HDV Deck compatible with A1 "frame" recording - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 30th, 2007, 01:41 AM   #76
Major Player

Bill, I use HV-10 for this with no problems at all... so I would think the HV-20 could as well, if not a tad more robust :)

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 04:43 AM   #77
Major Player

Hi, I have a question concerning this,
can't I just use any regular cheap SD camcorder to upload my HDV tape to computer?
It's digital, so it should be the same, no?

Thanks
Old June 30th, 2007, 05:52 AM   #78
Major Player

Andris,

A regular SD camcorder reads/writes an AVI file and cannot read the MPEG format that HD camcorders use. If you want to use a cheaper camera as a deck for HD you must use an HD model. Along with that, you must use a camera/deck that can read the frame rate and format of the camera you are shooting with. "Standard' HD in the USA for cameras (at this level) is 60i and most cameras will be able to read each others tapes. In addition to this you have several aternate frame rates and file structures. For example, besides 24 frames/sec you have Sony and Canon with their own version of progressive footage and PAL cameras that use 50i and 25p, etc. At this point the only decks available for some of these frame rate/file structures are cameras made by the same manufacturer. That is the reason for the original posters question. He is shooting with a Canon camera and shooting Canons version of 24 frames/progressive footage (24f) and wants to know if the cheaper Canon camera that can also shoot/play 24f will read the tapes from the larger A1.
Lloyd Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 07:41 AM   #79
Major Player

Thank you for the information, but it's quite an expensive solution if all you need is a deck. :(
I recently bought A1 and have been looking for a deck device.
Old June 30th, 2007, 08:16 AM   #80
Regular Crew

I agree and I'm in the same boat. With HDV consumer grade camcorders getting better and prices are falling, owning an older HV10 just for a deck is becoming more affordable. I remember when it was $1100, and now I've seen them from authorized dealers as low as $750 brand new. Whats awesome is if you need a "b" camcorder for some hard to get shots you have a short term solution.
Mike Gorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 10:16 AM   #81
Regular Crew

Hv10

I bought the hv10 from b&h for $699.00 and thats not expensive for a deck+broll... if you do get one buy an extra battery aswell because they dont last very long. also this cam works very well as a deck for the xha1 & plays 24f/30f it just wont record those formats... as far as FCP i wouldnt know because i use PC...

-Sam~!
Sam Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 10:17 AM   #82
Contributor

The HV10 is down to about $700 from B&H, which is why I'm getting interested. I've been loading footage from the XH A1 but really don't like to do that on a regular basis. Also, I'm looking for a good excuse to have a tiny camera that fits in a jacket pocket. I know the HV20 may be a bit better, but my main use would be as a deck, so I really don't need the 20. Any use of the 10 for shooting would be "snapshot" type video, or maybe using it in situations where a bigger camera would not be allowed, ie., when you need to look like a tourist. In those cases I don't need the 20's mic input, etc.

I understand the 20 does 24p, but outputs it as pulldown, so I don't care much about that. Although...I wonder if you shoot 24p with the HV20 and play it back from your XH A1, would it be captured as real 24p like the XH A1's 24p, or would it still do the pulldown thing?
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 08:34 PM   #83
Major Player

A1 deck for HV20 in 24p?

I know the HV20 can be a deck for the A1, but since you can't properly download 24p without cineform in the HV20, can I take the 24p footage I've shot on the HV20 and download with my buddy's A1 in 24f without worry?
Matt Buys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 10:16 PM   #84
Obstreperous Rex

Playing back an HV20 tape in an XH A1 is not going to change 24P into 24F.

In other words, what happens in the camera head of one camcorder does not change when playing back on another camcorder. Playback doesn't change a recording. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 05:24 PM   #85
Regular Crew

Deck Options for XHA1?

From what I understand the 24f mode on the XHA1 can only be played back on the camera and the HV20/10. Are there any other options out there if I want to shoot to tape and capture without wearing the heads?

At work we have a Sony Z1U along with a Sony HDV deck and the combo works great, especially because we can preview HDV from FCP through the deck and on to the SD Color monitor. I would like to see a similar solution for the Canon cameras. I would like to hear any of your ideas and what you do to capture.
Mariano Eckerstrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 11:10 PM   #86
Obstreperous Rex

Frequently asked. Please search before posting.

All Sony HDV decks will play back Canon 1080i60 video.

However no Sony HDV decks will play back Canon 1080p24 or 1080p30 video (otherwise known as Frame mode or 24F and 30F). If you don't want to use your XH A1 as a deck, then you'll need either a Canon HV10 or HV20 consumer HDV camcorder to play back Frame mode 24F and 30F video. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 12:08 PM   #87
Major Player

Bill, did you get an HV20 and what did you learn?

was researching and found your concerns, Bill...

curious what you did and what you found?

thanks,
Lonnie
Lonnie Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 12:18 PM   #88
Contributor

I haven't done anything yet. Still using the XH A1 for loading, but several friends are also shooting with the same cameras and we might get together and buy a collective little camera to share.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 05:26 AM   #89
Regular Crew

h 10 was available from tigerdirect for 460 us
Dan Herrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 02:03 PM   #90
New Boot

deck for XHA1

Thanks, Lloyd, for that very good explanation of the difference between the decks and the proprietary brand issues.

I do believe the HV10 is a fully compatible deck for the XH-A1, and capturing all of its frame rates. However, if someone is purchasing a deck now, I'd recommend the HV20 for the improvements over the HV10. I bought one, and it is a great deck for XH-A1 footage. It does, amazingly, mimic the look of 24f HD from the XHA1, and I was able to use it as a b-camera on a complicated shoot. The two cameras work so well together! HV20 also is able to do full 4:2:2 color space, straight to capture card for compositing green screen shots.

I am really happy with the capabilities of these cameras, and the way they work together. I love that I now have a cheaper deck, and a great b-camera, all in one.
Chris Carroll is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders