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old November 13th, 2002, 04:56 PM   #1
Trustee

Live concert video using gl2, xl1s, and gl1

My buddy Damon asked me to film a couple of songs from JND's show last Saturday night for a package they are sending to a couple of record companies. We shot live in one take, using the xl1s, gl2, and gl1, in a very crowded club, with little control of the lighting and sound. Sound on this clip comes from the xl1s microphone (a 24 track recording was made, but we're waiting for mixing to be completed.)

All three cameras were in frame mode, with white balance set to default incandescant setting. Custom presets were used to increase sharpness on the gl1 (fixed wide shot) and xl1s(tripod mounted closeup). Custom preset on the gl2(handheld) was 2 steps lower in sharpness, and color phase 2 points green.

Overall the cameras matched beautifully, although the gl1's image needed to be lightened in post. As per Bill's testing, the gl2 picked up the magenta-purple backlighting better than both the gl1 and xl1s. The gl2 also renders the yellow amber colors slightly redder than the other cameras.

Other than getting bumped around a bit, and not having someone to handle the 3rd camera. I was pleased with how all camera's performed. Here's the link.

http://homepage.mac.com/barrygoyette...Theater10.html

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2002, 07:05 PM   #2
Major Player

Barry,

I have a question for you.

How will you match the 24 track recording in post? I just recently completed a project similar to yours:

http://www.image-studio.com/movies/llsong03.html

The audio was taken from the mixing board into a rack loaded with API mike pre's. Mark Austin (new member) handled the post production and delivered the end mix. What was most time consuming was matching the three cameras to the audio.

I am curious as to what steps you will be taking to accomplish this task.

BTW - Nice footage, I can relate to the issues that you faced in shooting this assignment.
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2002, 10:38 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Barry,
Very nice camera work, especially considering the environment. Good editing work, too! FCP3?

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2002, 09:01 AM   #4
Trustee

Paul

I'm not sure what I'm going to get from them in terms of sound, and my hope is that it just matches up perfectly ; ).....in the past if I've had problems it usually isn't too big a fix....probably easiest to edit to the camera sound and then drop the board mix into the timeline, set some markers, and then adjust its duration if necessary. In my case, we're not going for studio quality sound...we'll actually be mixing the 24 track mixdown with my camera sound to maintain a rougher "live" sound. We're actually going to some lengths to make the tape look "home" produced....(which it basically is)....

On the editing...because it was shot live (and the second camera was operated by the band's attorney--a first timer) I didn't always have good stuff to cut to, so a few edits are a little off the beat. I think it survives on the bands performance. I did use FCP, although I'm still using 2.0...too cheap to upgrade (this from the hardware freak with 3 cams!)

I've got a black and white 2-camera version of one of their accoustic songs that I'll throw up in a little bit.

Barry
Old November 19th, 2002, 09:10 AM   #5
Major Player

Barry,

You should really look into upgrading to FCP 3. One of the best FCP users group in the US is based in LA: http://www.lafcpug.org/

I think you will find the upgrade well worth it.

The biggest issue that we had to deal with (regarding sound) was the crowd noise. It as scaled back in post. I went through several edits getting the look and feel I wanted. Once I got the hang of locking down the audio with the video, it was smooth sailing.

Looking forward to seeing your B&W footage.
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2002, 11:50 AM   #6
Regular Crew

barry,

-the bulk of the concert was shot camera left (stage right). was that shot with the xl1s or the gl2? just curious.....

-run kaori run= shot with the xl1s or the gl2. very nice work!

mb4
Michael Buendia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2002, 01:02 PM   #7
Trustee

The handheld camera at stage right was the gl2, the RKR video was shot on the gl1.

Barry
Old November 19th, 2002, 03:15 PM   #8
Regular Crew

if i understand corretcly the bulk of the shots came from the gl2 right? it looked very nice.

mb4
Michael Buendia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2002, 10:15 PM   #9
Trustee

MB

Yes the main handheld shot was with the gl2...and it performed very well, Although I was very pleased with all three camera's on the shoot.

BG
Old November 19th, 2002, 10:54 PM   #10
Trustee

I am so happy to see the GL2 perform so well. It looks as good as anything on TV. If it was higher resolution, it could pass for HD, IMO.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders