Top accessories for HV20 - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 22nd, 2007, 06:31 AM   #61
Major Player

Enea,

Tried the ATR25 again with the two plug cable, the single-mini plug and changed to the maxell alkaline, sound came in soft but clean. It's slightly louder than last night (subjective, I was tired) but is not as sensitive as the built-in microphone (probably not a bad thing since it's clean, just seems like it achieves this by softness?). I'm thinking the screw in connector may be hit/miss as it appears to be hooked up to the battery spring and bounces when I plug it in.

Here's a sample from a quiet room. There's a laptop with an audible cooling fan humming about 2-3 feet (~1 meter) from the camera. The HV20's mic picks it up quite a bit while the ATR25 only records my voice.

In 16-bit WAV (3.26MB):
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XKQ6KGYK

In MP3 (680K):
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XKQ6KGYK

Does it sound right to you?

Charles,

Maybe you could post a sample of the DM-50's sound?
Old April 22nd, 2007, 12:27 PM   #62
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dulay View Post
Enea, is the audio supposed to be very soft on the ATR25? I changed batteries just to be sure but it sounds like its only a quarter as loud as the built in mic for the HV20. When hooked up to a PC I expected it to boom or produce a lot of noise but it doesn't.
I use the ATR25 on my Panasonic GS250 and it works fine. I tried to use a rechargeable battery and it did not work, but a regular AA is fine. I used it at this air show with great results: http://www.socalspeedzone.com/ptmugu...w07/index.html

When I get a HV20 I am thinking of getting the Canon DM-50 but I try the ATR25 first. Would if it would be much better?
Duane Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 06:37 AM   #63
Regular Crew

I just repeated your test with my camera, with almost the opposite result. Audio recorded with the ATR25 was a bit louder, clearer and had a wider frequency response.

I analyzed your test file in WaveLab and noticed that the ATR25's sound was about 10-12 db more quiet than the in camera sound. This is really strange. Either there's something wrong with the mic or the HV20 compensates for the ATR25's higher output.

As soon as I have my HV20 (hopefully next week), I'll repeat the test with the ATR25.

I'm terribly sorry for having recommended something you're not satisfied with. I really hope it's not a HV20 compatibility problem (as stated above).
Enea Lanzarone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 03:56 PM   #64
Regular Crew

I have the DM-50 on the way to see how it does. When adjusting menu items with the joy stick you can hear the clicking action in the on-camera mic. Though I don't normally adjust anything while recording, it would be nice to have the mic up and away from the body so if I want to tick the exposure up or down I (hopefully) don't interfere with the audio. Then again, adjustments still shake the camera video as well, so that might be moot.

The battery placement is awkward for using an XLR adapter 9aking to bottom loading DV tape mechanisms), so I am looking for options there as well. Have a couple Lenmar batteries coming with an plug-in charger.

Also have the tele-converter coming to give that a try. Haven't bee able to find anyone with the wd-h43 in stock, but that is on the list as the camera doesn't shoot wide enough for the landscape video I normally do.

Aside from the added mic, a few batteries, the tele and wide converters, I'm interested in a 35mm adapter and a basic steadycam. I would think the first are required and the latter is desired though.
Old April 26th, 2007, 03:46 PM   #65
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enea Lanzarone View Post
I just repeated your test with my camera, with almost the opposite result. Audio recorded with the ATR25 was a bit louder, clearer and had a wider frequency response.

I analyzed your test file in WaveLab and noticed that the ATR25's sound was about 10-12 db more quiet than the in camera sound. This is really strange. Either there's something wrong with the mic or the HV20 compensates for the ATR25's higher output.

As soon as I have my HV20 (hopefully next week), I'll repeat the test with the ATR25.

I'm terribly sorry for having recommended something you're not satisfied with. I really hope it's not a HV20 compatibility problem (as stated above).
Enea, I'm happy to say that swapping out for a new ATR25 did the trick. I'm enjoying good audio pickup without the camera hum (I do a lot of video in quiet places) now. Next step is to figure out how to mount it. Modify the shoe or buy a brace? Hmmm ....
Old April 28th, 2007, 02:18 PM   #66
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jay View Post
I just wanted to add this to the infobase, since I own & recommend the c-8 43 and its big brother c-8 67, two exceptional pieces of glass used in cine 8 land, and easily picked up at the world auction place.

Canon C-8 WIDE ATTACHMENT 43

Special supplementary lens (spectra coating) for the Canon 514XL and 514XL-S movie cameras or any camera with 43mm filter thread for super wide-angle cinematography. When the camera is set to wide-angle macro filming and this lens is used, the focal length is fixed at slightly over 4mm, the shortest focal length in the world for 8mm movie camera. Because of this short focal length, the depth of field is so deep that, in good lighting conditions, there is no need for focus adjustment between the closest filming distance and infinity.

find the manual for the 67 threaded version here (the 43 is identical)
http://www.super8.no/Manuals/Canon_C...0languages.pdf

ps they are not zoom through
Thanks John, I bought an old C-8 43 from that auction place and I'm pleased to report that it works excellently (only in my first day of ownership at the moment for the HV20 though!). You are correct that it only works properly with the zoom set to full wide (I guess this is a focus point issue).

Great money-saving tip though!

Andrew
Andrew Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 11:39 PM   #67
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post
I had been asked to provide stills of the WD-H43. Here they are. The last one is the "well-dressed HV20" with H43 and DM-50 mike onboard.

The last two are frames from the camera itself showing field of view with and without the adaptor. Clearly there is a bit of barrel distortion as to be expected with a wide angle adaptor (there's even a touch of it on the shot without the adaptor!)

The adaptor is quite heavy compared to the body, it adds up to a bit of a handful (you'll want to use two hands to operate). The center of gravity is pushed up to the somewhere around the manual focus button, i.e. a bit over an inch from the front of the camera!

Thanks for posting these photos. I'm curious how this setup has been working for you? Does the DM-50 mic work well in most situations? Close indoor and far away outdoor use? Do you have any sample videos using the WD-H43?

Thanks
Old July 20th, 2007, 07:54 PM   #68
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch View Post
Have you even thought about the DM-50 from Canon? Hotshoe mount and three different settings, shotgun-stereo-and wide range stereo? You are about to put a mic on a $1,000 camera, why not consider the mic made for it. Easy to mount and use! Very nicely priced!

If I had good hearing I'd try to do a test for all, but alas I don't. I will use my DM-50 for my shoots.

Mike
I'd be interested in any feedback on this (I'm just a Home Vid Shooter) but after I month of using the HV-20 want if possible a stero mic that is just a "step up" from the internal mic:
1) Small, Cheap, Easy to Use
2) Cuts down on Wind & Motor Noise

Any other suggestions would be welcome
Thanks
Nathan
Nathan Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 09:00 PM   #69
Regular Crew

Canon HV20 and Canon DM-50 shotgun mic

I actually bought the DM-50 and used it on a recent trip to Alaska. I'll try to post some clips of it up on the web. My initial impression is it did a pretty good job. I haven't yet listened to the audio captured to my computer though. Anyhow I love that it uses no wires and is powered by the hot shoe. Anyhow when I get some clips up on the web I'll post a link here.
Old December 8th, 2007, 03:58 AM   #70
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch View Post
Have you even thought about the DM-50 from Canon? Hotshoe mount and three different settings, shotgun-stereo-and wide range stereo? You are about to put a mic on a $1,000 camera, why not consider the mic made for it. Easy to mount and use! Very nicely priced!
A nice, compact, super easy to use mic, but definitely not "made" for the DV20. They've been around for quite a while. I bought one when I first got an Optura Pi (5 or 6 years ago?), and I think it was probably around before the Pi.
John Uchida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 04:53 AM   #71
Regular Crew

Canon DM-50 Microphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Uchida View Post
A nice, compact, super easy to use mic, but definitely not "made" for the DV20. They've been around for quite a while. I bought one when I first got an Optura Pi (5 or 6 years ago?), and I think it was probably around before the Pi.
Well I bought this mic a few months ago and have shot quite a few videos with it. I'm pretty happy with the quality. I would def. recomend it. I love not having to carry around extra cables or batteries!
Old May 8th, 2008, 01:03 AM   #72
Major Player

C-8 43 and C-8 67

Any idea how much of a Wide Angle this ? i.e. 0.7 or 0.65 etc..
This is not mentioned anywhere....

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jay View Post
I just wanted to add this to the infobase, since I own & recommend the c-8 43 and its big brother c-8 67, two exceptional pieces of glass used in cine 8 land, and easily picked up at the world auction place.

Canon C-8 WIDE ATTACHMENT 43

Special supplementary lens (spectra coating) for the Canon 514XL and 514XL-S movie cameras or any camera with 43mm filter thread for super wide-angle cinematography. When the camera is set to wide-angle macro filming and this lens is used, the focal length is fixed at slightly over 4mm, the shortest focal length in the world for 8mm movie camera. Because of this short focal length, the depth of field is so deep that, in good lighting conditions, there is no need for focus adjustment between the closest filming distance and infinity.

find the manual for the 67 threaded version here (the 43 is identical)
http://www.super8.no/Manuals/Canon_C...0languages.pdf

ps they are not zoom through
Anmol Mishra is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders