XF305 Arrived - Test Footage, Trials, Tribulations - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old September 18th, 2010, 02:10 PM   #31
Regular Crew

I've been seriously considering getting the XF300, but I have a stupid question.

With the CF cards are you able to record longer than the (roughly) 12 minutes at a time? Or, like with the Canon 5d Mark II do you have to start recording again once it hits that file size limit.

Great review of the camera so far.
Jeff Lower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 02:18 PM   #32
Vortex Media

Not only can you shoot for the full length of whatever will fit on the card, you can use Relay Recording to hot-swap cards and record non-stop for infinity. This ain't no DSLR. This is a broadcast-quality video camcorder with all the normal features and functions you'd expect to have -- plus a bunch more you don't expect.
Old September 18th, 2010, 02:23 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Thanks Doug. I am pleased to hear that. A canon rep at the Expo told me otherwise, but I just couldn't believe it. Perhaps they thought I was talking about the 5d MKII that I had around my neck.

Thanks for straightening that out for me.
Jeff Lower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2010, 01:13 AM   #34
Trustee

Jeeez! Thanks Steve for the tip on the remote! I was pulling my hair out for a while and finally gave up thinking Canon had supplied me a bad battery for it! I even toggled the in-camera setting to see the remote!

Anyone know a way to reset the TC on the 300 without going into a menu? I just want it to give me per clip length.

Just did two full days of shooting with the 300, 5D and 7D and all I gotta say is Canon's stuff is awesome. The 300 is almost too good as now I'm seeing stray hairs and pores on the talent. This is just a screen grab from the shoot today! I was zoomed in all the way so I could check focus. I think I got it!
Attached Thumbnails
XF305 Arrived - Test Footage, Trials, Tribulations-screen-shot-2010-10-28-12.19.35-am.png  
Old November 1st, 2010, 10:50 AM   #35
Major Player

Fabulous screen grab! Critical focus is *the* way of getting the most out of this camera.

Regarding that time per clip reading... I have no idea how to. I am now believing it does not exist - which is a big bummer!

If you find out a way to change the timecode to time per clip, let me know!

-steev
Old November 1st, 2010, 03:17 PM   #36
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Turchick View Post
Anyone know a way to reset the TC on the 300 without going into a menu? I just want it to give me per clip length.
You can program an Assignable button for faster access to the TC menus, however, with the current firmware, there is no way to display a counter. This is one of the things I complain about in my XF training DVD. The only time data that you can show is ordinary time-code. You cannot show a resettable counter or the duration of the current clip like you can with many other camcorders.
Old November 1st, 2010, 03:21 PM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
however, with the current firmware, there is no way to display a counter. This is one of the things I complain about in my XF training DVD. The only time data that you can show is ordinary time-code. You cannot show a resettable counter or the duration of the current clip like you can with many other camcorders.
Thanks for the clarification on this. We can now stop searching for it. :)
Old November 1st, 2010, 05:22 PM   #38
Trustee

bummer! thanks for clearing that up. thought it was just an omission from the manual but it's a REALLY big omission on Canon's part!
Old November 4th, 2010, 04:02 PM   #39
Major Player

Is there any website where an employee of Canon responds openly about omissions like this, e.g. indicating what their thinking is, and what their plans are to correct them?
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2010, 04:37 PM   #40
Vortex Media

Canon might not even recognize that the camera has some of the shortcomings that we see, let alone consider them "problems" that have to be dealt with. They copied an awful lot of features from the EX1, so it makes you wonder why they'd leave off a few important ones. If they left them off at the start, what makes you think they'll add them later?

Judging from my dealings with Canon this summer when I reported multiple problems with their XF Utility software, and voiced a few concerns about the camera itself during the production of my XF305/300 training DVD, don't hold your breath waiting for any improvements.

Last edited by Doug Jensen; November 4th, 2010 at 05:25 PM.
Doug Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2010, 06:05 PM   #41
Trustee

Doug, curious what some of your other concerns about the camera are. Other than the on/off switch and clip TC reset, I am loving this camera.
The programmable buttons are a killer feature and now the camera really is setup the way I need it to be. Only thing left is to do some matching on the picture profiles between the 300 and my 7D so they get even closer in post.
Old November 4th, 2010, 07:54 PM   #42
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galen Rath View Post
Is there any website where an employee of Canon responds openly about omissions like this, e.g. indicating what their thinking is, and what their plans are to correct them?
No, they don't do that at all. But be assured that they do follow every word about Canon and its products on DVinfo (and probably even other sites) very closely.

The feature set of a particular camera is something we can conjecture about all day, but cannot answer. That kind of proprietary info stay buried deep within most companies. So who knows, maybe they left a few features off so they help differentiate them from a future camera (can you tell I'm holding out for an "XL-F1"???)

;-)
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2010, 05:40 AM   #43
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Turchick View Post
Doug, curious what some of your other concerns about the camera are.
I've talked about many of my XF305/300 concerns in other posts, and I go into quite a bit of detail in my training DVD about what to watch out for and how to work around some of them, so I'm not going to rehash everything all over again. If you're happy with your camera, then that's all the matters.

Personally, I own and have used enough other HD cameras that the shortcomings of the XF305/300 jump right out at me and I can't ignore them. But if I didn't have those other cameras to compare to, then maybe I wouldn't be so critical. Ignorance is bliss. But by the same token, the things that are great about the XF305/300 also jump out at me. The Canon blows the doors off the competition in some regards, and falls short in others. Two bad we can't take the best features from many cameras and create the "perfect" camera.

The XF305/300 are very good cameras. All I'm saying is that you shouldn't expect Canon to add new features or address things we don't like. Take the camera at face value and accept it for what it is. If Canon addresses some of our concerns in future firmware updates or new releases of XF Utility, then that is icing on the cake.
Old November 5th, 2010, 11:37 AM   #44
Major Player

Canon did correct the goof on the XH-A1 of having the image stabilization on-off switch buried in the menu system, and not even allowing the option to add that function to a custom button,.....corrected on the XH-A1S. How much do you have to know about cameras not to get that right on the first try? Jeepers!
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2010, 10:05 AM   #45
Space Hipster

Comparing the XF300 to the EX3, regarding zoom control:

I worked with an EX3 for the past several weeks. Very nice camera, beautiful images. But I wasn't thrilled with the zoom control. It wasn't very smooth, kind of jerky in its movement, at least compared to the 2/3" Canon zoom on my camera.
Also, I couldn't reach over the camera with my left hand and operate the zoom control. Normally. on my 2/3" camera, when I want to zoom and pan/tilt the camera, I reach over or under the zoom lens with my left hand to use the zoom control, and operate the tripod handle with my right.
With the EX3, I had to use my right hand to zoom, and kind of push the camera along with the same hand. This made for less than smooth camera moves and zooms.

So, can the XF zoom be utilized by the left hand? Is the zoom control smooth? Can the XF or EX3 use aftermarket zoom controls attached to the tripod handle?
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders